Match Thread: Villa V Swansea, Saturday, 20th Oct, 3.00 PM | Page 2 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Villa V Swansea, Saturday, 20th Oct, 3.00 PM

U2. Oh my lord, don't want to take the piss but bone head is so pretencious he could eat himself. I shall be definitely might be sat night at the academy, then human league and ocean colour scene in December.

Am I missing something, or is this maybe in the wrong thread?

Dont think it will be that good for a few weeks yet... international brake...everyone away....douge ....or shite football will continue for a few more weeks to come yet.....I'm always right.sk my 2 ex wives...?????

We have keystone cops defence and Enckleman's cousin in goal . This will require at least 3 goals for us to win .

OK so there isn't much chance he's going to have us playing the Brentford way over night and yes the defence is a god awful mess unless Bedeau is up to the task. Also Chester is back and maybe Axel will be trusted in his natural position. But for me we have offensive players to severely test any teams resolve in this league if we play on the front foot from the off. Plus I do think McGinn will be well suited to playing the Ryan Woods role which was pivotal to Brentfords play. So while I do think it will take time to change our playing style I think the transition might not be as bad as what we may think and myself I am really looking forward to next Saturday now.

Who knows.

Too mang variables to predict. The fact is the new coaches will not have seen most the players until about 48 hours before the gamd so I cant see much changing tactics wise from previous.

Lets just hope the manager bounce will get an extra 20% out of them.

Prediction - if Terry plays 2-0 win
Prediction - if Terry doesnt 2-2 draw

Hopefully a new era and the atmosphere and excitement will put us back on the straight and narrow.

Without wanting to put a downer on the first game, when was the last time we beat Swansea at home? When was the last time we beat Swansea at all? I honestly can’t remember one!

We beat them 2-0 when benteke scored his first goal for us. I can't think of another victory in recent times.

We beat them 2-0 when benteke scored his first goal for us. I can't think of another victory in recent times.
Well remembered, that was 2012. We drew two after that then lost 5 on the bounce.

Last edited:
Well remembered, that was 2012. We drew two after that then lost 5 on the bounce.

Funnily enough that was the first game my two boys ever attended, they were totally disinterested and had to leave early. Roll on to Now they are both fanatical season ticket holders. I just hope and pray they can have even 20% of the success I witnessed whilst growing up with the Villa, and I just think they might Get it

Funnily enough, my abiding memory of Swansea City doesn't relate to the Villa but to Northampton Town, my home town club whose fortunes I also follow and who I watch occasionally. Before anyone yells Judas, the claret and blue always comes before the claret and white on those rare occasions when the clubs clash lol. Posted a little treat from Mark Walters below for anyone on here who attended when the Champions of Europe visited Northampton in the FA Cup, Jan 1983.

Anyway, back to Swansea City. The game in question is the 1997 Division 3 Playoff final, it sticks in my mind as an indication of how clubs fortunes change. The Cobblers had defeated Cardiff City in both games of the semi-final and won the final 1-0 with a goal from former bluenose Ray Train. They were also managed by Ian Atkins, the former blue nose player and Villa scout who has just been sacked. The crowd was 46, 204. 32,000 of whom were Northampton Town fans, leaving Swansea City with just 14,000.

How times changed for all 3 clubs in the ensuing 21 years.

Swansea aren't the team they were. Potter's going to need time to turn them around. He'll set them up defensively, hoping to catch us on the break. If we hammer them there's a fair chance we'll break through, if Deano finds a way to take the shackles off.

We could of course have another no show, in which case they'll win.