Match Thread: Villa V Swansea, Saturday, 20th Oct, 3.00 PM | Page 16 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Villa V Swansea, Saturday, 20th Oct, 3.00 PM

Missed the game and just reading comments I do think we need to just wipe the slate ourselves and give it 12 games to make some judgements now.

No point slating anyone at this point because its an entirely new set up now and they'll all require time to adapt.
This says it for me. I saw people posting about the team selection pre game and suggesting it was a "Bruce team" - so what if it was.

I trust Dean Smith to make the correct choices reference which personnel will be selected. We all have our favourites and comment liberally on who is good, bad or indifferent, but none of us have to live or die by our choices.

SB was not an idiot and he knew who were the players who put the effort in during training, those with the right skill sets. What he couldn't do effectively enough was organise the team to play with structure. Now it is over to DS. We will see incremental changes in the team performances and an evolution of the team as players will be given opportunities based on whether they fit the style and system that he wants us to play. Players will play for the team, potentially at a cost to their own performance, but we will be all the better for that. I have never got the scapegoating of the likes of Westwood, Bacuna, (who tried, but were just not the calibre of player that the fans wanted). I tend to save my wrath for the likes of N'zog, Flabby etc who spent large proportions of their careers with us, shunning responsibility.

Last edited:
It was indeed a Bruce team Merd, One big exception all the players played in the correct positions.
No shoehorning in 4 right backs and sticking Jack out wide .

It was indeed a Bruce team Merd, One big exception all the players played in the correct positions.
No shoehorning in 4 right backs and sticking Jack out wide .
Exactly 57, SB got all the right notes, just not necessarily in the right order - an homage to Eric Morecambe.

Elmo gets a lot of stick, but he has scored 2 and got how many assists? May not be everyone's cup of tea, but he is possibly the best man for the job currently. Let's leave the team selection in DS's capable hands and comment on the overall performance, not an individuals because he may be asked to do a job for the team (to his own detriment) that we are not aware of.