Match Thread - Tottenham Hotspur vs Manchester City - PL | Page 2 | Vital Football

Match Thread - Tottenham Hotspur vs Manchester City - PL

Result?

• Win

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Lose

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’m hoping Lamela is going to be fit for this one . It’s the sort of opponent that he does well against , he ruffles their feathers when they attack and they can’t ignore him when we have the ball .,
As always , I have no idea what sort of team formation Jose will go for . I suppose it’s all down to who is fit . Looking forward to though . Shame it can’t be the goons up next !

We know Jose loves to grind out results so hopefully the low energy showings in the recent games have been just that.

The next 3 PL games are City, Chelsea and Arsenal. That's a big test and will be the true marker for what we are capable of achieving this year. I'm never confident in big games but if we can pick up even 4 points from these then we will be in a very strong position.

Given how they like to play, hopefully it will suit with how Jose will want to play. If it goes according to plan we'll see Son having plenty of changes to run in behind their defence. But I really don't trust out defence against their speedy attack.

If we're serious about being contenders, then in my mind we have to pick up 5 points or more from these games (1 win and two draws).

This is what will show us what we are really about.

Last edited:
Time to unleash Alli so he can show us what he has left against a team that plays in an open manner and is regarded as a top team...time to step up..

It’s been interesting watching City....Sterling is their Lamela, holds the ball too long until he loses it...the predictability of their play is obvious and their high line is food and drink for Kane and Son...should be able to give them a sound thrashing, which is why I have predicted 0-0....nothing on paper ever works out.

Time to unleash Alli so he can show us what he has left against a team that plays in an open manner and is regarded as a top team...time to step up..

It’s been interesting watching City....Sterling is their Lamela, holds the ball too long until he loses it...the predictability of their play is obvious and their high line is food and drink for Kane and Son...should be able to give them a sound thrashing, which is why I have predicted 0-0....nothing on paper ever works out.

That gave me a good belly laugh - well done!

I predict a lot of hair-pulling after this one.

I don't doubt we can score if we're on, but I just don't think we can stop them from it. Dier's stats are boggling my mind, because I can't get comfortable with this guy on the pitch. Some form of denial I'm sure, but this is the type of game he gaffs away.

Anyone paying any attention to the Columbia v Ecuador match, well our guy Dav was awesome, not in a good way.

This will be interesting.

My coaching tactic for our CB's... "When you get it, get rid of it, up the pitch, as fucking far from our goal as possible, as fast as you can. Don't try anything cute, because you'll look fukin stupid."

My writ for PEH... "You are a 'Center Mid Back', don't let them (CB's) fuk it up. Get it, turn it, move it upfield. Don't fuk around, or you'll look stupid."

Jose won’t want to lose this more than he’ll want to win it.

I think he’ll set us up to keep it tight early on and maybe open up depending on how the game goes.

Lloris
Dier Alderweireld Davies
Doherty Sissoko Hojbjerg Reguilon
Kane Ndombele
Son

Subs: Hart, Tanganga, Rodon, Lo Celso, Moura, Bale, Vinicius

What about super sub Lamela?

I predict a lot of hair-pulling after this one.

I don't doubt we can score if we're on, but I just don't think we can stop them from it. Dier's stats are boggling my mind, because I can't get comfortable with this guy on the pitch. Some form of denial I'm sure, but this is the type of game he gaffs away.

Anyone paying any attention to the Columbia v Ecuador match, well our guy Dav was awesome, not in a good way.

This will be interesting.

My coaching tactic for our CB's... "When you get it, get rid of it, up the pitch, as fucking far from our goal as possible, as fast as you can. Don't try anything cute, because you'll look fukin stupid."

My writ for PEH... "You are a 'Center Mid Back', don't let them (CB's) fuk it up. Get it, turn it, move it upfield. Don't fuk around, or you'll look stupid."

Get with the game. Sanchez is the invisible Spur.

So I'm guessing this will be the team:

Lloris, Aurier, Toby, Dier, Reguilon, Sissoko, Hoijberg, Ndombele, Bale, Son, Kane

Jose may leave Bale out and put Lo Celso in there or even put a 3rd CB in?

So Jose put this on instagram

"After another training session with only 6 players"

Who were the 6? My guess would be 6 from Ndombele, Lamela, Vinicius, Dele, Moura, Tanganga, Clarke, Hart, Bergwijn and Gazza. That means 4 of the 10 were on the treatment table.

Let's hope Jose and Dele felt the love in these last few days.

So Jose put this on instagram

"After another training session with only 6 players"

Who were the 6? My guess would be 6 from Ndombele, Lamela, Vinicius, Dele, Moura, Tanganga, Clarke, Hart, Bergwijn and Gazza. That means 4 of the 10 were on the treatment table.

Let's hope Jose and Dele felt the love in these last few days.
I would guess Bergwijn has some sort of injury to excuse the being sent home from Holland. Discount the 2 keepers. Discount Clarke as being a youth player. Then that leaves Ndombele, Lamela, Vinicius, Dele, Moura, Tanganga as the 6.
Unless Tanganga has picked up yet another injury.

If we're going to set up the way we have been recently I can only see us struggle in this match.

It's one thing to sit deep and let the likes of Brighton and WBA have the ball in your half, but City have the players to carve you apart if you give them time on the ball.

I doubt very much if Jose is considering an alternative approach but with players returning in dribs and drabs he wouldn't have any meaningful time in the training ground to practice new tactics anyway.

If nothing else, we need to be more aggressive (legally) when they have the ball. I'd push Sissoko up a bit further with a remit to try and break up their play as soon as players like KDB are on the ball. With his height and weight (6ft 2" and nearly 15 stone) he should be able to win most physical contests without giving fouls away.

Defensively they still look suspect and I can see us scoring. Whether we score more than them I'm not so sure.

Last edited:
Anyone know how many players have been struck by the cursed virus?

I know Doherty is one, and that Son would possibly have to self isolate as 10 Korean team mates all tested positive since their fixtures!

Hope I'm wrong!

Anyone know how many players have been struck by the cursed virus?

I know Doherty is one, and that Son would possibly have to self isolate as 10 Korean team mates all tested positive since their fixtures!

Hope I'm wrong!
I think Son was spotted in training pictures that were published by the club. So fingers cross all is well there. Unless of course he has taken longer to develop it and will test positive tomorrow and he will have brought it in to camp and infected everyone ahead of the series of big games...