Match Thread - Tottenham Hotspur vs Brentford FC - Carabao Cup | Page 9 | Vital Football

Match Thread - Tottenham Hotspur vs Brentford FC - Carabao Cup

Good performance, this was big pressure against a decent side and we gave them hardly anything. A bit lucky with the VAR but overall we deserved it.

So happy we've got over 3 months to wait till the final, means we wont have it in the back of our minds and will fully focus on 3 other comps, wouldn't surprise me if we end up in another final. Big things are coming!!! COYS

PS. I think I want Utd because come April they may not be as good but on the flip side if we had to lose I'd rather lose to City. What you all saying?

Very Impressed with Thomas Frank's interview after the game. Very articulate, gave a good analysis of the game yet praising Spurs. Hope they get into the Premirship, would love to hear his interviews.Good Man.
I hope not, watching him chomping away on that chewing gum made me irrationally frustrated. Not sure I would be able to put up with much more of it

Great result with a good solid performance. Fine margin football again though, it may well have been an uphill battle if VAR hadn't overturned their 'equaliser' by a centimetre. Equally though it would have been tough on Sissoko if a terrific all round performance had been spoilt by the length of his toenail.
It is a pity that the final has been delayed until April. A trophy win by the end of February would be a tremendous lift going into the climax of the PL and Europa League season.
A tough task still lies ahead though. Whether it be City or United this will undoubtedly be the most difficult tie of the competition for us. Hopefully Jose can install a winning mentality for the game, something that was so often missing for our most important games under Poch.

Hojbjerg is lucky to escape a broken leg. That challenge was deliberate, he was going for Hojbjerg, not the ball. He deserves a long ban.
To go into a tackle two footed deserves a long ban . As you say , Hojbjerg is lucky . The state of his leg was awful . That went through his shin pads or took them down his leg as well .

“Never been booked before”........... really . That’s some stat ! If true .

For those that doubt VAR , Mike Dean needed it twice to make the right decisions tonight.
VAR is creating its own problems .
We all know that their goal wasn’t offside, Toney was level with Sissoko and therefore onside .
It’s only the obsession with artificial lines by the official behind the tv screen , that , if they search microscopically enough , they can spoil the game to a degree , for no gain .
Yes we were lucky to get that goal chalked off . It wasn’t the right decision though .

The sending off , just goes to highlight the poor refereeing. There are four of them there , officials, and none of them saw it .
Or if they did see it , they ignored it .
It’s a problem that will only get worse .
What would have happened if some sort of retribution had taken place as the game went , when Dean played on .
If one of our players had taken one of theirs out with a red card offence, would that have stood ? .

Officials need to make their own decisions . If they can’t , they shouldn’t be out there .

I thought it was a very good game .
Brentford are still a Championship side but very spirited .
They had absolutely nothing to loose , everything to gain and we played them very well.
I like the way we set up at the back , other players are coming in and nothing seems to change . We can rest Toby and not loose shape .
Sissoko had a good game , looked like he was given more licence to get forward . He caused them a lot of problems and was good breaking down their play .
Hojbjerg was immense again .
Ndombele was a joy to watch . He amazes me with his ball skills .
, I think only once he got got caught and lost the ball .
The threaded pass to Sonny was brilliant . .
Son and Kane were unbelievable , Kane was all over the pitch , making tackles and headers in defence , passes in midfield , down both wings , and sometimes getting shots in .
Son was everywhere . His runs are a nightmare to defend against .No wonder he was knackered . Not only are his runs decisive , but the pace of them as well , nobody could get near him when he scored , and he had been running that fast from the halfway line . Brilliant ....
for me , Ndom was the man of the match . It’s great to see him complete ninety minutes and a credit to how he has been managed. Even though Jose has been pilloried for it .......... It’s why he is the manager and we aren’t ,
When he has overseen the return of Alli we will be even better .

Vinnie was back on the field , ready for a full game on Sunday.
Moura faded in the last third but put in a good shift .
I thought it was a good game , no point in going all gung ho . .
No point in it at all ,
Got the job done , professional.
We are going back to Wembley .
Neither of the Mancs should be a real concern . We have beaten them both this season .
Jose is doing what he does best .
COYS

He was outstanding, he was like magnet when he got the ball - attracted 3-4 players towards him, yet still found a forward pass 80% of the time - that's a huge skill and art.

He looked more like our old Dembele last night, like you say, the ball just sticks to his feet and he broke through numerous tackles and emerged with the ball whilst driving us forward!
90 mins - AT LAST! :wahey:

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

@hojbjerg23

Of course you didn’t mean it. So don’t worry. I’m a viking and I am fine. But... You owe me a new shin pad

. You have a great future ahead
@joshdasilva_
. Be strong & keep working hard. Best of luck to you and your team. Big hug, Pierre-Emile Højbjerg.
Quote Tweet

r_JAFfnJ_normal.jpg

Joshua Dasilva

@joshdasilva_
· 9h
Anyone that knows me, knows it was never intentional.. will learn from this.

He looked more like our old Dembele last night, like you say, the ball just sticks to his feet and he broke through numerous tackles and emerged with the ball whilst driving us forward!

My only criticism is that he gave the ball away more than he should have, but then when you're doing what he does, it doesn't surprise me.

This is the man who could make our season now.

I've always been somewhat biased toward him, but Sonny's continuing progression is something that provides ever increasing pleasure. His conversion stat of goals scored to genuine goal scoring chances that have come his way this season, must be at a level seldom seen before anywhere.
Whether it be precision passing into the net, chipping over the oncoming GK, dribbling round the GK and side footing into an empty net, or blasting home unstoppable shots, he's got it all. Greatest quality however is that he seems to know exactly how to execute every chance that comes his way.
At current transfer values, given ability age and fitness, I reckon that he is amongst the top five valued players in world football.

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg
@hojbjerg23

Of course you didn’t mean it. So don’t worry. I’m a viking and I am fine. But... You owe me a new shin pad

. You have a great future ahead
@joshdasilva_
. Be strong & keep working hard. Best of luck to you and your team. Big hug, Pierre-Emile Højbjerg.
Quote Tweet

r_JAFfnJ_normal.jpg

Joshua Dasilva

@joshdasilva_
· 9h
Anyone that knows me, knows it was never intentional.. will learn from this.

Well these two players show how to be human and civil...neither of course would be welcome in the deceitfiul Liverpud team...they only want cheaters and dishonest buggers ha ha ..

It's amazing what a good result can do to help form an opinion. Just like a bad result.

Personally, I thought Moura was simply shocking. He had 28 touches in 71 mins and completed only 21 passes. Totally anonymous against a Championship side. According to some, Sissoko was world class. Well he touched the ball 48 times and only completed 36 passes in 95 mins. How come Hojbjerg can get into situations where he touches it 77 times and find a Spurs player 66 times? They play the same position. As another comparative, Winks played just 20 mins and had 26 touches and 23 completed passes. So Moura and Sissoko still headless chickens for me, totally backed up by their stats. I'll give Sissoko some slack though as at least him running around a lot serves a purpose.

It was a crap game and pretty much every stat was equal between the 2 sides. Clearly we crafted the better chances though. What we're actually seeing is a side coming out of a slump. We've set the bar so low that now we get all happy clappy when we see a marginal improvement. That's OK, but the moment we get more on the front foot against a better side they will own us.

We should enjoy getting to a cup final, but do need the reality check that there is so much more improvement needed.

I find it hard to believe that Ndombele has found another 30 minutes in his tank in the last few days.

There have been times recently when he's been substituted that he's looked to me as though he's had quite a bit left. Some players - and sportspeople in general - just blow heavily but it doesn't always mean they are completely out of breath. I don't know whether Ndombele falls into this category.

But I think it's more about Jose not wanting to split the Sissoko/PEH axis or Winks/PEH latterly. And he doesn't want/trust Ndombele in that position.

Also, Lo Celso isn't going to be happy for long keeping the bench warm. At least not when he's fully fit. So Jose has compromised and given Ndombele the first hour or so and then bringing on Lo Celso. But that won't go on indefinitely.

It's amazing what a good result can do to help form an opinion. Just like a bad result.

Personally, I thought Moura was simply shocking. He had 28 touches in 71 mins and completed only 21 passes. Totally anonymous against a Championship side. According to some, Sissoko was world class. Well he touched the ball 48 times and only completed 36 passes in 95 mins. How come Hojbjerg can get into situations where he touches it 77 times and find a Spurs player 66 times? They play the same position. As another comparative, Winks played just 20 mins and had 26 touches and 23 completed passes. So Moura and Sissoko still headless chickens for me, totally backed up by their stats. I'll give Sissoko some slack though as at least him running around a lot serves a purpose.

It was a crap game and pretty much every stat was equal between the 2 sides. Clearly we crafted the better chances though. What we're actually seeing is a side coming out of a slump. We've set the bar so low that now we get all happy clappy when we see a marginal improvement. That's OK, but the moment we get more on the front foot against a better side they will own us.

We should enjoy getting to a cup final, but do need the reality check that there is so much more improvement needed.
Agree completely. That's pretty much how I saw it. For large parts of the game it was hard to discern who was the Premier League team.

Funny I would never class Goldberg as a viking.....I thought Sewdish and Norwegian folk were more likely of Viking heirtage than Danish and Dutch history. Having read up on this whilst my wife watched the series on TV. So Goldberg ....know your roots, a;lthough it is all very misty in that neck of the woods. The sagas and annuls are very crossed and unclear.