Match Thread - Tottenham Hotspur vs Brentford FC - Carabao Cup | Page 10 | Vital Football

Match Thread - Tottenham Hotspur vs Brentford FC - Carabao Cup

It's amazing what a good result can do to help form an opinion. Just like a bad result.

Personally, I thought Moura was simply shocking. He had 28 touches in 71 mins and completed only 21 passes. Totally anonymous against a Championship side. According to some, Sissoko was world class. Well he touched the ball 48 times and only completed 36 passes in 95 mins. How come Hojbjerg can get into situations where he touches it 77 times and find a Spurs player 66 times? They play the same position. As another comparative, Winks played just 20 mins and had 26 touches and 23 completed passes. So Moura and Sissoko still headless chickens for me, totally backed up by their stats. I'll give Sissoko some slack though as at least him running around a lot serves a purpose.

It was a crap game and pretty much every stat was equal between the 2 sides. Clearly we crafted the better chances though. What we're actually seeing is a side coming out of a slump. We've set the bar so low that now we get all happy clappy when we see a marginal improvement. That's OK, but the moment we get more on the front foot against a better side they will own us.

We should enjoy getting to a cup final, but do need the reality check that there is so much more improvement needed.

I was begging for Moura to come off during a 1:1 debate with 80 during the game - so I'm glad you could see it too.

It wasn't a great display, but it was great to see N'dom get back on track - at long last!

As for better teams owning us, it wouldn't surprise me, as for Sissoko, at least he did what I've been screaming for us to do for sometime - which is run beyond their midfield and create the extra man, mind you when ten minutes later he breaks away with the ball at his feet, has a surging run only to trip himself up and give the ball away, I laughed out loud!

Deano exulted in failing to send off their man for a wild tackle to break our counter attack. How much must it have gutted him to take that tragic walk to the pitchside monitor?

I assume everyone clocked Dean's reaction when Reggie (on a yellow) went to ground and tried a sliding tackle just in his own half. You could tell by his body language that he would have happily got the attention he craves and shown that second yellow. No different from the earlier Brentford one, but you could tell it was at the stage of the game where he could steal the headlines.

Jose soon mitigated that by getting Davies stripped and ready to come one.

That is the thing with Dean. As a big club, you can't trust him. The bigger club you are, the more likely he is to find that moment to get himself the headlines. Horrible man.

I was begging for Moura to come off during a 1:1 debate with 80 during the game - so I'm glad you could see it too.

It wasn't a great display, but it was great to see N'dom get back on track - at long last!

As for better teams owning us, it wouldn't surprise me, as for Sissoko, at least he did what I've been screaming for us to do for sometime - which is run beyond their midfield and create the extra man, mind you when ten minutes later he breaks away with the ball at his feet, has a surging run only to trip himself up and give the ball away, I laughed out loud!

Yep, I'm sure club mascot Moura will be taking Jose's his morning coffee and biscuit. He'll then participate in another marketing video for the club and surprise some unexpected families on their stadium tour. He'll then carry Jose's bag to his car for him at the end of it. All in a days work right?

As for the midfield trio, at least we started with the 1 + 2 combo for a change. As you say, Sissoko was allowed to break the lines and get further forward in this one. It will be interesting to see who Jose targets in the transfer market to bring more attributes to that "Essien" role.

I've always been somewhat biased toward him, but Sonny's continuing progression is something that provides ever increasing pleasure. His conversion stat of goals scored to genuine goal scoring chances that have come his way this season, must be at a level seldom seen before anywhere.
Whether it be precision passing into the net, chipping over the oncoming GK, dribbling round the GK and side footing into an empty net, or blasting home unstoppable shots, he's got it all. Greatest quality however is that he seems to know exactly how to execute every chance that comes his way.
At current transfer values, given ability age and fitness, I reckon that he is amongst the top five valued players in world football.
Absolutely. I think it's more important that he signs a new contract with us than Kane.

Absolutely. I think it's more important that he signs a new contract with us than Kane.

It's amazing re: his near referential status now, that first season he joined he wasn't great but I'd watched him in Germany (I was doing a lot of traveling to and throu then), and I thought he was outstanding and would need sometime to settle but was a smart buy - yet here for almost 18 months he was being written off - I think it shows just how far he's come and how good he now is.

It's amazing re: his near referential status now, that first season he joined he wasn't great but I'd watched him in Germany (I was doing a lot of traveling to and throu then), and I thought he was outstanding and would need sometime to settle but was a smart buy - yet here for almost 18 months he was being written off - I think it shows just how far he's come and how good he now is.
Well for the first season or so we only saw glimpses of what he may become. There was no guarantee he could make the transition from the German league to the PL. And I seem to remember - like Ndombele - he struggled to last the full 90 minutes for the first 12-18 months. His fitness now is incredible. And he even made a great defensive block in our penalty area last night! I had to wait for the replay to double check it was actually him.

Many will disagree but I think that that is now the case. Whether however he would still be as good a player without Harry alongside is arguable.
Probably not in the current set up. But he does seem to be forming a semblance of an understanding with Ndombele now. And if/when Kane does leave and the money is reinvested wisely in another quality forward, that will help him. Kane's value to Son at present is as much in the role of a number 10 as it is as a CF who he can dovetail with.

My problem with Son was always his defensive contribution. We played 4-2-3-1 and Eriksen and Dele had to do all of the defensive thinking for him. Obviously in that system you need the 3 to be switched on to make the 5 man midfield. Fans would simply confuse him working hard with working smart and I said over and over that he needed some tough love from Poch. He was pulling out of tackles and going through the motions in the shutting down. Not much wrong at the right end of the pitch though.

Fortunately, Jose saw exactly the same thing and went to town on him. He is now such a complete player, but will need constantly reminding to stay switched on defensively. I'm guessing Jose has made the defending piece a lot simpler i.e. there is no choice. Just do it habitually.

Well for the first season or so we only saw glimpses of what he may become. There was no guarantee he could make the transition from the German league to the PL. And I seem to remember - like Ndombele - he struggled to last the full 90 minutes for the first 12-18 months. His fitness now is incredible. And he even made a great defensive block in our penalty area last night! I had to wait for the replay to double check it was actually him.

Son's problem in his first season was this guy called Dele Alli. Even Poch admitted that he had expected Son to be playing and Dele to still be developing from the bench. Instead it was Dele that stole the shirt and left Sonny out of the side for a bunch of it.

Son's problem in his first season was this guy called Dele Alli. Even Poch admitted that he had expected Son to be playing and Dele to still be developing from the bench. Instead it was Dele that stole the shirt and left Sonny out of the side for a bunch of it.

I think that Sonny's problem in his early career with us was a combination of Poch and Erik Lamela. At that time Poch had a clear preference for Lamela, whereby irrespective of how they played Sonny was always first off or first out. It was only from the time that Lamela's injury problems started to take hold that Sonny was given a fair crack at establishing himself by Poch.

I'll always remember a period when Sonny was in the team and on a bit of a scoring run, presumably Harry was injured, whereby he was the designated penalty taker. In a match against City however Lamela 'pulled rank' on him, took the ball away from him when Son was about to put it on the spot, took it himself, and promptly missed. I didn't know whether to be furious, or to laugh my socks off.

Seems a long time ago now.

Which in Dele's case, IMO, was the worst case of player management I've ever seen. Pochettino favourite status did not do Dele any development favours.

I think that Sonny's problem in his early career with us was a combination of Poch and Erik Lamela. At that time Poch had a clear preference for Lamela, whereby irrespective of how they played Sonny was always first off or first out. It was only from the time that Lamela's injury problems started to take hold that Sonny was given a fair crack at establishing himself by Poch.

I'll always remember a period when Sonny was in the team and on a bit of a scoring run, presumably Harry was injured, whereby he was the designated penalty taker. In a match against City however Lamela 'pulled rank' on him, took the ball away from him when Son was about to put it on the spot, took it himself, and promptly missed. I didn't know whether to be furious, or to laugh my socks off.

A memorable moment though;.

Which in Dele's case, IMO, was the worst case of player management I've ever seen. Pochettino favourite status did not do Dele any development favours.

It's hard to remember. I don't recall having an issue with Dele's inclusion at the time but it was very clear that it wasn't about Lamela, Dele or Son. The main man was Eriksen and if you took him out of the team, we looked like we were missing a vital organ.

This was my recollection of Son's early career with us.

Ivan Toney looks set to follow path of Neal Maupay and Oliie Watkins

Tom Roddy

Wednesday January 06 2021, 9.00am, The Times

Ivan Toney showed those outside the Sky Bet Championship how Brentford have continued their incredible run of scouting success. Toney is the summer signing from Peterborough United. He was brought to Brentford for £5 million to replace Ollie Watkins, who had joined Aston Villa for £33 million having originally replaced Neal Maupay, who joined Brighton and Hove Albion for £20 million. Toney is already the Championship’s joint-top scorer and caused problems for Davinson Sánchez all night. Were it not for a questionable VAR ruling which cancelled out his equaliser for an offside knee, Toney would have scored his 17th goal of an already impressive season. Brentford have done it again.
%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F1dc90e76-4ffd-11eb-ad71-ea6bb4a570af.jpg

Toney was a constant threat to Spurs and was unlucky not to take his tally for the seaosn to 17
REX FEATURES
Aurier improved under Mourinho
An insight into how José Mourinho views Serge Aurier’s reliability in defence was illustrated in last year’s Amazon series, All or Nothing. “I am afraid of you marking,” Mourinho told a stony-faced Aurier in front of his team-mates. Almost a year on and Aurier could be one of the group of Tottenham players who have turned their fortunes around under the manager, as the Ivorian made vital interceptions against Ivan Toney while covering for others. Replacing the suspended Matt Doherty, who has struggled to find the form that saw him impress at Wolverhampton Wanderers, Aurier did more than enough to put himself in contention for more opportunities. Aurier has improved this season but let himself down by conceding a stupid penalty in the defeat by Leicester last month.

Different leagues
Mourinho said he had given Brentford the Premier League treatment when it came to preparation for their Carabao Cup semi-final, such was the talent of Thomas Frank’s team. And yet the difference between the two London clubs in terms of history was clear with this being Brentford’s first major semi-final and Tottenham Hotspur’s 45th. The cost of the two startling line-ups also showed the gulf between the teams as well as a contrasting model, with Spurs naming a side worth £260 million compared to just £32 million for Brentford.
Easy route to the final
The strange nature of the Carabao Cup this season meant that, while both teams had the same chance of reaching the final, one had worked far harder to get to the last four. This was only Tottenham’s third match in the competition, having been given a bye when Covid-19 prevented their game against Leyton Orient going ahead, whereas Frank’s side had already beaten five opponents. They were far from straightforward, too. After knocking out Wycombe Wanderers, Brentford only played Premier League opposition, beating Southampton, West Bromwich Albion, Fulham and Newcastle United. Frank’s Sky Bet Championship side have beaten more Premier League teams than Sheffield United, West Brom and Fulham combined this year.
Midfielder’s 100 per cent conversion rate
Before kick-off, Moussa Sissoko revealed Jose Mourinho’s orders to his team, that they were to attack Brentford and not sit back. Watching Sissoko convert an early header after his cleverly-timed run and positioning suggested a midfielder used to this approach, and yet the opposite is true. Indeed, the Tottenham midfielder’s finish was not only his first goal of the season but his first shot since the campaign began (Sissoko was making his 26th appearance). The France international has averaged a goal a year at Tottenham since signing from Newcastle in 2016. Spurs won every league game Sissoko scored in, yet lost the only Carabao Cup goal he scored, against West Ham United in October 2017.

Well these two players show how to be human and civil...neither of course would be welcome in the deceitfiul Liverpud team...they only want cheaters and dishonest buggers ha ha ..
Did you see Mane’s dive the other night against the Saints . He turned what looked like a genuine penalty into a goal kick with a ridiculous dive .
Any hope that the ref would give the penalty , vanished when he went down about six foot from where he was touched and in a horizontal “star jump”.
He has to learn from his team mate , Salah , who has perfected the double footed ankle raise , bringing both heels up to his arse at the same time , arching his back , throwing his arms in the air , and screaming all at the same time .
Works every time . Poetry in motion .