Match Thread: The Imps V Southport FC | Page 8 | Vital Football

Match Thread: The Imps V Southport FC

looking at the table, 4th and 5th place is wide open to a lot of teams. Even Grimsby aren't guaranteed play offs. Shaping up nicely, come on you imps!

Makes the up coming matches against Tranmere and Dover interesting, could well decide our final position.

Grimsby could well be dragged back into the mix with a couple more poor results - who would have expected them to get one solitary point from games against Boreham Wood and Halifax?

Just goes to show there is everything to play for, you never know what will happen next.

Looking at the table, 78 points may well be enough this season; we need another 26 points, 9 wins will do it. Or 8 wins and 2 draws.

Exactly right Scotimp. All we can do is keep winning and taking it a game at a time. This is a crazy league and almost any team can beat the other. Get the points in and let's see.

8 wins are required and then maybe a little bit of luck to achieve the playoffs. Football is about ifs, buts and maybe. But we may rue being two up at home against Barrow, conceading in the last minute away at Halifax and last week's two points dropped.

However I thought today we thoroughly deserved the win and was quite surprised at times how pedestrian we made a supposedly top defence away from home look.

Stand out performance was Caton, however, I thought Wood was equally as impressive.

Credit to Moyses and all the players, it was the best performance I have seen from them in a while I missed the Eastleigh game though.

I thought commitment and hardwork was excellent also the two wide men created a plan B and at times some excellent football. Best game I have seen Tempest have, all the midfield were excellent with the movement and tackling and actually showing a desire to receive the ball and not treat it like a hot potato. Read 100% as usual along with Muldoon.

JT_LCFC - 20/2/2016 17:41

8 wins are required and then maybe a little bit of luck to achieve the playoffs. Football is about ifs, buts and maybe. But we may rue being two up at home against Barrow, conceading in the last minute away at Halifax and last week's two points dropped.

However I thought today we thoroughly deserved the win and was quite surprised at times how pedestrian we made a supposedly top defence away from home look.

Stand out performance was Caton, however, I thought Wood was equally as impressive.

I'd add losing to FGR when they went down to 10 and maybe the Dover match to that list. Far too many dropped points where we really should have got more.

imps_joe - 20/2/2016 17:49

I'd add losing to FGR when they went down to 10 and maybe the Dover match to that list. Far too many dropped points where we really should have got more.

Every club could say the same

Well, that was an absolute pleasure. Both the last two home games have been. Good mixed football, plenty of pace mixed with patience when required; good accurate passing over both short and long distances from nearly all of the team. Caton is just a class above and unfortunately no chance of keeping him in the closed season because he really is just too good. Muldoon; so glad I had faith in him throughout. Yet again, LCFC prove they are better at proper football than long ball so why do we ever resort to it?

DEEPING IMP - 20/2/2016 18:00

imps_joe - 20/2/2016 17:49

Every club could say the same

Yes, but I can't think of many games when we've come from two down or scored a late equaliser/ winner. Boreham wood early in the season, but my memory isn't very good.

Very enjoyable, fully deserved win. Plenty of good football, committed challenges and work rate. Back 4 were all solid. Beavers played one brilliant cross field ball in the 1st half and Wood put some decent balls in the box. 1st time I've seen McCoombe since he returned and he looks good , no coincidence we're unbeaten since he came back. All 4 across the middle had good games and we dominated the midfield, something I can't remember for ages. Keep this squad together, with a couple of quality additions and the next season will be a good one. Credit to Moyses for steadying the ship and getting us playing entertaining football. Caton was dangerous every time he got the ball. Great to see what a balanced team can do.

A post from there forum

"
They sliced through our defence like a knife through butter for their second and third goal . Lincoln deserved the points, they are a team on the up again and it showed. That bloomin drum is so irritating, glad we don't have to put up with that nonsense at Haig Ave."

Superb today, they all put in a shift. They were as negative a side as I've seen this season with at times 6 and 7 across the back. Well done lads for breaking them down. That second goal was fantastic as good a goal as we've scored in years that pass from Muldoon was sublime.

All today did was prove that we are 2 goals better than a poor Southport at the moment. But we won't finish anywhere within a sniff of the play offs. Nowhere near being a sustainable play off squad.

Deluded if anyone is holding onto to some sort of hope.

SkellyIsWatching - 20/2/2016 19:59

All today did was prove that we are 2 goals better than a poor Southport at the moment. But we won't finish anywhere within a sniff of the play offs. Nowhere near being a sustainable play off squad.

Deluded if anyone is holding onto to some sort of hope.

Just got back from Halifax, I can understand you being a bit annoyed

Grimsby aren't certain to make the playoffs yet either, for a million plus budget to be 20pts off the pace surely Hurst has to go?