Match Thread: The Imps V Southport FC | Page 10 | Vital Football

Match Thread: The Imps V Southport FC

Stevie_imp - 21/2/2016 09:03

Steve O'Dare - 21/2/2016 08:52

Stevie_imp - 20/2/2016 15:43

Why on earth has Muldoon been booked ?
For being an idiot I am afraid.

What did he do Steve ? They weren't clear on the BBC Lincs coverage.
Every time there was a corner he was involved in pushing and shoving with his marker. Both he and a Southport player had been warned about it. I guess when it happened again the referee judged him to be the instigator.

Stevie_imp - 21/2/2016 09:03

Steve O'Dare - 21/2/2016 08:52

Stevie_imp - 20/2/2016 15:43

Why on earth has Muldoon been booked ?
For being an idiot I am afraid.

What did he do Steve ? They weren't clear on the BBC Lincs coverage.
Wrestling a defender to the ground and then gobbing off! Seemed strangely wound up all game. Glad he was hooked before it turned red!

I think Muldoon lost it a bit when he was held back making a run through the back line and neither official noticed. He looked furious, had a go at the lino and seemed to spend the rest of the game fuming.

NottyImp - 21/2/2016 09:36

I think Muldoon lost it a bit when he was held back making a run through the back line and neither official noticed. He looked furious, had a go at the lino and seemed to spend the rest of the game fuming.
Very poor bit of officiating by the linesman. Appears to me that some of those running the line do nothing other than check whether the ball has gone out of play and look for offsides and they cannot do that properly. In this instance I can understand the referee not seeing the pull-back but not the linesman.

Just seen our second goal on banter, what an absolute beaut that was. Probably the best passing goal Lincoln have scored since the Schoey days.

The linesman had to turn to Dino Maamria and say "Don't talk to me again" in the second half because he started chipping away in his ear.

The linesman then had a word with another one of the Southport staff members.

Right bunch of moaners!

Just thought it was a team full of excellent performances. I'm a critic of a handful of players but not yesterday. All excellent.

Just been reading their manager's comments in the NLP, priceless!!!
'We're a big physical side' All our play went through Rhead' Really??!!! They were probably the biggest side I've seen this season! Can't understand why other teams would say that now when we are a big physical side when we have Caton, Hawkridge, Muldoon,Wood and Power who are all between 5'6" and 5'9"

A very commendable performance and the variety provided by Caton has certainly increased our options. I read somewhere recently that having Muldoon play so well up front has also recently increased our options. Well, that's not strictly the case as this has been an option since August. Rhead has the pressure taken off him by having a partner prepared to work directly off him and not "in the hole". When Hearn has not been fit we have not properly explored the options of others playing closer to Rhead.

I think I was more patient with Hearn than most (even after the Barrow debacle) but with both Muldoon and McDaid looking lively partners for Rhead perhaps even I can stop obsessing about Hearn!!

There are still concerns. Our central midfield needs strengthening though I did like the way both Tempest and Power pressed a bit higher up than usual.

Bush at centre-back remains a concern for me. Nice though it is to have a ball playing centre-back it must not be forgotten the first priority is to defend. He has a tendancy to get dragged out of position and his marking at set pieces needs improving. He is still a bit too casual in much of his play. Personally, I would prefer Howe or Waterfall to be learning their business alongside McCombe. They are both in my opinion better defenders than Bush. That's not to say Bush is bad, he just gives me the heebie-jeebies a bit too often. If he can iron out some of those aspects I'd be well pleased.

mccombe has a couple of hundred games at a higher level than any of our current crop, defenders or management... i wonder if he had any say on who his preferred partner would be?

must admit i like to see a left footed centre back in the pairing.

good to see power keeping it simple and having a good game. overall good performance yesterday, and the difference when we control midfield is obvious. as was the difference in quality between a youngster coming in from shrewsbury and the youngsters we bring in through our youth system.

southport were poor though, although how poor they looked was at least partly down to how well we played.

nlondonimp - 21/2/2016 14:03

mccombe has a couple of hundred games at a higher level than any of our current crop, defenders or management... i wonder if he had any say on who his preferred partner would be?

McCombe is a great signing for us and I'm delighted he will be here next year. He adds the much needed experience to the centre of the defence. However, he is still slow. I'd like to see us sign a fast defender to partner him, someone like Audel.

Then all we need is Caton to sign, a left back, a couple of centre mids and a striker and we'll have the makings of a really good starting 11.

Big Jack McGinley - 21/2/2016 13:4

There are still concerns. Our central midfield needs strengthening though I did like the way both Tempest and Power pressed a bit higher up than usual.

Bush at centre-back remains a concern for me. Nice though it is to have a ball playing centre-back it must not be forgotten the first priority is to defend. He has a tendancy to get dragged out of position and his marking at set pieces needs improving. He is still a bit too casual in much of his play. Personally, I would prefer Howe or Waterfall to be learning their business alongside McCombe. They are both in my opinion better defenders than Bush. That's not to say Bush is bad, he just gives me the heebie-jeebies a bit too often. If he can iron out some of those aspects I'd be well pleased.

I agree, BJM, with regards Power and Tempest - they were both superb yesterday.

As for your comments re Bush, did he actually make a proper mistake yesterday? One that led to a goal? No, he did not. Having said that, I do know what you mean - in a nutshell, he's an accident waiting to happen?

Impalex - 21/2/2016 14:13

As for your comments re Bush, did he actually make a proper mistake yesterday? One that led to a goal? No, he did not. Having said that, I do know what you mean - in a nutshell, he's an accident waiting to happen?

I think he has the attributes to be a really good centre-back. For the older readers like a less talented version of Tony James (it's a back-handed compliment) Let's hope he heads that way before the mistakes kick in.

Impalex - 21/2/2016 22:13

I like Bush at centre-half. I think he brings something extra to the team there with his ability on the ball. Granted he has not got real pace but how many that play there have? I think it would be an excellent idea now for him to have an extended run in the team alongside McCombe until the end of the season. I think that we will find he will prove to be pretty accomplished in the role. As for him being a mistake waiting to happen. All players can make mistakes!

Well, since Bush (and McCombe, of course) have been our CB partnership we've taken 10 points from 12. I also think he hit some lovely long passes on Saturday that helped release the wingers on occasion.

He will make mistakes and I agree he can look a bit awkward and clumsy but I think credit to the lad for winning back his place and playing well.

NottyImp - 22/2/2016 09:34

Well, since Bush (and McCombe, of course) have been our CB partnership we've taken 10 points from 12. I also think he hit some lovely long passes on Saturday that helped release the wingers on occasion.

He will make mistakes and I agree he can look a bit awkward and clumsy but I think credit to the lad for winning back his place and playing well.
:clappy: