Match Thread: Sunderland v Lincoln City | Page 50 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Sunderland v Lincoln City

I suppose we should afford them a little bit of credit for refusing to know their place, four seasons in.

Four seasons into the National League and I don't recall too many of us still banging on about demanding we should automatically be back in the EFL. Reality had struck most of us by that point.

I listened to one of their prematch podcasts and it sounds like them being in the championship is more equivalent to us being in the conference back then (at the time we felt like we were definitely a league 2 team) and at the moment it's more like if we had dropped into the conference North. Either way who gives a f**k they lost :D I hope we finish the job on Sunday!!!

I listened to one of their prematch podcasts and it sounds like them being in the championship is more equivalent to us being in the conference back then (at the time we felt like we were definitely a league 2 team) and at the moment it's more like if we had dropped into the conference North. Either way who gives a f**k they lost :D I hope we finish the job on Sunday!!!

Prior to their current sojourn, I believe they've only spent 1 season in Division 3.

Prior to about 1958, they had spent their entire history in the top flight, I think. The first team they played in Division 2? Lincoln City.

Top bins, take the keeper out the equation. However not everybody has the bottle or technique of Shearer or Redfearn to do it.

Jorge tried it once v Donny? and missed.

... but never tried it again.

I thought it was the right penalty that day as he nearly always goes keeper's bottom right.

You need a bit of variation to keep the keeper guessing.

If I were MA I would just instruct him to occasionally go top corners (and take the blame if he misses).

He won't miss often and the keeper won't be so sure where he's going.

This is entertaining. Arguing about whether they think that others think that they think they are billy big bollocks🤣

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/other-club’s-supporters-assuming-we-think-we-have-a-devine-right-to-be-promoted.1551271/

I didn't realise Billy Elliot managed Sunderland.

Not sure where the beauty, elegance and determination to win has gone since then.

Oh wait, Billy Elliott was a fictional story of an innocent overcoming adversity, bringing a community together and understanding that you have to earn your place in life and shouldn't be shaped by your origins,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Elliott_(footballer)

Last edited:
I should add that I don't think the posters criticising Keith Andrews or to an extent Alan Parry are a fair representation.

Alan Parry seemed to try and sensationalise every moment and thus bigging up the David & Goliath scenario throughout the first game and in the second he was just detailing reality that Sunderland absolutely dominated us first half.

Keith Andrews was waxing lyrical about us in the first leg and was again fair in the second game. Can't criticise commentators for only going on about Sunderland when they have had the ball 70% of the time and we have yet to have a real attack.

I think this is borne out by the almost identikit posts about the commentary on the Sunderland board who thought they were biased towards us in both games.

First game was definitely biased in our favour from the kick off if you want to call it biased but it was just a fair representation of what was going on. We played well from the start on Wednesday and thus we got most of the praise through the game.

Today we hardly had a kick in the first half let alone got out of our half and thus we hardly got a mention.

Last edited:
Commentators were fine in terms of describing what was going on and who was doing what. There were mistakes in the descriptions of personnel from a commentary team that were unfamiliar with both teams, but by and large I thought it was fair.

That said, I clearly didn't want to hear as much about Sunderland, Wyke and McGeady in the first-half of the second game because it was a perfectly reasonable reflection of the fact that they were hammering us every which way but loose.

Commentators were fine in terms of describing what was going on and who was doing what. There were mistakes in the descriptions of personnel from a commentary team that were unfamiliar with both teams, but by and large I thought it was fair.

That said, I clearly didn't want to hear as much about Sunderland, Wyke and McGeady in the first-half of the second game because it was a perfectly reasonable reflection of the fact that they were hammering us every which way but loose.
Until MApp said "right turn Clyde"

Agree with this. I wasn't convinced we would ever get back!
A mate who's a Vale fan messaged me to pass on his congratulations last night and I said I couldn't believe that in 6 years we had gone from me not thinking we would ever get back in the league to being a game away from playing in the Championship. Crazy. 60 years since we were second tier...please...

Last edited: