Match Thread: Sunderland v Lincoln City | Page 42 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Sunderland v Lincoln City

To go there with 10k screaming loons in your ear with the imps contingent being a few and get through is a fantastic result.

next week will be very different neutral stadium equal number of supporters. It will be a different game

I think the other lot, like Underland, big bollocks Club stuff, will think they are favourites and could work in our favour again.

• team_member.png
  • 9,264 posts
Posted 2 hours ago
That banging on the tin is like being at Feethams

Brill

Didn't have time to post my thoughts on the first half at half time, but agreed with most of what others said. We just didn't play with our usual composure at all, whether it was due to Sunderland being more up for it, or whether we couldn't cope with the big occasion. We really needed to hold them to 1-0 at half time, but the way things were going it looked as if it was just a question of how many they would score. Scully not in the game, and Grant and Johnson hardly at all, plus unlike on Wednesday night we looked vulnerable to high balls at the back.

But with the changes in personnel and attitude at half time, it was more like it, and I think it was our improved performance that silenced the crowd even before we scored. We had three good chances to make things safe, not least the penalty - although they had chances too of course. But McGrandles and Walsh made all the difference and everyone else raised their game - but does anyone else think Grant is not quite on his game compared to before his injury? (Nothing to do with the penalty miss).

Regarding any perceived bias of the Sky coverage, after last Wednesday's game I waded through a lot of the 180+ match thread pages on their equivalent of this Forum and they practically all thought Sky were biased in our favour that night.

Shock! Horror! Pub team makes it to Wembley!
Steve Evans rings referees boss to demand inquiry!
Sammy (cheating bastard) Szmodics wets pants due to possible meeting next season.
Karl Robinson says Lincoln should get Porthcabin changing room.
Riots on Wearside!

Last edited:
Just back from watching game. Not had time to read the thread but ....
What a game. Nerves completely shredded and numerous bricks shat. Firs5 half well beaten and lucky to be only two down. Def penno to them in my opinion. Second half different game. Mighty Imps plaging our own game. Hopper hits the bar with a great header before planting a perfect one past Burge. Grant looked like he was go8ng to miss before he did and Connor very unlucky not to score after a fantastic side step to give himself the opening. Nail biting hours till the ref blew. Can’t say how excited I am. Feel like a 10 year old on Christmas Eve. 8 sleeps till Wembley. Going to feel like 100. 🤣🤣. Just preying 8 will be able to get a ticket. If not, TV it is. UTI 👊👊💥👏👏

Thought we were totally off the pace first half bit MA sorted things out at half time and we got through,

A couple of points we need to stop giving daft free kicks away outside the penalty area and we need to take the golden chances when they come along.

Alright, I confess, I was there. Well, working in Sunderland for 20 years had to pay off in one way or another, didn't it?

Thought we'd blown it at half-time as they had all the momentum, Sunderland seemed up for it, and their fans too (though the hysterical whistling/booing of Palmer, for time-wasting, from before he'd even collected the ball after it went out of play, was bewildering - literally from the first minute!). But as others have pointed out, it was the proverbial game of two halves and as Merthyr says a couple of posts ago, the supporters around me (I was in the end behind the goal where we were last time) started to lose their enthusiasm pretty early in the second half.

My workmate felt that Sunderland were under instruction to 'calm down' after they scored the second. He couldn't understand why? Maybe it was to 'calm down' kicking seven shades of shit out of Morgan Rogers though?? (What a game he had)

Last edited:
Alright, I confess, I was there. Well, working in Sunderland for 20 years had to pay off in one way or another, didn't it?

Thought we'd blown it at half-time as they had all the momentum, Sunderland seemed up for it, and their fans too (though the hysterical whistling/booing of Palmer, for time-wasting, from before he'd even collected the ball after it went out of play, was bewildering - literally from the first minute!). But as others have pointed out, it was the proverbial game of two halves and as Merthyr says a couple of posts ago, the fans around me (I was in the end behind the goal where we were last time) started to lose their enthusiasm pretty early in the second half.

My workmate felt that Sunderland were under instruction to 'calm down' after they scored the second. He couldn't understand why? Maybe it was to 'calm down' kicking seven shades of shit out of Morgan Rogers though?? (What a game he had)
Great to hear uve witnessed it

Last edited:
Great to here uve witnessed it

You probably all saw much more than me. Everything of note happened at the other end. Apart from our penalty decision - that was clear as day even from my distant viewpoint.

Oh, did get to see Sunderland trying to hopelessly launch it into the box, like a fourth division side, in the final ten minutes. You could just tell it wasn't going to lead anywhere.

Thought we'd blown it at half-time as they had all the momentum, Sunderland seemed up for it, and their fans too (though the hysterical whistling/booing of Palmer, for time-wasting, from before he'd even collected the ball after it went out of play, was bewildering - literally from the first minute!). But as others have pointed out, it was the proverbial game of two halves and as Merthyr says a couple of posts ago, the fans around me (I was in the end behind the goal where we were last time) started to lose their enthusiasm pretty early in the second half.

Ah, that's why you asked. I don't have those kind of connections, I'm afraid.