Match Thread: Stockport County v Lincoln City | Page 5 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Stockport County v Lincoln City

Good to see so many scholars and teenagers getting minutes against a decent men's team who are expected to do well in National League this year.

Draper didn't really see much of the ball but after indifferent starts I thought Cann, Brooks and Makama looked like they were growing into the game with confidence and all of them had some decent moments.

The squad players were a little anonymous but will have benefitted from some minutes towards fitness.

Montsma and Scully are maybe the only two who might start against Gills. Scully showed a few moments of class but was possibly trying a little too hard - especially his shooting. Hopefully Montsma has shaken enough rust off with that appearance, to have enough fitness to start at Gills.

So we might be without Fiorini, Nlundulu, Maguire, Walsh at least for the start/in the squad for Gills? It is looking like Griffiths, Poole, Jackson, Melbourne/Montsma, Edun, Bridcutt, Sorensen, McGrandles, Remy/Hakeeb, Hopper, Scully?

That was specifically about getting minutes into the legs of four players - Bishop, Adelakun, Montsma and Scully - and equally specifically not getting minutes into the legs of anyone else likely to be closely involved with the first team. Very pedestrian at all stages, almost a non-contact training game.

Twelve players not involved at all - Griffiths, Poole, Walsh, Bridcutt, McGrandles, Edun, Jackson, Hopper, Fiorini, Maguire, Nlundulu and Sorensen - at least we have a good idea what the team will be on Saturday.

All in all, 90 minutes of my life I'll never get back!

Last edited:
That was specifically about getting minutes into the legs of four players - Bishop, Adelakun, Montsma and Scully - and equally specifically not getting minutes into the legs of anyone else likely to be closely involved with the first team. Very pedestrian at all stages, almost a non-contact training game.

Eleven players not involved at all - Griffiths, Poole, Walsh, Bridcutt, McGrandles, Edun, Jackson, Hopper, Fiorini, Nlundulu and Sorensen - at least we have a good idea what the team will be on Saturday.

All in all, 90 minutes of my life I'll never get back!
Maguire?

Impressed with Brooks again, he was very tidy on the ball. played in midfield for the youths - surely his ideal position, given his size. Must have drawn the short straw today to play at rb.
good to see mr diagonal and Adelakun getting minutes, they must be a few weeks away in terms of fitness.
Scully looked a league one first team player.
think that was roughan who came on at h/t and got clattered near the end - so he is fit again.
no sign of walsh, or fiorini, or nlundulu - these 3 are leaving it a bit late to get a game on Saturday.
uti.

I see Lincoln have classified it as a Lincoln City XI fixture, like Boston. There were probably enough first team squad players involved in this one, though.

[QUOTE="nlondonimp, post: 2952758, member: 9774
no sign of walsh, or fiorini, or nlundulu - these 3 are leaving it a bit late to get a game on Saturday.
uti.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully a cunning plan. Who knows. Can't wait to find out at 2pm Saturday.

I know we don't just play games and will be working on bits in training but I'm not sure how I feel about the whole, 'get a full pre-season and the players will be on method' type cliché! So many players have missed games or had injury problems through this pre-season plus it feels like our business isn't really done. I'm sure we're not the only team like this the way the last 18 months have been and there have been some tricky off field things to deal with but I'm surprised this year that I'm even more clueless than usual on what our best 11 is or even who is available for the weekend!

Looking at the pre season injuries and lack of minutes for a significant number of players, I'm pinning my hopes on the season being a slow burner rather than last year where we hit the ground running.

As long as we steadily accumulate early on that will do just fine.

Bit of a ‘meh’ game but more minutes for some. First, Stockport looked decent in areas, especially Madden & Fish. Our youngsters Brookes & Makama look decent - coming along nicely. Draper a bit anonymous but I think that was down to him being well shackled by their defence. Scully looked ready but some of the others look like they still need minutes and building a bit of understanding. Nobody’s mentioned Remy. I think he’s had a good couple of games and looks good for a league start.
Strange pre-season as we don’t seem to have seen anything like a first team playing together yet, which may be deliberate. Thinking back to last season wasn’t it similar, but then we hit the ground running? Maybe MA has a system behind closed doors that works - we’ll find out on Saturday 🤔🤞. Did their commentator mention something about the Imps left-sided CB having played for Accrington last season? Don’t think he mentioned a name.

I find the Nlundulu and Fiorini omissions a bit strange. The recruitment has been excellent, but it seems like we are very undercooked at the moment. I will be pleasantly surprised if we come out early doors firing on all cylinders.

I find the Nlundulu and Fiorini omissions a bit strange. The recruitment has been excellent, but it seems like we are very undercooked at the moment. I will be pleasantly surprised if we come out early doors firing on all cylinders.
We were 2/3 weeks behind the rest preparing for the new season due to the Play Offs, Michael was unwell and needed time away to recover, new investment to spend wisely, key players from last season leaving, it will take time but I am certain it will be another great season. No reason to think otherwise and with the fantastic home support behind us. Said it before, there is no way we would have lost 9 home games last season with supporters in the Ground.
Could be a slow start but come September if we stay relatively injury free it will be all systems go.
UTI.

Marathon not a sprint , come on strong after Xmas and not fade like last season(granted we had some great excuses!)
Just need to keep in touching distance until Xmas IMHO.

Good to see Roughan on the pitch again, he played a couple juicy long passes down the left hand side. Billy Brooks has caught my eye everytime I've seen him play, he looks very promising to me. Scully was the stand out player, as he should be and is probably nalied on for a start on Saturday.