Match Thread: Stevenage v Lincoln City | Page 19 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Stevenage v Lincoln City

We had one of these near us in Block C , not about John so much, but he didnt seem to realise the tactics we were using to protect the lead and the rubbish he was coming out with. How is it these people have such booming moaning voices, why do they bother coming.
Like the eejit f-ing and c-ing about Akinde very loudly in the gents after the Oldham game, can't understand why people spend time and money to get to games then just spout their own prejudices and opinions without actually thinking that they may, perhaps, bear no relation to what is actually going on in front of them.

It is a long held tradition amongst Imps fans (and doubtless all other clubs) to moan during every game. Doesn't actually matter what's happening on the pitch.
I MAY have indulged myself at times ? but for those who like to do it ALL the time, well, it is what they enjoy doing and why they come out each weekend.
Fair enough. We're all Imps.

Perhaps the answer is to get Liam to add further options when we are selecting tickets - Singing section, Non Singing Section and Moaning section. But I bet they would complain about that.

Why is it the moaners and the foul mouthed always have the big booming voices. A middle aged man and woman in section A near the back yesterday were nothing short of embarrassing. Every decision made by the ref against us was greeted by screams of ‘ you f...ing cheating bleep’ and every time they attacked us it was ‘take the f...er out’. Every scream was extenuated with such vitriol and hatred you just had to shake your head and wonder ‘why’

I would say that in the area where we were in Block B everyone was very positive about John Akinde, particularly in the first half. Most were willing him to score, and showed their appreciation whenever he did well. Everyone was delighted for him when he scored the penalty.

Second half, he was barely involved and had some poor touches, but still got a standing ovation when he was substituted. I understand why some fans are still slightly disappointed. He is still to repeat his stand out performance at Exeter, and since then we have only seen glimpses of his brilliance.

Last season if Bossie made mistakes or had a poor game fans got stick if it was even mentioned. Cannot help thinking that some people are similarly becoming a bit precious and over protective about JA now.

Re the foul-mouthed insulting supporters, I do wonder if these people are living in another era. I've come across two or three that only go to games occasionally and when they do they think its part of the 'football culture' to swear and slag off everyone on the pitch at some stage without actually knowing what they are seeing (well, they think they know what they should be seeing). In their mind everyone goes at 100mph for 90 minutes, shoot on site from 40 yrads out, and throws themselves into tackles to be 'committed' and giving 100%, because thats the way it should be - after all, "its a man's game". And god help you if you don't. Lovely people !!!!

I would say that in the area where we were in Block B everyone was very positive about John Akinde, particularly in the first half. Most were willing him to score, and showed their appreciation whenever he did well. Everyone was delighted for him when he scored the penalty.

Second half, he was barely involved and had some poor touches, but still got a standing ovation when he was substituted. I understand why some fans are still slightly disappointed. He is still to repeat his stand out performance at Exeter, and since then we have only seen glimpses of his brilliance.

Last season if Bossie made mistakes or had a poor game fans got stick if it was even mentioned. Cannot help thinking that some people are similarly becoming a bit precious and over protective about JA now.

You are probably right. I have no problem with criticism such as yours, they are considered and fair points. Perhaps we are being over protective, but it’s many people’s natural reaction to counteract what they felt was very unfair criticism. Especially when the evidence of the last 2 winning goal performances, would suggest he is n’t quite as useless as some were saying.

The other thing I would say is, that for those of us unlucky enough to sit near to the more vocal but not necessarily more well informed critics, you do feel the need to keep responding. In previous eras you could just steer clear of them, by moving.
One of the downsides of a full Sincil Bank and all seated areas, is you can’t easily get away from it and you feel it’s quite widespread when perhaps it’s not.

To compound the feeling I sat next to a completely different group at Stevenage and heard useless #*@,!, lazy *&%*** every time he got near the ball.

I must just be unlucky.

It is actually the birthplace of Jason Shackell as noted in the match programme yesterday.

Not sure if anyone noticed but there was a huge picture of him near the train station on the way to the 'stadium'.

Hi Berks I was in that block. It was great to see people stand up for his sub, which I naturally joined in as he basically won us the game. The guys next to me were however shouting "jump" every time the ball got near him...

Perhaps big john will do a tour of their respective work places this week to give them some encouragement if and when they make a mistake!

I stopped shouting years ago after Tony Battersby appeared in my carpark one day and pointed out the error in my reverse parking!

It is good to see Akinde on the scoresheet.

Whenever I have seen him he looks a bit above the rest. Something we haven’t really had since Ainsworth

Why is it the moaners and the foul mouthed always have the big booming voices. A middle aged man and woman in section A near the back yesterday were nothing short of embarrassing. Every decision made by the ref against us was greeted by screams of ‘ you f...ing cheating bleep’ and every time they attacked us it was ‘take the f...er out’. Every scream was extenuated with such vitriol and hatred you just had to shake your head and wonder ‘why’

We were in Block A and they were up behind us a few rows. They were just embarrassing themselves! Everyone in our group was wincing at the amount they were going on about stuff. Even screaming and f-ing at decisions that clearly weren't going to go our way. I mean we all wear red and white tinted glasses when you watch a match but crikey do those two even understand the rules of football?

He had a booming voice and she had a real screeching voice that went right through you. I looked round and you are right they weren't a young couple. Jeeez I think my kids would be ashamed of me if I behaved like that!

Couldn't click 'like' but totally agree with you. Lots of family and children there on Saturday just cannot understand why they have to behave like that. Do they practice their booming on the Common.

It is a long held tradition amongst Imps fans (and doubtless all other clubs) to moan during every game. Doesn't actually matter what's happening on the pitch.
I MAY have indulged myself at times ? but for those who like to do it ALL the time, well, it is what they enjoy doing and why they come out each weekend.
Fair enough. We're all Imps.
I disagree that incessant moaning is the norm among Imps fans. In my experience it’s the opposite, the majority get behind the team 100 per cent while at the match although inevitably many will have a reflective moan later as they care so much. There are a few dickheads unfortunately, but they are a minority.

I am sure we have all seen the dreadful incidents / pictures involving Raheem Sterling last weekend at Chelsea and the boneheads shouting allegedly racial comments at him. I just hope these 'fans' having a go at John are not just one small step from doing the same thing. Makes me wince. Some on here will remember the late sixties and early seventies when that sort of stuff was common, even at Lincoln, and I thought we had grown up since then. We need to be very very careful that with a tiny minority it does not creep in again.

Think this spot on. Some say he is the dogs nads, others "moments of brilliance", and a few think he is what comes out of the other end of the dog!
I had a guy next to me, at Macc, who was prepared to fall out with anyone that dare criticise JA, almost proclaiming him the 3rd coming (we all know Bossie is 2nd). At one point almost orgasmic about a ball of such quality and prophetic vision, that actually went straight to their keeper! No doubt over protective!
At home, I have a fella that just won't have him at all. To the point that it's comical. A long way at the other end of the spectrum.
Personally, I see both sides. At times he has looked like he just isn't interested, and like he really shouldn't be there. At other times he has showed those "moments of brilliance". I'm now waiting for the 90 minute shift from him.

Re the foul-mouthed insulting supporters, I do wonder if these people are living in another era. I've come across two or three that only go to games occasionally and when they do they think its part of the 'football culture' to swear and slag off everyone on the pitch at some stage without actually knowing what they are seeing (well, they think they know what they should be seeing). In their mind everyone goes at 100mph for 90 minutes, shoot on site from 40 yrads out, and throws themselves into tackles to be 'committed' and giving 100%, because thats the way it should be - after all, "its a man's game". And god help you if you don't. Lovely people !!!!

Against Carlisle at home early last season, I managed to get a ticket in the "South Park" end. I was next to a grown up family of questionalble gene pool, and their objective appeard to come along for a rant -even I wasn't excluded. Now, I take sadistic pleasure when watching the highlights, just see see which unfortunate wretch has got the short straw that week.

Think this spot on. Some say he is the dogs nads, others "moments of brilliance", and a few think he is what comes out of the other end of the dog!
I had a guy next to me, at Macc, who was prepared to fall out with anyone that dare criticise JA, almost proclaiming him the 3rd coming (we all know Bossie is 2nd). At one point almost orgasmic about a ball of such quality and prophetic vision, that actually went straight to their keeper! No doubt over protective!
At home, I have a fella that just won't have him at all. To the point that it's comical. A long way at the other end of the spectrum.
Personally, I see both sides. At times he has looked like he just isn't interested, and like he really shouldn't be there. At other times he has showed those "moments of brilliance". I'm now waiting for the 90 minute shift from him.

A bloke near me at Macclesfield was into him from kick-off, that’s got nothing to do with his performance levels and everything to do with a pre-conceived idea of him.

No-one is saying don’t criticise but do it in the pub before or after the game, don’t do it in the ground where it’s pretty obvious our support can help the team win tight games.

I presume the Cowleys are the first coming?