Match Thread: Stevenage v Lincoln City | Page 18 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Stevenage v Lincoln City

It’s a shame there’s been some problems getting on the site this weekend.

It has obviously stopped those who were so keen to post their criticisms of John Akinde’s goal scoring record only a couple of weeks ago, from expressing their delight in him scoring the winning goals in the last two games he’s played.

At least I assume that’s why we have n’t heard from them.
Any other reason would be unbelievable.

To be fair most people on this site have been supportive of John. Let's hope he keeps them goal scoring boots on.

It’s a shame there’s been some problems getting on the site this weekend.

It has obviously stopped those who were so keen to post their criticisms of John Akinde’s goal scoring record only a couple of weeks ago, from expressing their delight in him scoring the winning goals in the last two games he’s played.

At least I assume that’s why we have n’t heard from them.
Any other reason would be unbelievable.

They'll be back accusing him of not pulling his weight and not being worth the money, the next game he doesn't score. It's only a matter of time.

As they will for Sam Slocombe the next time he get's a chance...

Akinde has more chances to disappoint, given he's normally first choice and Sam is quite clearly third choice, but I take your point.

Every mistake is magnified as a 'keeper, but John has the additional burden of being our record signing and the expectations of him, given his track record with Barnet, are off the scale.

Given we're out of the Checkatrade, I'm not sure when we'll see Sam again, unless Grant is injured.

As Redimps1 pointed out, with Grant beinh cup-tied, we may see him sooner if Josh's injury is longer term.

Last edited:
Akinde has more chances to disappoint, given he's normally first choice and Sam is quite clearly third choice, but I take your point.

Every mistake is magnified as a 'keeper, but John has the additional burden of being our record signing and the expectations of him, given his track record with Barnet, are off the scale.

Given we're out of the Checkatrade, I'm not sure when we'll see Sam again, unless Grant is injured.
We will see him at Everton if Vickers is not fit.

They'll be back accusing him of not pulling his weight and not being worth the money, the next game he doesn't score. It's only a matter of time.
They may not have hit their keyboards but some were certainly at Stevenage. I was sat in Block A right down the far end and had to suffer some complete moron hurling a load of abuse at Akinde for well over 5 minutes before he was substituted. It didnt matter what was going on in the game he just got more and more abusive about him. At one point despite him being on a yellow card he was demanding he just went and took the keeper out , for no other reason than to demonstrate some fight and passion.

It's a pity nobody turned round and challenged him as this (abuse) was both unfair and unwarranted and you could see others in the vicinity were unhappy/uncomfortable with what was being said. That said given some of the moronic things he was coming out with (such as "I'm a fan and so I'm one of the people who pays his wages") silence was probably the best course of action.

Why do we have to suffer people like this, who clearly have no idea or understanding of the game????

I accept John didn't have his 'best game' for us but he was magnificent for the first 35 mins. He made and scored the penalty and was a constant threat. The second half did largely pass him by, but there was no lack of effort and he was a huge part of a team that really had to dig deep in difficult conditions to grind out a result.

apparently Stevenage is both the birth place of civilisation and total football.

I feel hard done to that I am neither from Stevenage nor support Stevenage Borough.

Once again there are people complaining about people being anti-Akinde.

Expressing opinions should be what a forum is all about. And for what its worth I think pretty much all of us who have been disappointed or frustrated at times by Akinde have been very supportive of him and wishing him (and expecting him) to succeed.
He HAS struggled at times, as does every player.
And he has struggled totally at some of his clubs.
But he has been praised by lots of us for his recent performances. I myself said Oldham was the best I'd seen from him to date for example. And he has been progressively making more and more of a contribution.

And as for Slocombe, at Accrington, he got criticism again for early part of match but unanimous praise thereafter for a superb performance.

He may get called upon again, we don't know
He does have plenty of experience. It will be Danny's best judgement whether another loanee keeper comes in in January or whether Slocombe remains until May.
Guess that will depend on who is or isn't available and on how bad Josh's latest injury is

Slocombe may suffer from not having a run of games, that could be the problem dunno?
Smith had been playing regularly for Maidstone maybe that's helped him, complete opposite to Sam

They may not have hit their keyboards but some were certainly at Stevenage. I was sat in Block A right down the far end and had to suffer some complete moron hurling a load of abuse at Akinde for well over 5 minutes before he was substituted. It didnt matter what was going on in the game he just got more and more abusive about him. At one point despite him being on a yellow card he was demanding he just went and took the keeper out , for no other reason than to demonstrate some fight and passion.

It's a pity nobody turned round and challenged him as this (abuse) was both unfair and unwarranted and you could see others in the vicinity were unhappy/uncomfortable with what was being said. That said given some of the moronic things he was coming out with (such as "I'm a fan and so I'm one of the people who pays his wages") silence was probably the best course of action.

Why do we have to suffer people like this, who clearly have no idea or understanding of the game????

I accept John didn't have his 'best game' for us but he was magnificent for the first 35 mins. He made and scored the penalty and was a constant threat. The second half did largely pass him by, but there was no lack of effort and he was a huge part of a team that really had to dig deep in difficult conditions to grind out a result.

We had one of these near us in Block C , not about John so much, but he didnt seem to realise the tactics we were using to protect the lead and the rubbish he was coming out with. How is it these people have such booming moaning voices, why do they bother coming.

We had one of these near us in Block C , not about John so much, but he didnt seem to realise the tactics we were using to protect the lead and the rubbish he was coming out with. How is it these people have such booming moaning voices, why do they bother coming.

It is a long held tradition amongst Imps fans (and doubtless all other clubs) to moan during every game. Doesn't actually matter what's happening on the pitch.
I MAY have indulged myself at times ? but for those who like to do it ALL the time, well, it is what they enjoy doing and why they come out each weekend.
Fair enough. We're all Imps.