Match Thread: Stevenage v Lincoln City | Page 17 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Stevenage v Lincoln City

On the train back to Linc's
Battling display and a decent first half
Second half was avdab affair and didn't offer much to either goal keeper
Big John worked it well for his penalty well done.

great three points. and clean sheet. we played some very sharp passing football for about 30 minutes, but are not quite brave enough yet to keep doing it for a longer period to kill them off. consequently it became a bit nervy in the second half, but we kept them at arms length once we dealt with their wide attacking... and they didn't come up with an out of the blue worldie strike. bostwick/shackell/eardley were superb.

another overly fragmented game, too many players going down for the slightest challenge. and the ref didn't help. plus, neither team adapted well when attacking against the wind. which meant most of the action on view was at the opposite end to the imps fans.

For me "Lge" or "non lge" is an intrinsic nature of a club not related to whichever division u may be in at a given time.
For our seasons in conference, we were always a Lge club fighting to get back there as are many of our fellow clubs still stuck down there.
Stevenage are a fine example of a non lge club playing in the football league.
FGR likewise.

An analogy is if u have a field of cows and a field of sheep and the cow gets sent into the sheep field for a year or more, it still remains a cow.
?
Love the analogies mate, brilliant ?

You win games in different ways, this was never going to be a flowing performance but was gritty and determined, a well deserved win. John 29 started very lively, won the penalty, scored it, but just before half time got booked which took a lot of his challenging game away for the second half. Our mid field and defence were superb restricting the other lot to a couple of half chances at most. They were a physical side studs showing and all that, Toffolo and Andrade took some tough treatment and got subbed. Smith had a fine game, very secure, inspired confidence, took a bad knock after about 15 seconds ! but recovered after about five minutes of treatment. Man of the match, along with Shackell, Freck and Boswick, all played well though, no weak links.
The away following were fantastic, sang and cheered them on the entire game. Three points thanks and on we go ! UTI.

I thoroughly enjoyed that game, and while I'd prefer a few more Port Vales this was a proper battling away win. First half we were passing it nicely and batting away everything they could throw at us with ease.

Bit nervy in the second half but the conditions on the pitch were horrid. Well done Lincoln City! Smith was excellent, so glad we have him.

First time to Stevenage - it was like stepping back in time and dropping down a division. And I very much doubt their ground would pass that seven-minute evacuation test, unless everyone ran onto the pitch and legged it over to the end WHICH DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A STAND.

Also thought it was lovely to chant England's number one to Paul Farman during the warm down. Well done Imps!

Last edited by a moderator:
From the Stevenage forum sour grapes??
Football was the loser
By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)Today 17:14
Views: 66
Unfortunately the vile cheating tactics of Lincoln and their anti football approach to the game paid off for them.
I take comfort in the fact they are only where they are because of FA cup money, and once they've Spunked that they will free fall back to the Vauxhall conferenc

Ridiculous, taking comfort in that we have earned our money, rather than being a play thing for some bored multi-millionaire.

Didn't hear any Stevenage fans at all on the radio - great noise from all our travelling fans

They did make some noise in the second half, and kept an "ole" chant going for a good while, but when you looked over there were only about a dozen or so who looked like they meant it.

I think the Stevenage forum has taken the title from the fishy one.

Biggest load of shite to polute the internet.

The only saving grace is they are a tin pot club with about half a dozen fans with the internet.

What a bunch of Kent’s

I think the Stevenage forum has taken the title from the fishy one.

Biggest load of shite to polute the internet.

The only saving grace is they are a tin pot club with about half a dozen fans with the internet.

What a bunch of Kent’s
Berks........no, sorry, wrong county!

Without getting carried it feels like the first time in a while the fixtures have opened up for us to push on again and make hay.
Really important period due to the number of games up and into the New Year. Need points, but also to avoid injuries, suspensions and fatigue. Do ok on those scores and it sets us up nicely for the cup tie which cannot be allowed to act as a distraction before then. Anyway that's my Xmas list sorted.

First 25 minutes we looked sharp and had more than a couple of chances. Had the wind at our backs and I don't think (the supporters) in the away end appreciated just how blustery the conditions were.

Stevenage crept back into it in last 10 mins of first half- 2nd half we dug very deep and defended well. Clean sheet as well.

Away end was noisy today and really got behind the team.

Thought the appreciation shown to Farman during the warm down was really nice touch.

Finally saw Greeny and Farman at the Texaco garage in Sandy on the way home- assume Farman still lives Lincoln way?

First 25 minutes we looked sharp and had more than a couple of chances. Had the wind at our backs and I don't think (the supporters) in the away end appreciated just how blustery the conditions were.

Stevenage crept back into it in last 10 mins of first half- 2nd half we dug very deep and defended well. Clean sheet as well.

Away end was noisy today and really got behind the team.

Thought the appreciation shown to Farman during the warm down was really nice touch.

Finally saw Greeny and Farman at the Texaco garage in Sandy on the way home- assume Farman still lives Lincoln way?
Yeah big mates, seen them out with their wives

It’s a shame there’s been some problems getting on the site this weekend.

It has obviously stopped those who were so keen to post their criticisms of John Akinde’s goal scoring record only a couple of weeks ago, from expressing their delight in him scoring the winning goals in the last two games he’s played.

At least I assume that’s why we have n’t heard from them.
Any other reason would be unbelievable.