Match Thread: Southend United v Lincoln City | Page 27 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Southend United v Lincoln City

Pompey both sides were pathetic but that actually seemed to be Pompeys game plan, strangle the life out of the game and look to nick it, they succeeded and maintained their winning run, continued yesterday against Sunderland, does that now make the Mackems relegation candidates?

Blackpool was two evenly matched sides who both created chances, they hit the post but we missed a penalty and won it with a nicely taken goal. Didn't seem lucky to me but I like to be a realist rather than pursue an agenda.
On the Blackpool game I thought too, really good game, two evenly matched teams, both teams had chances and for me the most enjoyable game of the season so far.
To prove the fickle nature of football their fans were calling for their fans were calling for Grayson to be sacked even though they as much of the game as we had.

Don’t worry, deep breath move on Jules. You should have sat with me, would have shared my eels with you.
i got down there too late to get any of those eels but feel we won`t get a chance to buy any next season!
They will be entertaining Barrow whilst we may be entertaining Stoke.
Never cared much for the jellied variety........................,pan fried for me!

Last edited:
You'd call three (four at a push) in the starting XI 'wholesale' changes (Melbourne, midfield partner for Morrell and one of the strikers - two if we go 4-4-2)?

Sorry mate, but your posts on this thread have shown you up to be totally and utterly clueless. And whilst a few things have been said on these posts about us hoping ST holders renew, if you're one, I genuinely hope you don't. Suggest you go watch Liverpool as at least they are winning every week.
He is Private Fraser from Dads Army and I claim my £5.00 reward.

Lowest point ever maybe?
Still remember leaving the ground at the final whistle with Ketterinimp and recollect standing on the half way line during the match with Thommo and Hortin broadcasting from a makeshift shed behind us and we hearing the full clarity of their broadcast as we delivered a horseshit performance on the pitch.(1/01/2012)
I had high hopes of a first Wembley appearance prior to the start of the game but the Surrey side rubbed our noses in the dirt.
The highs and lows of a football fan........nothing changes over the years.

Some, well quite a lot of, fans seem unable to keep any sense of proportion. Everything is either conditioned by one result or falls prey to natural pessimism or unfounded optimism.

There are times when we've had somewhat fortunate wins (I'll use FGR and MK Dons at home last season as an example) and the forum is alive with people hailing the tactical brilliance of it all. The Cowleys themselves never fell into that trap as they rightly believe if you pay attention to "the process" the results will follow.

The transfer window has seen a revolution not an evolution which speeds up where the club wants to be but it's coming at the cost of results in the short term. There have been some decisions taken though which can only have been for the benefit of previous players because from a team building point of view they don't make much sense.

Toffolo, Andrade and Akinde were natural departures. Walker was something the club couldn't do much about though I guess if we were challenging at the top or struggling at the bottom it might not have been so clear cut.

Unless it's for the player's benefit though I don't see the point in replacing O'Connor with a short term move for Bridcutt.

It's difficult to see how the on loan Coventry is for the moment much better than Chapman who we're trying to develop ourselves. But maybe we'll see more from Coventry in the rest of the season.

Replacing our 2nd keeper with a lad whose experience this season has been with Bradford PA and Alfreton also seems bizarre, as does bringing in left back cover in a lad who was also at Bradford PA - the Southend United of the NLN this season.

Who knows, these may be inspired signings, as might Elbouzedi who I've yet to see why there was all the fuss about. But in 12 months time he might be hot property.

I think the club is on the right path, but there are some very impatient fans and there are some decisions amongst last week's chaos that look, well, odd.

And finally, in the words of Mike Bassett, but for the opposite reason, Four Four ******* Two
Maybe considering Smith & Coker were unlikely to play, but were there for emergencies, perhaps the nett on the deals of loans out and the two in is saving us ££ a week . Only thing I can think of.

Not even pre-Cowley. Let's not forget his teams performances away at the likes of Borehamwood, Colchester and this season Wycombe away. They were no better than the poor performance yesterday. We just have to get through this season staying in the league then all the money saved can be reinvested for a completely changed side in the summer. Appelton needs a few weeks on the training ground and then these guys will be OK. Tough with the busy schedule recently he's hardly been able to coach them.

Crewe away was also diabolical.

Still remember leaving the ground at the final whistle with Ketterinimp and recollect standing on the half way line during the match with Thommo and Hortin broadcasting from a makeshift shed behind us and we hearing the full clarity of their broadcast as we delivered a horseshit performance on the pitch.(1/01/2012)
I had high hopes of a first Wembley appearance prior to the start of the game but the Surrey side rubbed our noses in the dirt.
The highs and lows of a football fan........nothing changes over the years.
Yes that night is still etched in my memory for all the wrong reasons. I actually found the programme for this match today whilst clearing the loft out in readiness for moving house on Friday. I am going to get rid of all of my old programmes but I’m going to keep this one so that I can appreciate how far we have come.

Yes that night is still etched in my memory for all the wrong reasons. I actually found the programme for this match today whilst clearing the loft out in readiness for moving house on Friday. I am going to get rid of all of my old programmes but I’m going to keep this one so that I can appreciate how far we have come.
We had reached the bottom and there was only one direction left,,,,,upwards?

I can still hear the chilling sounds and the weeping and gnashing of teeth from the hardcore fans who had travelled down on the coach that night to watch our pitiful performance.
The Kleenex share price rocketed the following day and i couldn`t get on early enough to make a profitable turn in that share price rise.

To be plainly honest i would be bored if we won every week(liverpool) but it`s the expectation that keeps us going every week.

We had reached the bottom and there was only one direction left,,,,,upwards?

I can still hear the chilling sounds and the weeping and gnashing of teeth from the hardcore fans who had travelled down on the coach that night to watch our pitiful performance.
The Kleenex share price rocketed the following day and i couldn`t get on early enough to make a profitable turn in that share price rise.

To be plainly honest i would be bored if we won every week(liverpool) but it`s the expectation that keeps us going every week.
If you are talking Carshalton I think that was one of perhaps only about 4 games during the 'Conference years' where no official coach was run but ourselves and others attended.

If you are talking Carshalton I think that was one of perhaps only about 4 games during the 'Conference years' where no official coach was run but ourselves and others attended.

Those were the good old days when we we total shite and you could guarantee losing every Saturday ,being near bottom of the table and be proud of it and telling your mates constantly how proud you were to be the underdog.

Chris Ashton to verify the coach detail..............came down on the Thameslink myself

see link.......not the 14 minute version..........that`s real pain.

Those were the good old days when we we total shite and you could guarantee losing every Saturday ,being near bottom of the table and be proud of it and telling your mates constantly how proud you were to be the underdog.

Chris Ashton to verify the coach detail..............came down on the Thameslink myself

see link.......not the 14 minute version..........that`s real pain.
Oh how could - that was just cruel and puts me back on the medication, particularly after Saturday 😳😱🙈😭😭😭

Lucky in what sense that they missed a couple of chances? Didn’t we miss a penalty in the same game? Arguably unlucky not to win by a bigger margin.

Lets be honest Billy you are desperate to see the Imps fail, so you can be a smug ‘I told you so’ git. Still awaiting on your alternative managerial option? Not a person to offer solutions?
Given this some thought. Bring in Matt Rhead one day a week as a motivational coach to provide some inspiration to the team, which seems lacking from the current manager.

Given this some thought. Bring in Matt Rhead one day a week as a motivational coach to provide some inspiration to the team, which seems lacking from the current manager.

No disrespect, but I think you are clutching at straws with that comment. Motivation is not an issue imo, although not on the day to day inside of the club in training the comments from players wrt big 🍎 seem positive, check out Morrell post match for example.

No disrespect, but I think you are clutching at straws with that comment. Motivation is not an issue imo, although not on the day to day inside of the club in training the comments from players wrt big 🍎 seem positive, check out Morrell post match for example.
Have you been to a match lately? Men v boys, we need to man up!