Match Thread: Shrewsbury Town v Lincoln City | Page 15 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Shrewsbury Town v Lincoln City

If you've only seen it via broadcast the TV pictures don't show their defenders arms pushing at head/shoulders level. Although we were all at the other end of the ground it looked pretty nailed on at the time from the angle I was at because of that . Theirs clearly also was a penalty every time

You can’t possibly say that. It would mean the whole basis of the VAR system is flawed and we all know that is not the case.😉

If you've only seen it via broadcast the TV pictures don't show their defenders arms pushing at head/shoulders level. Although we were all at the other end of the ground it looked pretty nailed on at the time from the angle I was at because of that . Theirs clearly also was a penalty every time
Agreed - from my angle behind the goal, it looked like Grant had run into a brick wall.

I think you’re right although Neal Eardley will remain one of my favourite imps players in my life regardless.
Took a gamble on Eardley which paid off big time!, but I suspect this will be his last season. It sounds like M A thinks he is close to agreeing something with Lewis, which could mean he will be right back next season. He certainly fits the M A mould, young athletic and with international experience.

Took a gamble on Eardley which paid off big time!, but I suspect this will be his last season. It sounds like M A thinks he is close to agreeing something with Lewis, which could mean he will be right back next season. He certainly fits the M A mould, young athletic and with international experience.

I think we’d have seen more of Lewis under Appleton if this was the case. Happy to be wrong as I’ve been impressed when we’ve seen him but think we’ll be in the market for a new number one RB is Neal goes. As I’ve said though I hope Neal stays. He’s a fab footballer.

You may be right, but I would have thought some experience would be required.
I think it’s more a case of having a better mix. Some older heads and know how among a good crop of youngsters would be my template.

The real issue at the moment is the people trying to force their way into the side are Frecklington, O’Connor, Coker and Akinde.

Those needing to improve to get in the side are 30+ and it ain’t going to happen.

If we could afford to purchase 22 players in the summer all under 25 and better than what we have already got, I would be surprised but pleased Clive has had a big windfall.

Eardley has been excellent over a long period and touch wood injury free.

I think having Lewis gradually improving and being able to eventually oust Eardley but with Eardley providing a high bench mark for him to reach that point would be cost effective and sensible.

I think we’d have seen more of Lewis under Appleton if this was the case. Happy to be wrong as I’ve been impressed when we’ve seen him but think we’ll be in the market for a new number one RB is Neal goes. As I’ve said though I hope Neal stays. He’s a fab footballer.
Don't know, but must have some reason to be trying to get him to sign a contract and cant see a young current international signing to not play.

MA's 'pitch' to Lewis similar to that for Melbourne, who most of us assumed would go back to WBA at the end of his loan having had very little match time, but has signed a 2 1/2 year contract instead.

A medium to long term strategy to develop younger players to sell on is not just hot air, it's starting to happen in front of us.

That strategy also involves being entrusted with promising young Premiership talent on loan for match experience and coaching.

The 'old hands' are part of that development programme to mentor and advise, you could see that from Shackell and Eardley today.

Don't know, but must have some reason to be trying to get him to sign a contract and cant see a young current international signing to not play.

Agree mate. I also meant number two but got mixed up.

I just see Lewis as either a backup or a lad pushing for the spot rather than being our number one RB. He’s undoubtably shown promise which is even more impressive given the games he’s been involved in.

He could be another beneficiary of Appleton developing young talent and I would absolutely love that to be the case. Plus we’ve had a certain quote of Welshman in the squad in the last couple years so why not keep it up.

That was a really young side today and you can tell 🍎 is desperate to improve the team technically and physically and excited in doing so. I think we’ll be alright.

Agree on this - I thought during the post match interview MAP sounded refreshed, reinvigorated and pleased he is finally able to start building a side by bringing in his own players. Long may it continue! UTI!

Although I've said that I expect the entire back four to change I would love Bossie and Eardley to still be at the club (but age, lack of pace and big wages will be against them) if they could be persuaded to take on squad roles. I thought Eards had a dip in form earlier in the season but over the last month or so his class, consistency and form have returned in equal measure. He is such an accomplished reader of the game and no mean footballer. Him and Bossie coming on as subs to manage game situations could offer so much to what will be a significantly younger squad.

Got home at 9pm (earlier than usual), had fish & chips, watched Match of the Day, now here's some rubbish from me without yet reading any match reports or other comments.

First half from us was moderate at best as Shrewsbury looked much more 'up for it' than we did, playing a very physical game which was aided by the referee, who by the end of the match I think had upset both sets of supporters. Hesketh especially, and John-Jules were far too lightweight to compete with them and Grant could hardly get into the game.

No surprise to see Hesketh go off (whether he was injured or not) or John-Jules. In the second half after the equalising penalty it was only the woodwork (twice) and Shrewsbury's keeper who kept them in the game - he must have been their man of the match. Throughout the whole game I can't remember Vickers having a serious save to make. I thought Shrewsbury were a bit similar to the way we've been playing in that they tended to over-elaborate instead of getting in a shot at goal.

We did well defensively - apart from Bolger almost letting them in just before the end - and in midfield, Coventry looked by far the best of the new(ish) players and was a good partner for Morrell. Was a bit disappointed in Elbouzedi, although he did better than Hesketh, and I thought we missed Anderson a lot.

Overall, happy with a point although we deserved to win.

A point away is always , Looked good enough in the 2nd half for the win, Happy with aawy point,
And pleasantly pleased with the signings ,
Ma seems well measured in what he says ,Doesnt seem to sugar coat the situation

A point away is always , Looked good enough in the 2nd half for the win, Happy with aawy point,
And pleasantly pleased with the signings ,
Ma seems well measured in what he says ,Doesnt seem to sugar coat the situation
You’ve got me on tenterhooks. Is always what ?

Eardley has been class again this season.
Excellent yesterday, both keeping their approach play at bay, intercepting and driving us forward.
He’s proven himself fit and reliable and we will indeed need role models to mentor the younger players.
He should be top of the list for a new contract amongst our senior players.

Got home at 9pm (earlier than usual), had fish & chips, watched Match of the Day, now here's some rubbish from me without yet reading any match reports or other comments.

First half from us was moderate at best as Shrewsbury looked much more 'up for it' than we did, playing a very physical game which was aided by the referee, who by the end of the match I think had upset both sets of supporters. Hesketh especially, and John-Jules were far too lightweight to compete with them and Grant could hardly get into the game.

No surprise to see Hesketh go off (whether he was injured or not) or John-Jules. In the second half after the equalising penalty it was only the woodwork (twice) and Shrewsbury's keeper who kept them in the game - he must have been their man of the match. Throughout the whole game I can't remember Vickers having a serious save to make. I thought Shrewsbury were a bit similar to the way we've been playing in that they tended to over-elaborate instead of getting in a shot at goal.

We did well defensively - apart from Bolger almost letting them in just before the end - and in midfield, Coventry looked by far the best of the new(ish) players and was a good partner for Morrell. Was a bit disappointed in Elbouzedi, although he did better than Hesketh, and I thought we missed Anderson a lot.

Overall, happy with a point although we deserved to win.
Just a few comments with a difference of opinion from your own.

Thought John Jules was a real class act and his ability to play passes into his team mates was exceptional.As soon as he received possession he had already visioned the next pass and executed it well.( eg Walker`s chance on highlights)
Up against some tough defenders he didn`t hide and was decent in the air.
This new lad could be a perfect foil for Walker but yesterday our wide positions supplied little service from the flanks and that needs to improve to get the best out of our strikers.(best opportunities yesterday were from shots from distance)

To me Coventry had a quieter contribution and seemed to occupy the same ground as Morrell on some occasions keeping deep and not looking to be a threat moving forward(,it`s early days).Unfortunate to give the pen.away and also pick up a yellow in a game of crunching tackles in which our small sized midfielders were out muscled in the challenges in the air and on the ground.(MOC would have relished the battle.)
Elbouzedi showed flashes of skill and if we can get Eardley further forward then our new winger will benefit from that support as opposed to lone attacking down the right hand side.
One game seeing the new prospects perform was very encouraging.(second half weather conditions were poor.)
Relishing the game Tuesday but the weather forecast gain is horseshit for Lincoln,40mph winds and rain............could spoil it a bit?
Love to put Bolton to the sword,as we all would.

Just a few comments with a difference of opinion from your own.

Thought John Jules was a real class act and his ability to play passes into his team mates was exceptional.As soon as he received possession he had already visioned the next pass and executed it well.( eg Walker`s chance on highlights)
Up against some tough defenders he didn`t hide and was decent in the air.
This new lad could be a perfect foil for Walker but yesterday our wide positions supplied little service from the flanks and that needs to improve to get the best out of our strikers.(best opportunities yesterday were from shots from distance)

To me Coventry had a quieter contribution and seemed to occupy the same ground as Morrell on some occasions keeping deep and not looking to be a threat moving forward(,it`s early days).Unfortunate to give the pen.away and also pick up a yellow in a game of crunching tackles in which our small sized midfielders were out muscled in the challenges in the air and on the ground.(MOC would have relished the battle.)
Elbouzedi showed flashes of skill and if we can get Eardley further forward then our new winger will benefit from that support as opposed to lone attacking down the right hand side.
One game seeing the new prospects perform was very encouraging.(second half weather conditions were poor.)
Relishing the game Tuesday but the weather forecast gain is horseshit for Lincoln,40mph winds and rain............could spoil it a bit?
Love to put Bolton to the sword,as we all would.
Think I'll split the difference!

TJJ was good on the ground but after getting monstered for his first aerial challenge he was understandably tentative thereafter; build and height suggested it's not his thing anyway.

Coventry seemed to allow Morrell to break forward more often, similar to when MOC is playing. Thought I saw a yellow waved his way, for a challenge which wasnt a foul, summed joke ref up, and wasnt listed on BBC or OS reports