Match Thread: Scunthorpe United v Lincoln City | Page 7 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Scunthorpe United v Lincoln City

I’ve had the luxury of being abroad this week so avoiding all of the doom and gloom....

A few weeks ago most of us were convinced that the new signings would lead to a sniff of the play offs at the very least. What’s changed? We’ve played against a few championship teams and results (which count for absolutely nothing) haven’t gone our way, nor should we have expected them to on paper. We’ve also been beaten by our local rivals in in a friendly - they were bound to up their game against the best team in Lincolnshire who are in a higher league, so it was never going to be an easy game.

As far as the team is concerned, we have the foundations of the same solid defence that we had last season and we’ve added a few tricky attacking midfielders / wingers whilst losing none of the nucleus of the first team.

I’ve not had the opportunity to listen to the post match interview but think that we have very little to worry about. Nothing has changed overnight, Rome wasn’t built in a day nor did it fall in a day either.

I’ve had the luxury of being abroad this week so avoiding all of the doom and gloom....

A few weeks ago most of us were convinced that the new signings would lead to a sniff of the play offs at the very least. What’s changed? We’ve played against a few championship teams and results (which count for absolutely nothing) haven’t gone our way, nor should we have expected them to on paper. We’ve also been beaten by our local rivals in in a friendly - they were bound to up their game against the best team in Lincolnshire who are in a higher league, so it was never going to be an easy game.

As far as the team is concerned, we have the foundations of the same solid defence that we had last season and we’ve added a few tricky attacking midfielders / wingers whilst losing none of the nucleus of the first team.

I’ve not had the opportunity to listen to the post match interview but think that we have very little to worry about. Nothing has changed overnight, Rome wasn’t built in a day nor did it fall in a day either.

Best have a listen. DC sounds like he disagrees with you.

Quite concerning interview - long way from where we want to be; some way towards the back of the queue for loan signings - can't afford to purchase; injuries as a result of the training pitches not being available; no intensity and fight today - play like that and we'll be relegated. If I were a Board member listening to that I would be calling a meeting to dig deep into resources to make some dosh available to Danny. All very well the off field investment into the club shop etc - but success is built on the pitch with the right quality and quantity of players. Looks as though we have 18 pros 4 of which are you lads - that's wafer thin and almost suicidal bearing in mind we want to be top 10 at best and mid-table at worst.

Danny alluded to things were moving at such a rate of knots that unfortunately a few mistakes happened in the process. Just look where we are now to 3 years ago.

What is great is the anxiety of not being able to potentially challenge to play in the Championship...!

Blimey, never heard DC sounding so down, if that doesn’t scream help Clive, nothing does :oops:

If I were a Board member listening to that I would be calling a meeting to dig deep into resources to make some dosh available to Danny.

Bury, Bolton, Notts County...

DC will be backed as much as the Club can afford, no doubt, ... but hopefully not a penny more.

He also said they had kept some money back to acquire a number nine. In addition we have just sold Rhead, which must add to that.

No doubt there are a number of frustrations coming out in the interview, including playing poorly and losing 10 minutes earlier, but overstretching ourselves financially would not be a good response.

If we on here can identify some issues there will be no doubt that our top management team will be aware of those and more. DC is a canny operator in using the media and his messages will be two fold. He is telling the board that we need a few more in but at the same time saying to other clubs and/or agents that we won't be shelling out silly money.
I personally would settle for a season of consolidation but it's clear that DC is looking higher than that

I would like to know just how much money we are paying for support staff. On Wednesday night every time some one needed treatment 2 physios came on the pitch and neither was Mike Hine. Do we really need this many support staff for such a small squad

All these years in League One and above must justify our fans pessimism. Before a fucking ball has been kicked.

We'll be fine. But errors have been made. I'm going to put myself forward to DC as his turf consultant. How hard can it be to lay a bit of grass?

Listen we're conceding too many early goals and we're not scoring. Apart from that I don't see anything wrong with the team