Match Thread: Scunthorpe United v Lincoln City | Page 13 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Scunthorpe United v Lincoln City

I've just realised we play Wolves a week before Mansfield play Scunthorpe. So if we win we'll have to wait to see if we go through.

More worryingly, if we draw then Mansfield and Scunthorpe can effectively do a West Germany vs Austria to send them both through.
It’s more important what we do, tonight was a great morale booster, as it will be if we beat Wolves. If we then get stitched up it won’t do us any harm, just the reputation of the low lifes if they decide to go down that route.

I've just realised we play Wolves a week before Mansfield play Scunthorpe. So if we win we'll have to wait to see if we go through.

More worryingly, if we draw then Mansfield and Scunthorpe can effectively do a West Germany vs Austria to send them both through.

Shouldn't both fixtures be played same night to avoid blatant match fixing?

Well, we certainly deserved something from the game as it was a bit like the first half against Tranmere - we did everything but score.

Best defender in the second half was Wharton. It's the best I've seen Chapman play - although that hasn't been very often. Rhead was more effective second half. Last thought - Mensah has been on the bench for recent games, but I think judging by tonight Gordon should take his place as an attacking option.

If we do beat Wolves, then Scum would need to beat Mansfield. A winning draw for them would leave us both on 5 pts so presume us beating them tonight would decide 2nd place in our favour.

If we do beat Wolves, then Scum would need to beat Mansfield. A winning draw for them would leave us both on 5 pts so presume us beating them tonight would decide 2nd place in our favour.

In all likelihood, yes. However, if we win 1-0 and Scunthorpe win on penalties after a 3-3 draw, I think they'd go through on goals scored.

In all likelihood, yes. However, if we win 1-0 and Scunthorpe win on penalties after a 3-3 draw, I think they'd go through on goals scored.

That's right - this is the relevant section from the rules:

(x) If two or more Clubs are equal on points on completion of the group Matches the following criteria are applied in the order given to determine their rankings:

(A) goal difference;

(B) higher number of goals scored in the group Matches;

(C) number of wins (after normal time i.e. not the result of any drawn match followed by penalties);

(D) the record against each other in the group Match, taking into account in order of precedence, points gained, goal difference, higher number of goals scored;

(E) if the Clubs still have an equal ranking after the application of (A) to (D), by the drawing of lots.

Tommo votes Rhead but Gordon MOM for me.

Did you not see the gaps down our right side pretty much all game?

Decent going forward but MOM for a right back who struggled to do his primary job of defending? Not for me.

Did you not see the gaps down our right side pretty much all game?

Decent going forward but MOM for a right back who struggled to do his primary job of defending? Not for me.

Nor me. Good attacking play but was constantly out of position when defending and gave Wilson twice as much work to do.

pluses:
slocombe
wharton - after a shaky start.
wilson
gordon - put him in as a winger... but shouldn't play right back.
anderson - great for him to score.
rhead - got better as the game went on.
andrade - looked L1 quality. that is what grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck looks like.
akinde - much more effective than green.

chapman - pleased to see him again. has cut out virtually all of the mistakes. almost scored in the first half, and another in the second half. cross to rhead for the goal. popped up on the edge of the box for a third shot that was saved. mom for the youngster.

not pushing the first 11:
mensah - hardly in the game.
coombes - better than at centre back, but still a bit all over the place against the winger.
green - hardly any threat. terrible first touch led to wilson's first booking.

humphrys was good for them.

First half felt a bit flat but second really came alive and we looked much better when Akinde and Andrade came on. I thought Bruno was simply brilliant. What a player that lad is. And kudos to Rheady who lasted the whole match and had a stormer. Some fabulous touches and headers and linked up really well with big John. Gives Danny a poser for Saturday. Green was disappointing for me. Mensah was very poor and barely looked interested. He couldn’t get off quick enough when his number went up.

Port Vale started their Checkatrade match with 5 outfield players that started against cod on Saturday. Hopefully resting our senior citizens will reap dividends. I'm not fussed about Mansfield using the competition to their advantage so far as having international weekends off as they have got to go Sat - Tues - Sat twice more in the league now.

Port Vale started their Checkatrade match with 5 outfield players that started against cod on Saturday. Hopefully resting our senior citizens will reap dividends. I'm not fussed about Mansfield using the competition to their advantage so far as having international weekends off as they have got to go Sat - Tues - Sat twice more in the league now.
mansfield's first free tuesday is now in the week before they play us. ideal if they rearrange the grimsby game for that slot.

Strange how we see games and players so differently.
Gordon was pretty pathetic at defending and hardly passed to a Lincoln player the entire first half. Very good attacking wise in the 2nd half but is obvious why DC would play Wilson ahead of him if Eardley is ever injured. Green and Mensah looked miles away from replacing Akinde and Andrade in a first choice team and Rhead had far away his best half hour of the season after the hour mark. Andrade coukd easily be MoM for a simply brilliant 20 minute game changing cameo performance. Whartons first 15 minutes were a nightmare but steadied and improved.
Entertaining enjoyable game but played in an atmosphere similar to a pre season friendly and Humphries for Scunny looked a proper player.
P. S Slocombe had his best game yet for us.