Match Thread: Scunthorpe United v Lincoln City | Page 4 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Scunthorpe United v Lincoln City

Very pleasing game overall. Thought we were the better team overall though I’m not sure how strong the Scunny line up was and they didn’t look interested until they went 1-0 down.

We got the ball in to very decent areas without creating many clear cut chances. I liked the look of 5-3-2. I have literally no idea what our strongest 11 is, such is the squad depth. Probably the strongest squad I’ve ever seen at lincoln (pre-season at least). Just hope the Cowleys know! Don’t want to be chopping and changing the formation too much.

I thought McCartan was excellent. So calm on the ball and linked the play excellently.

Slightly surprised Luque didn’t get game time if he’s still on trial? Sounds like we’re probably signing him?

Biggest disappointment was probably Akinde. Not sure what I was expecting, but, I Thought he looked off the pace and struggled to win headers and get involved in the game. Rheady on the other hand looked quality, he won his headers well and linked up play. He’ll play a big part this season.

Should be a good season ahead!

Morning Perth, hope you are getting in some early morning pre-season training in.
Training - against my religion ??. Not too bad as its only a 10pm to midnight stretch. Its the midweek evening games that get me - 3:45 in the morning ??.

We surely must have signed/have some kind of agreement in place with Luque by now or what's the point in keeping him on as a trialist and, in today's case, not even giving him any minutes?!

Sounds like mcCartan is the midfield link man DC was after, as well as possibly a goal-scorer occasionally. Supposed to be pretty useful with FKs? Really liking the reports - can't wait to actually see the team in action - lots to look forward to. UTI

Very pleasing game overall. Thought we were the better team overall though I’m not sure how strong the Scunny line up was and they didn’t look interested until they went 1-0 down.

We got the ball in to very decent areas without creating many clear cut chances. I liked the look of 5-3-2. I have literally no idea what our strongest 11 is, such is the squad depth. Probably the strongest squad I’ve ever seen at lincoln (pre-season at least). Just hope the Cowleys know! Don’t want to be chopping and changing the formation too much.

I thought McCartan was excellent. So calm on the ball and linked the play excellently.

Slightly surprised Luque didn’t get game time if he’s still on trial? Sounds like we’re probably signing him?

Biggest disappointment was probably Akinde. Not sure what I was expecting, but, I Thought he looked off the pace and struggled to win headers and get involved in the game. Rheady on the other hand looked quality, he won his headers well and linked up play. He’ll play a big part this season.

Should be a good season ahead!

As I said a day or two ago, I think it will be a few weeks until we see the best out of Akinde.

Pre-season minutes:

Scott Wharton 360
Luke Waterfall 360
Harry Toffolo 335
Neal Eardley 307
Tom Pett 291
James Wilson 289
Matt Green 278
Shay McCartan 275
Harry Anderson 271
Josh Vickers 270
Bruno Andrade 260
Ellis Chapman 244
Matt Rhead 226
Lee Frecklington 195
Grant Smith 180
John Akinde 179
Michael Bostwick 48
Michael O'Connor 26

Including at least 60 minutes each in the bounce game at Hull, eleven players have reached 300 minutes.

We surely must have signed/have some kind of agreement in place with Luque by now or what's the point in keeping him on as a trialist and, in today's case, not even giving him any minutes?!
DC said they are still weighing up the options. Will play against Derby.

All accounts seem to suggest Akinde is short of match fitness & those figures seem to bear it out, so I think it will be two or three games in before we start to see the full Akinde Magic. Could be exciting if he starts hitting the net, plus Andrade, plus McCartan, plus Greeny, plus Rheady. So many options.

JA is a significant concern to me. No running and no apparent interest. Could not win a challenge. Wants it into his feet but no movement meaning he is easy to mark. Does not appear able to win a header. Wouldn't play him next week on that performance.

DC said they are still weighing up the options. Will play against Derby.
so we are still weighing up our options. how long does it take to judge a player's quality?
from the player's point of view, he has spent the whole of pre-season on trial, and been on tour. in so doing he has been prevented from going anywhere else on trial. imo, it doesn't look good for our club if we now send him back to heybridge after tuesday... with just a week before the window closes. i hope the player agreed to all this, and didn't want to trial at, or sign for any other club.