Match thread - Rotherham v Forest, must win ? | Page 15 | Vital Football

Match thread - Rotherham v Forest, must win ?

I thought Cafu was good, I imagine he's a real nuisance to play against and that's exactly what he was last night.

Cafu was dreadful.
And I just don't see how people (Murray) can stand offside, make no effort to get onside (when he knows the ball is on it's way), and wonder why the flag went up. i don't care how old he is, he should be onside the very few times the ball comes into the box.

Yes . It was easier to hit our own players

Taylor and blackett are useful subs to see out games.

Fair play to Yates he fought hard. It's horrible to see a young man get so much abuse from idiots. Hes a good lad.
Yates was up for the fight all night and led by example while others were disappearing up their own arseholes.

I would be tempted to see what he can do at centre back but I certainly wouldn’t be getting rid of him. There are plenty who deserve binning ahead of him.

That feel good factor eh chaps? Makes life taste that little bit sweeter.

Hows your missus BTW CP?

Thanks for asking, and much better. Once they got her fever down they tried a few different medicines and she responded to one very quickly. There is a bit of headscratching about what exactly it was (they were initially sure it was something bad but now it just might be), what the trigger was, when/if it will return etc.

She still looks like I took a belt to most of her body but she came home on Monday so yay.

Thanks for asking, and much better. Once they got her fever down they tried a few different medicines and she responded to one very quickly. There is a bit of headscratching about what exactly it was (they were initially sure it was something bad but now it just might be), what the trigger was, when/if it will return etc.

She still looks like I took a belt to most of her body but she came home on Monday so yay.
Good to hear cp. As an aside issue my wife also caught covid, made me realise how important she is to me, didn't know my arse from my elbow at the time. Stay safe.

That must have been one hell of a culture shock for Cafu last night; he did not fancy that from the first whistle onwards.

Hiding for the entire 90 minutes takes some doing, but he managed it with some comfort.

You can see why Hughton did not pick Ribeiro either; he would have ended up as road kill.

I thought that about ribz and i dont think it was cafu's best game by a long way but harsh. We got 3 pts, rested players and further enhanced trust in the manager. Good nights work even below the standard of the past few weeks. Beat the sheep and we will feel better still.

Can’t help but notice the togetherness within the squads appears to have improved drastically over the last few weeks since we’ve got a bit more of a settled side. No doubt results will contribute to a happier dressing room, but equally, a closer dressing room will have contributed to better results.

Makes me hopeful that Hughton can give it a right good go next season.

Cafu wasn’t that bad. He did a lot of good covering, particularly when Christie marauded forward. It was down a notch from previous three games but he was playing slightly deeper allowing Yates to get forward. Think he plays better with Garner alongside of him but right call from CH yesterday.

Cafu may get a rest on Friday and mid two be Yates and Garner. Ameobi on left with Ribz but otherwise the same.

Assuming all of the loans go back and the contracts of Dawson, Hefele and Dialo are run down, and the transfers of Da Costa, Ioannou and Carvalho are completed, we will be down to a squad of 20 players which excludes youngsters like Mighten, Johnson, Soh and Fornah - they do not have to be included in the 25 man squad.

Then there are the contracts of Ribiero and Sow to look at, both of which are up in June; both can go for me, Ribeiro is just not strong enough and prone to lapses of concentration and Sow is incredibly bad value - his injury situation means he only plays one game in every two, gets booked in half of those, puts in one good performance in five, and is generally an accident waiting to happen.

Ameobi's contract is up but I would definitely be offering him at least one more season.

Regardless of who we have in mind as transfer targets I would be offering Murray another year; get 15 to 20 games out of him and 5 or 6 goals, which is not beyond the realms of fantasy, and he is well worth it.

Then we have the players with a year left on their contracts:

Jenkinson can go for me; the problem will be finding him a Club who will pay him what he is on - I certainly would not want to be paying his contract up, it is too costly a way of doing business and brings us one step closer to having to sell a promising youngster.

I just cannot see Hughton wanting Bong to leave; he is not the best full back but will be fine as cover.

Blackett and Bachirou will have one year remaining; I can see Hughton keeping Blackett and letting Bachirou go; he will not be on a great wage and should have little trouble finding a Club.

Which leaves Grabban; usually I would be against getting rid of a player like him but it does look like age is catching up with him and he has shown little signs of getting over the exertions of last season.

If Lamouchi is still keen on signing him, maybe there is a deal to be done; sell Grabban and Carvalho and maybe there will be no need for Worrall to go.

Figueredo has a year remaining on his contract; I would not want to be moving him on unless we have a suitable replacement.

Then there is Arter; if the rumours are correct that he wants out and the Club want him gone, it will be difficult for him to stay; if only he was not on such a good deal.

That potentially leaves us with a squad of 14 players plus Mighten, Johnson, Fornah, Soh and Swann.

That would be a very good starting position for Hughton to put together a squad capable of promotion.

Would love to see us get garner and krov back. Imo those 2 have been instrumental in our turnaround. Agree about murray, very impressive for a oap.

So the beauty of TV replays, yes Yates fractionally offside , it also shows penalty on Figs who was not offside . Swings and roundabouts .
There is the problem with commentators and pundits , no mention of the foul on Figs who actually plays it to Yates .

And the Rovrum dive on the edge of their area when he was outnumbered by three Forest players, That would have been a certain goal.

Yes as above, it was offside but my god they got away with a few last night so I’m certainly not reflecting on the game and counting my lucky stars we got the 1-0. They rode their luck for periods and it ran out.

Also worth noting, other than the dive the defender took when he lost out to win a free kick when we’d have scored, the tussle between fig and their defender where they squared up. It wasn’t a foul and if not for the off the ball incident, Forest had scored then too.

Good to hear and glad she is recovering. Hopefully they can figure it for you both as well.

Was hungover yesterday after celebrating getting vaccinated, so had an early night and checked for footy results this morning.

Just watched on ifollow match replay, and it was a grim struggle in horrible conditions. The best thing was the Rotherham commentators who went from homely Yorkshire reminiscing to total meltdown in the second half.

Predictably, they wouldn't shut up about our goal being offside. Less so, they went on and on about the air shot near the end, claiming their player was caught as he tried to take a shot. Several replays showed no such thing, but they wouldn't let it go. Hilarious.

Worrall, Christie and Yates were all excellent. Taylor nearly scored a great goal to wrap it up. Onwards and upwards.

Was hungover yesterday after celebrating getting vaccinated, so had an early night and checked for footy results this morning.

Just watched on ifollow match replay, and it was a grim struggle in horrible conditions. The best thing was the Rotherham commentators who went from homely Yorkshire reminiscing to total meltdown in the second half.

Predictably, they wouldn't shut up about our goal being offside. Less so, they went on and on about the air shot near the end, claiming their player was caught as he tried to take a shot. Several replays showed no such thing, but they wouldn't let it go. Hilarious.

Worrall, Christie and Yates were all excellent. Taylor nearly scored a great goal to wrap it up. Onwards and upwards.

I don't think any of their fans claimed a penalty.

Assuming all of the loans go back and the contracts of Dawson, Hefele and Dialo are run down, and the transfers of Da Costa, Ioannou and Carvalho are completed, we will be down to a squad of 20 players which excludes youngsters like Mighten, Johnson, Soh and Fornah - they do not have to be included in the 25 man squad.

Then there are the contracts of Ribiero and Sow to look at, both of which are up in June; both can go for me, Ribeiro is just not strong enough and prone to lapses of concentration and Sow is incredibly bad value - his injury situation means he only plays one game in every two, gets booked in half of those, puts in one good performance in five, and is generally an accident waiting to happen.

Ameobi's contract is up but I would definitely be offering him at least one more season.

Regardless of who we have in mind as transfer targets I would be offering Murray another year; get 15 to 20 games out of him and 5 or 6 goals, which is not beyond the realms of fantasy, and he is well worth it.

Then we have the players with a year left on their contracts:

Jenkinson can go for me; the problem will be finding him a Club who will pay him what he is on - I certainly would not want to be paying his contract up, it is too costly a way of doing business and brings us one step closer to having to sell a promising youngster.

I just cannot see Hughton wanting Bong to leave; he is not the best full back but will be fine as cover.

Blackett and Bachirou will have one year remaining; I can see Hughton keeping Blackett and letting Bachirou go; he will not be on a great wage and should have little trouble finding a Club.

Which leaves Grabban; usually I would be against getting rid of a player like him but it does look like age is catching up with him and he has shown little signs of getting over the exertions of last season.

If Lamouchi is still keen on signing him, maybe there is a deal to be done; sell Grabban and Carvalho and maybe there will be no need for Worrall to go.

Figueredo has a year remaining on his contract; I would not want to be moving him on unless we have a suitable replacement.

Then there is Arter; if the rumours are correct that he wants out and the Club want him gone, it will be difficult for him to stay; if only he was not on such a good deal.

That potentially leaves us with a squad of 14 players plus Mighten, Johnson, Fornah, Soh and Swann.

That would be a very good starting position for Hughton to put together a squad capable of promotion.
Great summary and I agree with almost everything posted. My only difference of opinion, would be to offer Ribs a new contract and bring Ioannu back into the fold, and try (But unlikely) to offload Bong. If Ioannu is sold, then we're stuck with Bong but I would keep Ribs. I would also sell Figs if we can. Blackett can cover CB.
We do need a top class right back, and have Gabriel as cover. Brennan is back too along with McGuane