Match Thread: Preston Away | Page 4 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Preston Away

I couldn't make the game today but whenever I see us without Morsy i worry.

Need some bravery and toughness in the centre, I can't believe people were saying we don't need him and wouldn't mind if he was sold!

3 Mil on a RM and he plays Jacobs out of position?

Weird

Shite. Complete and utter shite.

Why change the balance of the attack by moving Jacobs wings to accommodate Naismith? He’s crap at the best of times but when there are other options available it quite frankly beggars belief.

We couldn’t defend a cross to save our lives and the rot started with the one Marshall let slip through his hands at the start of their sequence of early corners. The Byrne/Jacobs Robinson/Naismith combos were dreadful and the centre halves ineffective.

Out run in midfield and for those clowns that think we don’t need Morsy need to give their heads a wobble. Windass was probably the least worst of a bad bunch. Then we had the sight of fucking Naismith at centre half. Give me strength. I’m guessing Fox was injured but was there any reason to throw the armband to the floor and strop off?

All in all a truly shocking afternoon, not a single positive to take from it.

Urgh .... Very few positives today after a bright start to the season last weekend.
Joe Williams off the bench looked a decent partner for Sam Morsy (please be back soon).

Obviously watching last season's drubbing was really a tactics session to try and fool Preston.
"Paul Cook has forced his Wigan Athletic squad to sit through video nasties of last season's thrashing at Preston to motivate them for Saturday's return trip.
Latics put in their worst performance of the season at Deepdale in front of their biggest away following, crashing to a 4-0 defeat and having midfielder Darron Gibson sent off.
And Cook says he wants his men to remember just how much it hurt - to ensure there is no repeat."

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/football/wigan-athletic-boss-unusual-recipe-for-revenge-1-9926756

Two superb saves from Declan Rudd and last season's away form kicks back in.
Darron Gibson nowhere near the ground to blame this time.
Anthony Robinson managed to replicate his Preston performance last season in only his 2nd match of this season ..... We were quite shocked how poor he was at times.
Michael Jacobs playing a deep role barely featured.
Preston players knew where their team mates were even when hoofing the ball. Superior passing and movement .... I think the manager needs to give Roberto a ring to ask how to get the players to pass the ball at away matches ... really poor.
The team looked like a team that had been thrown together.
Kal Naismith probably one of the few Wigan players who can hold his head up.

Marshall is looking like a potential liability if he doesn't sort out his ring rust.
Christian Walton looked more composed than he did in last season's away losses.

Would post the post match manager excuses, but I think the youtube post match videos have stopped and interviews are via the club website.
This post match melt down will do though.

Early days yet and I am sure the team will improve the away form.

Thing that annoys me is we’re clearly good enough for any team in this league but if we are going to put a team together full of crap combinations and pick clearly the wrong players in the wrong positions wtf do you expect? We will lose.

Why change a winning team? If we’d lost with a winning team fair enough but that’s what ruins players confidence, changing lads that don’t deserve to be dropped. Pilkington the only injured lad should of come out today and Lowe should have been in, play on the break and get at them.

Simple stuff and cook can’t see it.

And no i don’t want his head I just want us to go better than narrowly avoid the drop again cause we have clear and obvious potential. Bloody frustrating

Shite. Complete and utter shite.

Why change the balance of the attack by moving Jacobs wings to accommodate Naismith? He’s crap at the best of times but when there are other options available it quite frankly beggars belief.

We couldn’t defend a cross to save our lives and the rot started with the one Marshall let slip through his hands at the start of their sequence of early corners. The Byrne/Jacobs Robinson/Naismith combos were dreadful and the centre halves ineffective.

Out run in midfield and for those clowns that think we don’t need Morsy need to give their heads a wobble. Windass was probably the least worst of a bad bunch. Then we had the sight of fucking Naismith at centre half. Give me strength. I’m guessing Fox was injured but was there any reason to throw the armband to the floor and strop off?

All in all a truly shocking afternoon, not a single positive to take from it.
Naismith at centre half. Well that's a Cook classic. Dunkley on the bench. Another way to complicate a very simple game. Nonsensical tactics team choice and substitutions.
Would you not think Cook had not learned anything after last season.
That side was so much weaker than what we finished last season with FFS!!! It's pathetic.

Naismith at centre half. Well that's a Cook classic. Dunkley on the bench. Another way to complicate a very simple game. Nonsensical tactics team choice and substitutions.
That side was so much weaker than what we finished last season with FFS!!! It's pathetic.

You think he should have brought on a centre half when we are 3-0 down?
Think about it.

But we lost an attacking midfielder in Naismith to play at centre half did. Is Fox injured again or was it some more tactical nouse by Cook to play a left winger as centre half.

Waste of time today. If your going to give the other team 70% possession in the first half it doesn't matter who's on the pitch, your not winning that game. Having no outlet on either wing resulted in us constantly defending. Sitting deep, completely allowing them the freedom to play without any kind of press from the front. Never in the game for one moment.

Second half when they were seeing the game out allowing us to play, never looked like scoring.

Only positive was Williams and Lowe.

Moore was like a tree trunk, ball kept bouncing off him in all directions. Haven't seen much of him, but didn't look like a patch on Clarke from that display.

Played better at CB today than either Fox or Kipre. Only time we looked at all settled at the back is when he moved there.

It’s obvious neither Massey nor Lowe started because of fitness issues, but I fear we may have no choice but to play them next week regardless. Needless to say that the two fullbacks didn’t look particularly bothered today, and I wouldn’t hesitate to play Pearce and Sterling instead of them against Leeds.

Please don’t blame the ref. We are beaten by a team better than us with better players, in goal, in defence, in midfield and in attack.

There is one positive, we will improve. In the future, our away starting lineup will have Lowe, Windass and Massey as our three attacking midfielders, Morsy in CM and Sterling at right back. We will win games away from home in future with those players all in the team, I am sure of it.

But they don’t appear on the pitch together and we insist on fitting square pegs in round holes to accommodate certain players in the team e.g moving Jacobs to accommodate Naismith, then Paul Cook needs to be held to account. If you want to play Naismith, you drop Jacobs. Simple as that!

I didn't blame the ref. I just said he was a disgrace....... Which he was.

I also said that he - for no reason - made us defend the corner (where they scored their first) a man down..... Which he did.

Not blaming. Just commenting.