Match Thread Posh v Blackpool | Page 10 | Vital Football

Match Thread Posh v Blackpool

I must have been watching a different game as they played more of a flat 4-3-3 in that game with Ward on the right of the midfield three stepping out to join the attack where necessary.

The more telling thing in that game was they allowed Lubala, Yates and Kemp to get closer together and link up, as well as being able to push on when a cross was an option rather than have to stop and safe pass back. Not the zonal positioning thing we saw earlier in the season. Which looks more in line with what league one/two lads feel more comfortable with in this set up. Although Yates still looked unsure with the middle of the front three role without a recognised partner, but he kept going.

radio cambs saying they were undone by the formation, attitude and we are far and away the best they have faced.

Don't think we particularly stopped Peterborough. 4-4-2 shouldn't really be a surprise to 3-4-2-1. They just didn't seem to start playing, until a couple of mins before their equaliser.

Maybe they don't like winter starting, noticed that about them last season and something I always used to see in Arsenal. They were good but you could get at them if they didn't fancy it.

But yes, all about intentions to get into positions to score goals for me. Making the most of your moments. Staying solid in the middle and defending as best you can, given the standard, when you have to. We didn't really have that as a whole at the start of the season. The main focus to me seemed to be on winning the possession and passing stats, because the view was that if the players did that then they could win a game. But you actually have to try to win games.

Don't think we particularly stopped Peterborough. 4-4-2 shouldn't really be a surprise to 3-4-2-1. They just didn't seem to start playing, until a couple of mins before their equaliser.

Maybe they don't like winter starting, noticed that about them last season and something I always used to see in Arsenal. They were good but you could get at them if they didn't fancy it.

But yes, all about intentions to get into positions to score goals for me. Making the most of your moments. Staying solid in the middle and defending as best you can, given the standard, when you have to. We didn't really have that as a whole at the start of the season. The main focus to me seemed to be on winning the possession and passing stats, because the view was that if the players did that then they could win a game. But you actually have to try to win games.

Posh were up for it make no mistake, The credit has to go to us, we were by far the better side. Lets not forget. that. We actually look like a Championship side.

Definitely credit for the start of the game and gained confidence from it. It would have been clear to any of our lot who went to Crewe last week or watched tape, that even though they've moved away from a midfield diamond now with the squad changes (which Grayson killed with width and a 3-4-2-1 himself a year ago), Ferguson teams usually offer up enough clues at the back of how you can get at them.

But whatever we did today they just looked lethargic in offering a response to me. Until realising after 75-80 minutes that they had to step it up and obviously got their equaliser from getting into a position to win the corner. Then marking and Kent is a taller defender than Madine is a forward.

Huge fan of their recruitment and profit policy and I want us to copy it and do it right, with no half measures. But I think they have to win the league this season or else they'll just end up sacking Ferguson again. Then having a shit year. Then bringing him back a few years later, as only he can get them attacking. And so on.

Definitely credit for the start of the game and gained confidence from it. It would have been clear to any of our lot who went to Crewe last week or watched tape, that even though they've moved away from a midfield diamond now with the squad changes (which Grayson killed with width and a 3-4-2-1 himself a year ago), Ferguson teams usually offer up enough clues at the back of how you can get at them.

But whatever we did today they just looked lethargic in offering a response to me. Until realising after 75-80 minutes that they had to step it up and obviously got their equaliser from getting into a position to win the corner. Then marking and Kent is a taller defender than Madine is a forward.

Huge fan of their recruitment and profit policy and I want us to copy it and do it right, with no half measures. But I think they have to win the league this season or else they'll just end up sacking Ferguson again. Then having a shit year. Then bringing him back a few years later, as only he can get them attacking. And so on.[/QU

Huge fan of their recruitment and profit policy and I want us to copy it and do it right, with no half measures. But I think they have to win the league this season or else they'll just end up sacking Ferguson again. Then having a shit year. Then bringing him back a few years later, as only he can get them attacking. And so on.

I wonder what Barry the fish Fryer thinks of it all ?

Posh were up for it make no mistake, The credit has to go to us, we were by far the better side. Lets not forget. that. We actually look like a Championship side.
Think you're absolutely spot on mate. We came out of the traps very quickly and didn't let them settle (a contrast to the league games earlier this season). We also seemed to twig everything they did was coming through their number 10 and put two men on him.

I thought, given they were top before kickoff, it was an excellent performance by us and an excellent, deserved result.

I've just watched the extended highlights it's filled me with joy. would of been a long week in isolation had we of lost. I missed most of the first half yesterday because my internet or ifollow is rubbish. We seem to have more urgency when we are in the oppositions half, having a shot at goal really can make the difference when trying to win a football match long may it continue.

I wonder where we would be now if Madine and Yates had been paired together from the start of the season.
Probably the same place bear. There has been more urgency and less messing about since Calderwoods arrival. The ball is being moved a lot quicker, hence more involvement in the final third.

My view of the Peterborough v Pool game.

Again not so much of the pretty football--only when essential and having to pass back from midfield to the defense when forward play or sideways play was not on. Players running into space off the ball to create forward passing opportunities. One-- two's evident (known as the wall pass in Oz and perhaps in the U.K.). Players making efforts to gain advantage from what may be considered as no hope balls and making some of them. Fitness levels of all Pool players have definitely lifted over the course of the past 4 games. They are now playing as a team and not as individuals. If only they could score from 70 % of the the opportunities that they create from their own hard work and not blasting over the bar or just outside of the posts. A never give up attitude goes a long way. Peterborough were shell shocked from the get go as Pool didn't let them play their normal game. A game I might add I predicted as 2-0 to the Posh. My MOM goes jointly to Ekpiteta, Dougall and Yates. :clown:

Last edited:
My view of the Portsmouth v Pool game.

Again not so much of the pretty football--only when essential and having to pass back from midfield to the defense when forward play or sideways play was not on. Players running into space off the ball to create forward passing opportunities. One-- two's evident (known as the wall pass in Oz and perhaps in the U.K.). Players making efforts to gain advantage from what may be considered as no hope balls and making some of them. Fitness levels of all Pool players have definitely lifted over the course of the past 4 games. They are now playing as a team and not as individuals. If only they could score from 90 % of the the opportunities that they create from their own hard work and not blasting over the bar or just outside of the posts. A never give up attitude goes a long way. Portsmouth were shell shocked from the get go as Pool didn't let them play their normal game. A game I might add I predicted as 2-0 to the Posh. My MOM goes jointly to Ekpiteta, Dougall and Yates. :clown:
Hope you've seen the future mate and we do beat Portsmouth!

Thank you Sexy.

I fear that Bear has been getting far too familiar with Muf recently,-- partly due to his handsomely trimmed and conditioned beard. I leave it to the locked down elderly ladies of Bath to decide whether they prefer Mouth or Muf. :grinning:

Last edited:
The ladies of Bath are in mourning as my favours are exclusively reserved for my Spanish girlfriend these days. At least when I am in Valencia the colours of the local side are vaguely familiar.