Match Thread: Port Vale v Lincoln City | Page 22 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Port Vale v Lincoln City

This from a neutral(ish)...

With no Brentford game today and starved of proper football I went to see Port Vale against Liincoln City. Seems like I picked the right match - it was hugely entertaining and finished 6-2 to Lincoln.

Lincoln were fast and direct and dominated the game physically, But they didn't play hoofball. They actually passed it around quite nicely at times, playing out from the back cleverly on occasions. I was very impressed with their work ethic ad their team spirit.. They were hyper-organised and everyone knew what their job was. One or two players caught my eye - Shay McCarten the right sided midfielder did well and scored a fine goal - but it was more the way they played as a cohesive unit that impressed me. They are going to paralyse Leagie 2.

All this led me to wonder if we're being a bit sniffy about the Cowleys. It would be a gamble to appoint them and I think they might quickly alienate Thomas Frank were he to remain as coach. But I have a sneaking feeling they could be the lead in our pencil. I don't think they'd stop us playing football but perhaps they might turn us into winners?

These are not the managers you're looking for.
obi-wan.jpg

Plenty of compliments from the Vale lads on 1ff, who are in total shock

Reflected on their forum too:

"First, I have to say Lincoln were excellent. Yes of course we helped them in every way we could, but on nearly every issue and aspect involved behind being a successful football club they are I am afraid, the polar opposite of us, and that hurts as much as it annoys.

Yes they have plenty of money, but that was earned on the pitch, not just handed to them. They have a chairman that supports the team and management in seemingly, every way ours doesn't, have supporters who travel en mass everywhere to watch them, and in the Cowley brothers have employed a team, who are surely destined for much greater things than Div 2, and don't forget as well, proving that these type of managers are out there, it's not all about money, as before joining Lincoln, was it Braintree or Basildon the pair took to the conference play offs on an absolute shoestring budget? "

Would love to know what Toffs said to get a laugh out of Whitfield after the penalty!

Now we play the ball on the ground and have fast skillful players the bigger the pitch the better as it gives us more room to split the opposing defences. sometimes I think our pitch could do with a little more width. But great away result no matter how bad their team was we still had to be in the right positions to score.

Well it was a pleasure to be there. Did show how are game is adapting, even playing Rhead we didn't switch to hitting long diagonals into him.
Port Vale blimey, apart from the obvious defending from corners (how often do you hear a crowd cheer when a team heads away from a corner) just struck me how they never attempted to prevent Vickers passing it short to Wharton each time, just summed up, lack of effort or organisation not sure which.

I did think of Vale fans going home like this at one stage

Superb performance. Many congratulations to set piece maestro Nicky and the team for implementation. Much better variety, movement and excellent delivery.

Superb performance. Many congratulations to set piece maestro Nicky and the team for implementation. Much better variety, movement and excellent delivery.

Agreed.

And mesmerising the entire Vale team to behave like statues was an especially bold move.

We did have a bit of pre-match good fortune. Anderson was supposed to be on the bench until Shackell pulled out - and Anderson got the early goal that settled us down and went on to have just about his best game of the season.

What a turnaround on set pieces though. Danny's big criticisism of the past few games has been that we have wasted our numerous set pieces. Lets hope we can keep it up!

Great performances by the two lads that also steppedin. Both Rhead and Wharton must be challenging for a start next week even if everyone is fit.

Amazing, just read the Sun in my local & O’conner & Shackell made team of the day! Work that one out?
The reporters who write for these rags can't get their heads out of the Premiership bottoms, to put it politely. Put all the names in a bag and draw out the first eleven.