Match Thread: Plymouth Argyle v Lincoln City | Page 44 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Plymouth Argyle v Lincoln City

Results tend to come with performance. We've got 16 matches left not 6. I think we need to remember that. If we play to our potential in the next 2 matches - probably without Jorge and still lose then maybe we should revisit my theory.

This stage of the season it’s not about performances it’s about results.

It doesn’t matter how well you play if you lose.

We are having a good season but I just wish the in game tactics would improve.

On any day we are as good as anyone. I just think our lack of plan B is costing us.

Also if players are tired you don’t do things that increase the chance of error.

I am not being a doom merchant or any of the accusations levelled at people who are questioning. As I said above the world would be very boring if it was only filled with yes men!

Obviously results are the most important thing to take from a game. However, there is still a third of the season to go and yesterday saw us get some of the quick, direct attacking play back that made us so effective earlier in the season. That has to give us optimism for the rest of the season.

Fresh legs for Plymouth?
Most annoying thing for me is working with Peterborough's number 1 fan who told me on Friday they'd be 4 points clear by 5pm!
Really changed his tune since they started winning, wanted the season called off not so long ago, twat!

Gloating is not only unattractive, it makes you a hostage to fortune and you usually end up looking like a t***

There's a fair few posters on here who've never learned that lesson :)

I don't think at any point after we went 0-2 down did we sit back. If it appeared that way in the last 15 minutes it was simply because no team will be able to continue one way traffic for a full 45. Plymouth may have retained ball a bit better later on when they introduced fresh legs. In fact what they did was what we usually excel at - play on the break. I reckon that their equaliser (77') was their second dangerous foray of the half (Edun's superb block a few minutes earlier was the first). The first move after Grant went off (83') we almost scored. Even in injury time, EDun looked to launch an attack which is why he lost the ball for their fourth goal. It was such an attacking performance bordering on the naive at times - I would argue that we probably should have sat back, especially injury time, in order to take the point; indeed, we may well have done if Bridcutt had been playing.

I don't think we deliberately sat back after going 3-2 up, but we definitely slowed down the play and started to look a bit cocky as a result. That handed the initiative back to Plymouth.

A couple of older hands in the team might have quickly stopped that, but equally the coaching staff on the sidelines should really have seen it and either started yelling at the players, or made a couple of changes to freshen things up.

However we are a young developing team who are still learning, so it will happen.

Hopefully we can bounce back the next few games, but I'm concerned 4 of the next 5 are at home. We struggle at home when sides sit back, and our pitch is not the greatest. We played some good stuff yesterday on an excellent playing surface, and that is what our players need to be at their best.

I think, sometimes, in the heat of the moment witnessing a defeat like that is rather more vexing than a good old-fashioned hammering.

Still, amazing and fascinating season with plenty of surprises still to come, I imagine.

I wonder with regard to the substitutions, if MA questions are the fresh legs of the players on the bench, better than the tired legs of the first XI that are on the field and maybe he thinks they aren’t.

If the likes of Walsh, Bridcutt, Grant and Anderson are fit, there are four players, who are either in the starting eleven or extremely close, which gives a lot more scope and quality on the bench.

Didn't see the game or have read this thread so apologies if I'm calling this wrong/repeating things etc!

I straight away thought Accrington last season when I saw the result.

This result and performance are what I thought we'd get most of this season tbh. A young side, missing a bit of experience and scoring and conceding in equal measure.

We're obviously being killed by having Walsh and Bridcutt out at the same time (the latter the more important of the two I think) and therefore having to move Grant around. The rotating the full backs wouldn't have been as big a issue if they were available and that's probably unsettling us slightly as well.

I wonder whether we could get away with trying to Poole in a defensive midfield position? I know we like someone in there who can start attacks and pass their way through but at the minute I wonder whether we just need someone who'll offer us a bit more of a defensive mind?

We need to dig in for the next three or four weeks and hopefully get Morton, Bridcutt, Anderson, Walsh all back.

I don’t know if this match thread is depressing or hilarious.

Accusations of racism for saying some one has a bad attitude (I don’t agree that he has a bad attitude, maybe wasn’t like a Duracell bunny all game, but not a bad attitude imo - just a different type of player). It would be different if the poster picked every/the majority of BAME players in the squad and said they all had a bad attitude - which is obviously not the case and imo that would be racist.

It was a great game of football, lows, highs and then lows again (for us Imps). That is what I watch football for, yes it’s gutting we lost, but come on get a grip.. we were entertained, we are 2nd in league 1 - yes it’s acceptable to critique some parts of the season and that’s what football is about. But look at the bigger picture.

I like to see good football and it’s even better when results follow it, but that’s not always possible, enjoy the ride and don’t get to caught up in it.

Fresh legs for Plymouth?
Most annoying thing for me is working with Peterborough's number 1 fan who told me on Friday they'd be 4 points clear by 5pm!
Really changed his tune since they started winning, wanted the season called off not so long ago, twat!
I wouldn't pay much heed to an "adult" that suddenly changes the team he supports, and I assume has done for a good number of years. Some things are not for changing, however bad (or good:shrug:) things get. But, it's a free country, and it takes all sorts.

I wonder with regard to the substitutions, if MA questions are the fresh legs of the players on the bench, better than the tired legs of the first XI that are on the field and maybe he thinks they aren’t.

If the likes of Walsh, Bridcutt, Grant and Anderson are fit, there are four players, who are either in the starting eleven or extremely close, which gives a lot more scope and quality on the bench.
Fair point it's very odd neither Archibald or Sanders got 10 or 15 minutes at the end, were they not even fit enough for that?

Fair point it's very odd neither Archibald or Sanders got 10 or 15 minutes at the end, were they not even fit enough for that?
They quite possibly weren't David. MA as recently as last week indicated that Archibald is barely fit enough for a few minutes and midweek indicated that Sanders had picked up a hamstring strain.

I presume if we looked at the Plymouth forum they would be complaining they sat back after going 2 up (remember the part where commentator said it was like a training session attack v defence) where we are or were praising us for taking back the initiative. Reality is always something in between and strangely the opposition don’t always allow you to do what you want.

I wouldn't pay much heed to an "adult" that suddenly changes the team he supports, and I assume has done for a good number of years. Some things are not for changing, however bad (or good:shrug:) things get. But, it's a free country, and it takes all sorts.
He 'transferred ' during last season, but had been a big critic of the Cowleys post winning the national league, didn't renew his season ticket in 2017, made some very strange comments about the direction of the club, all of them wrong.

Not pointing any fingers here just trying to understand our leakiness lately. I know jot every goal has come down or started down our left side but it feels like we are easily exposed down that flank. Maybe a combination of Rogers being not as defensively strong as Johnson, and Walsh (left cb) and Bridcutt (covering all the gaps) being out is really leaving us exposed to a lot two on ones or just sometimes no one out there. It feels like that is a real soft spot at the moment.

Again goals have come from other places too and I'm not blaming Rogers but the balance just doesn't feel right at all down that side.

They quite possibly weren't David. MA as recently as last week indicated that Archibald is barely fit enough for a few minutes and midweek indicated that Sanders had picked up a hamstring strain.
Seems strange to put them on the bench if they can't play, go old school and just have one lol!