Match Thread: Plymouth Argyle v Lincoln City | Page 35 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Plymouth Argyle v Lincoln City

OK. Very good penalty.

Now we have to show we can kick on. Whatever we do, we shouldn't let them creep back into this and defend the lead. Push on for another goal.
Playing them off the pitch, take the lead 3-2 then take the foot off the peddle. Why?

Yes, it's football, these things happen.

We didn't help ourselves of course but between minute 15 and minute 75 we were really, really good, so though I'm disappointed with the result I feel I've had my money's worth (unlike Tuesday).
To those that asked, my comment wasn’t ironic. We were really good for 60 minutes out of 90, but that doesn’t cut it at the top. Nor does conceding four goals, we’ll beaten by our closest rival just days ago. We played nice controlling football. But it’s results, end of. We had goal scoring chances, and bar McGrandles great finish, didn’t capitalise on any. At the back, we’re looking very fragile, gifting possession too freely and second to the ball too often. it was our strength at the back that underpinned our earlier attacking options and good form. Injuries to the spine are taking their toll. Can’t believe that hiding behind a “these things happen” is an acceptable out.

That was so harsh on us. I thought a draw was going to flatter them and then they score again. We were great going forward but Hoppers open goal miss was such a turning point. At the end I was shouting at Tayo, don't bloody lose it there and he did. A shame and he didn't deserve that but he does takeachanceortwoin dangerous areas. As for Grants injury well it looked bad. I hope it doesn't derail our season. Totally gutted.
Great Summary

If you're going to sit back when you go 2-3 up then get you're luxury players off, got Sanders, Jones and Eyoma there all could have helped slow the game down to cross the line, Brennan and Rogers did ok today but they get you back into games and not see you over the line.
Absolutely this^.
For the life of me, I cant understand why we didnt stiffen the midfield at 2-3. We kept on the ball playing, attack minded young lads. We went 2 down because we are too open early on, why on earth not change it late on when you know they are going to throw the cider stills at us?
MApp is an excellent manager. With respect to him, I think he got it wrong today.
I hope we find some steel midweek. We are still a massive threat going forward. Defensively, we are looking like very fragile.

For large chunks of that game we looked absolutely class and the best we've played in some time. When we started pressing, we looked like a different team. We now look fragile in defence, though. As others have said, Hopper buries that chance and I think that really would have been 'game over'.

That game is a cross roads moment if ever there was one. Started so badly and then played so well to turn it around. Having taken the lead dropped the pace so much that Plymouth were really handed the initiative and then shot ourselves in the foot gifting them two goals to lose the match after we had great opportunities earlier on to kill the game off. Oh and a potentially nasty injury to Jorge Grant.

So it's time to make sure nobody feels sorry for themselves, MA needs to take stock and make sure that the 11 that go again on Tuesday have a solid shape about them. A steely determination, concentration and back to basics refuse to lose attitude is what is called for.

A decent start will be required and we really need to get ugly and gritty for a little while whilst we regroup. There is nothing wrong with staying in a game and trying to win it late but we have to make sure we are still in it to start with. The first essential is to get to half time having competed hard and got a foothold to build from.

A true test for a young team is certainly coming on Tuesday and I want to see function over aesthetics for it.