Match Thread: Plymouth Argyle v Lincoln City | Page 46 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Plymouth Argyle v Lincoln City

This is completely understandable.

I think it really is starting to catch up with most people, you're not alone. For me, that happened about 2 weeks ago. For some reason I'm struggling to motivate myself. Not since my family in 3/4s of a year. Counting down the days for this all to be over and to return to the bank.
Everyone, just look forward to the first game back at SB: picture a sunny late summer day, a full house, imagine the noise as everyone celebrates what we hope is the end of a nightmare. We'll sing till we drop.

Cracking game of football- two teams absolutely committed to attacking, flowing football. Both teams with some high quality players and it showed. Best game of the season we've been involved in (if you were a neutral).

Clearly missing the influence of Bridcutt just being on the pitch- steadying influence but also motivating approach.

Scully was excellent yesterday as was (IMO) Poole and Edun and shows much promise for the next few years.

Gutted to lose but some of our attacking play was as good as anything this season- Argyle had 5 (yes, only five) attempts on target and 4 went in. Another day, we'd have saved/stopped any/all of them and different result. But it wasn't another day.

Yesterday was a day which happens in football- no-one wins everything.

COVID does look like it has taken a few players a couple of steps backwards (Montsma not yet recovered his pre COVID pace, positioning or passing).

Every team, except Posh, is managing to find this run post Xmas problematic. Football is a cruel mistress. At 4.30pm we were top and a point about Posh, at 4.50 we were 2nd and 4 points behind Posh. C'est la vie.

Still hard to envisage being there for start of next season.
Might have had 1st vaccination by then. Most of us should have.
But the other half of the dose is way behind. Very few have been fully vaccinated so far and I think we'll probably not see the general population fully done until late autumn.
And they haven't even mentioned under 18s yet.

And there's always the likelhood of a more virulent strain by then which a modified vaccine will be needed for.

So, whilst some will be able to return safely for August, its going to be some time yet for all of us being able to come back
And also a little unsure on what is meant by say 90% effectiveness for vaccine.
Does that mean 10% of people are still in full danger or 100% of people are in danger of 10% strength illness? It's not really explained at all properly.

But the other half of the dose is way behind. Very few have been fully vaccinated so far and I think we'll probably not see the general population fully done until late autumn.

And there's always the likelhood of a more virulent strain by then which a modified vaccine will be needed for.

So, whilst some will be able to return safely for August, its going to be some time yet for all of us being able to come back
Does that mean 10% of people are still in full danger or 100% of people are in danger of 10% strength illness? It's not really explained at all properly.

Every adult will have been offered a 1st vaccination by the end of July is the plan.
2nd vaccinations for those at risk are already in play and (subject to supply) will just continue being rolled out, everyone in the very high risk groups (age and co-morbidities) will almost certainly have had their 2nd jab by July as well.

I see no reason why football stadiums shouldn't be open in September.

If you really care about understanding efficacy of vaccines can I direct you to the rather excellently constructed SIREN study done right here in the UK...

The Pfizer vaccine is shown in that study to already be pretty proven against the UK variant and the AZ vaccine studies on a similar line are also showing great initial promise

As for effectiveness it's important to define terms when talking about it (and our media generally don't bother doing that) but as far as I can ascertain they are all (or the ones being deployed here in the UK) well over 95% effective against serious illness requiring hospitalisation and ICU care and well over 90% effective against illness requiring hospitalisation but not ICU care.

Effectiveness then goes down at preventing the mildest forms of the virus (2 or 3 days feeling groggy etc) to around 75 to 85%

Deoends on your sources and you're asking for fully formed efficacy research which will take 10 years to establish, which is why vaccine development and implementation normally takes that long.

Emerging evidence suggests all vaccines licensed so far:-
(1) reduce infections in the recipient by between 60 and 90% after a first dose, increasing after a second dose; timing of that second dose is still being evaluated - originally 2-3 weeks but evidence that the 12 week max gap now being used has no adverse effect on efficacy and is possibly better.
(2) where the recipient contracts covid the severity is greatly reduced. So tha vaccine might reduce infections by 90% and the severity of infections in the remaining 10%.
(3) early evidence that transmission from recipients is greatly reduced, but still being evaluated.

I'll be happier in crowds when I've had my 2 doses (over 60, by mid May); general vaccination progressing down the age groups with a good take-up and no anti-vaxxer selfishness. August - ie next season- might be ok for me.

As Sincilbanks has inferred, the media tend to be lazy about, or dont understand the complexities of these sorts of things. BBC and tv are as bad as most of the newspapers on this. They like simple numbers and headlines and for this, they don't exist.

In the press, I find The Times is good with facts and interpretation (not Sunday Times, its inferior sister). Others on here will recommend The Grauniad.

Mrs Riiiiik and I had the 1st dose of the Astra Zeneca vaccine at 10:0am yesterday.
We're both sat up in bed now with a headache and shivering so something is happening.
The wifi is still working so no real untoward side effects.:giggle:
The sooner we're all done the better.

I think it’s easier to predict imps final position (not a simple calc) then it is to predict when fans will be back in a stadium. If I had to take a guess I would say autumn if things go well and people behave themselves between now and then.

Last edited:
Thanks for feedback. And definitely better than tv etc.
If all adults first dose by end of July, and given the oldest groups should have had 2nd dose by then too, then 2nd dose for all younger adults should be quicker than the 12 week limit so maybe another 8 to 10 weeks to complete all adults, so by end of September hopefully?😀

Mind you, makes the "crowds back in May" claim look a bit odd and with no basis in safety. Shouldn't apply to us though hopefully unless we have dropped into the play offs (still a terrific achievement but hoping we do even better!!).

Thanks for feedback. And definitely better than tv etc.
If all adults first dose by end of July, and given the oldest groups should have had 2nd dose by then too, then 2nd dose for all younger adults should be quicker than the 12 week limit so maybe another 8 to 10 weeks to complete all adults, so by end of September hopefully?😀

Mind you, makes the "crowds back in May" claim look a bit odd and with no basis in safety. Shouldn't apply to us though hopefully unless we have dropped into the play offs (still a terrific achievement but hoping we do even better!!).

They won't be full stadiums in May, more along the lines of those tests that were conducted before the government had to bring the lockdown back after the summer