Match Thread: Plymouth Argyle v Lincoln City | Page 20 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Plymouth Argyle v Lincoln City

although it was frustrating at times, our performance in the danger zones, i mean, we still played some good entertaining football. We are doing things right.
you never know who's going to be playing from one game to the next and in what position. and yet, the system stays the same and the team still puts on a decent display consistently. credit to Michael Appleton for that.
i think we could do with bringing in a tyler walker type striker in January. Shame we lost Moreton to injury. Maybe loan out a couple of the younger, weaker players. We should have a very good chance of maintaining this great run in the league and be in with a chance of going up. Why not?

Right thing to rotate today ahead of the December schedule.

Of course, we all like a cup run and the money it can bring in (even though that will be substantially down this season), but we've placed ourselves nicely in the league to the point that a decent return over the next handful of games makes it interesting going into 2021.

Agree r.e. an alternative to Hopper. Real shame how it's panned out with Morton. I think we'll have to rely on MA to call in a favour with one of his PL mates to sort that issue out.

Right thing to rotate today ahead of the December schedule.

Of course, we all like a cup run and the money it can bring in (even though that will be substantially down this season), but we've placed ourselves nicely in the league to the point that a decent return over the next handful of games makes it interesting going into 2021.

Agree r.e. an alternative to Hopper. Real shame how it's panned out with Morton. I think we'll have to rely on MA to call in a favour with one of his PL mates to sort that issue out.

Is it still the right thing to do if we don't beat Wigan, or if we finish mid table at the end? I'm never sure about that with cup rotation... I think it's hard to say at this point whether it's the right thing to do?

I think you're right that the whole Morton thing has restricted us, though.

Similar to our wins against Oxford Charlton ipswich. They had two quality finishes and were able to defend the lead and counter attack.

we had lots of the ball but were reduced to shooting from distance, mainly high and wide. no one with a cool head when we get anywhere near goal, our attacking third play is nowhere near the rest of the set up - which is very good.

tbf to Appleton, he was most likely pinning his hopes on Morton for the missing element.

Gotts looks a tidy player, and I think we could drop in one or two of the back up players, but not 5 in one difficult match - as today.

anyone still prefer scully to hopper as centre forward?

I don't think people have been that bad tbh, being disappointed is natural - winnable cup tie. If you're just going to do that at every semi-negative comment it's just annoying haha
I dont care if you get annoyed by me being annoyed at your annoying negativity .Negativity annoys me

We seem to struggle to score from open play against fellow league one sides and it's been like for quite a while
20 efforts at goal, 7 on target and none converted bit of a worry.
Two games coming up to hopefully sort that out against Wigan and Rochdale.

Ha, I was only making a point about one element of our game today ;).

I actually think we've played well and there are positives in this defeat - Gotts has done well, Tayo has looked bright in midfield. No fingers pointed anywhere from me, just frustrating in the final third!
I know mate .I'm just having the craic

Similar to our wins against Oxford Charlton ipswich. They had two quality finishes and were able to defend the lead and counter attack.

we had lots of the ball but were reduced to shooting from distance, mainly high and wide. no one with a cool head when we get anywhere near goal, our attacking third play is nowhere near the rest of the set up - which is very good.

tbf to Appleton, he was most likely pinning his hopes on Morton for the missing element.

Gotts looks a tidy player, and I think we could drop in one or two of the back up players, but not 5 in one difficult match - as today.

anyone still prefer scully to hopper as centre forward?
Best summary of the match for me though we were much more of a threat than Oxford etc in those league games.

Frustrating, annoying, and....football. Take the league points from this week, reflect on some good things from the game including some players getting a run out and playing in different positions. Oh and practice the bloody finishing.

We're only four months into this new side and at the end of a long week on the road we've outplayed but lost to a side with an excellent home record, having made numerous changes to our line up.

Small steps and provided we're not still failing to hit cow's backsides come Easter time, massive progress will be made this season.

In fact a good time to judge will be the corresponding fixture in the league and we've just been handed all the incentive we need for that game.

I hope they get Middlesbrough away in the next round; I'm not bitter you understand :grinning: