Match Thread: Oxford United v Lincoln City | Page 29 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Oxford United v Lincoln City

I had a sneaky feeling your 78/79 seasons review might be badly timed. A fortunate 2-1 opening home victory v Tranmere mirrors that of Fleetwood …. 3 dismal defeats on the bounce since, injuries galore …. oh Christ (sorry Willie) history isn’t repeating itself is it? 😳

I must say that's occurred to me too!

Also third season in the higher division.

Having slept on the performance I’ll add a bit more to my views, FWIW.When I saw the side it was no great surprise to me given the number of injuries we have, especially looking at the subs bench. I saw the speculation in the early part of the thread about Bishop playing as a No9 & thought ‘surely not’. I was amazed when he actually started playing in that position. The whole team structure looked completely unbalanced & I seriously expected a total walloping. It was more like a pre-season game for the first half hour. Bridcutt was all over the place trying to fill too many gaps and as a result failed to protect the back four like he normally does. The midfield was totally over-run. The whole balance of the team looked wrong and the players looked as though they lacked confidence in each other and didn’t know each other. At least MA got them sorted a little bit and we went in at HT still in the game, score-wise. Second half we had a much better structure with Adelukan playing the No9 role and, more importantly, Bishop back in midfield where he belonged. I’m sure Oxford eased off a little, but still, at least we caused them some problems and looked genuinely threatening at times. Fiorini looks about ready for a start in place of McGrandles, who, although a little better, just still isn’t up to last season’s level of performance. Always going to be a tough game and we got what we deserved.
Now, the wider picture is something I feel strongly about. It was brilliant to get to the PO Final but I have held the view from the early days of the POs that they are unnecessary and put a strain on the clubs, especially those that reach the final. Not only because of extending the season for the players, not helping the injury situation by reducing their break time and potential time for operations, recovery, etc, but for the clubs’ recruitment process. Those not involved in the POs get a headstart on recruitment while the PO Final teams (& potential players to be signed) have to pause because they don’t know what league the club are going to be in with all the ramifications of that - level of player, wages, etc). LCFC’s close season was severely affected by being one of those finalists for those reasons. It hasn’t helped that several of the players we‘ve signed are below fitness levels or recovering from injury. As a result we’ve had a severely disrupted pre-season and are still nowhere near where we should be in terms of squad readiness for the season. MA’s health situation didn’t help (& thank goodness he’s come through it OK 🤞).
I hope that all those who are already doubting our season will take a step back having read this and put it all into context. Yes, we’ve had a poor start to the season but I for one fully expected a slow and disjointed start. I am not expecting us to start playing well and picking up results until at least mid to late September, possibly even a little later depending on the fitness of some players. In the meantime it is important that we stick behind the team through tough times and be patient. It will come good in a month or so, in my opinion. Up the Imps 👍👍
oxford we’re also involved in the playoffs…their break was only 9 days longer than ours…

Christ almighty, a bricky's labourer, scaffolder, groundworker etc. will be lucky to get 2 consecutive weeks off in summer, these are young fit blokes we are talking about.
Sits back and awaits this thread to deteriorate into series of posts about the teaching profession and/or Covid

Me and daughter both pinged on NHS app today. Anyone else who went to Oxford pinged? Only place we’ve been together

Me and daughter both pinged on NHS app today. Anyone else who went to Oxford pinged? Only place we’ve been together

At work today I’d heard of someone who went to Oxford getting pinged as well and there partner hadn’t and the only time they had been apart was when he went to Oxford on Saturday.

At work today I’d heard of someone who went to Oxford getting pinged as well and there partner hadn’t and the only time they had been apart was when he went to Oxford on Saturday.
Anyone else in the vicinity would have been pinged at the same time- could have been stopping at a services rather than the game. But I've not been pinged and I was at the Oxford game so who knows.

Anyone else in the vicinity would have been pinged at the same time- could have been stopping at a services rather than the game. But I've not been pinged and I was at the Oxford game so who knows.
Didn’t stop anywhere but could have been in the Vue I suppose