Match Thread: Oxford United v Lincoln City | Page 24 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Oxford United v Lincoln City

I am hopeful we can get some injuries cleared up soon and get some points on the board. No need to worry as yet but its probably going to be a fight all the way this season
Relegation scrap awaits I’m afraid OG …. woeful today bar the last 10 mins.

A few signings needed who aren’t sicknotes by deadline day fingers crossed.

I'm not going to get involved in the happy clapper v doom monger baiting as all opinions are only that. FWIW these are mine.

The club started the season needing to replace several key players from last season, having finished the season late and being put on the back foot in terms of player recruitment and recovery as a consequence.

The manager had to deal with a significant illness and player recruitment was further hit when it became clear that the division was going to be a tougher prospect in terms of the financial muscle of many clubs following the relaxation of financial caps. It has since emerged that we have already missed out on some favoured targets.

My expectations are that we will not finish as high this season as we did last time out.

For whatever reasons the club have suffered from fairly unprecedented injuries to many players and that has contributed further to a difficult and truncated pre season.

There have been some decent passages of play in the games so far but the team has looked a little light weight and out of sorts at times. This is only to be expected taking into consideration the number of early season games for a depleted squad to contend with. It is not only the issues caused by work load, but the effects of having to play people out of position and use unfavoured formations in the extreme example seen at Oxford.

The latest league defeat away at an in form Oxford is disappointing but is not cause for an over reaction.

There will be further signings to strengthen the squad in the key areas that have been identified. Many players will return to training and become available over the next month or so. The next fortnight is a great opportunity to be treated as an extension or catch up on the pre season preparation that has been missed and so badly disrupted. The Bradford game can be treated as part of the preparation process within that; it doesn't matter in the greater scheme of things.

We have a good opportunity to resume the league season strengthened, refreshed and with 41 matches, yes 41 matches remaining and only 4 points away from the top half of the table.

Reasons to be cheerful, optimistic and forward looking - many.

Last edited:
Relegation scrap awaits I’m afraid OG …. woeful today bar the last 10 mins.

A few signings needed who aren’t sicknotes by deadline day fingers crossed.

It feels like that now, but surely we have too much talent and too good a coach to be relegated??? (Hopefully).

A few things need to click on the pitch, which might be dependent on less injuries. Playing the way we do, when it clicks, we could go on a decent unbeaten run. At the moment the problem for me is the creativity, with Rogers and Johnson not replaced.

I'm not going to get involved in the happy clapper v doom monger baiting as all opinions are only that. FWIW these are mine.

The club started the season on the back foot due to losing and having to replace several key players from last season, having finished the season late and being put on the back foot in terms of player recruitment and recovery as a consequence.

The manager had to deal with a significant illness and player recruitment was further hit when it became clear that the division was going to be a tougher prospect in terms of the financial muscle of many clubs following the relaxation of financial caps. It has since emerged that we have already missed out on some favoured targets.

My expectations are that we will not finish as high this season as we did last time out.

For whatever reasons the club have suffered from fairly unprecedented injuries to many players and that has contributed further to a difficult and truncated pre season.

There have been some decent passages of play in the games so far but the team has looked a little light weight and out of sorts at times. This is only to be expected taking into consideration the number of early season games for a depleted squad to contend with. It is not only the issues caused by work load, but the effects of having to play people out of position and use unfavoured formations in the extreme example seen at Oxford.

The latest league defeat away at an in form Oxford is disappointing but is not cause for an over reaction.

There will be further signings to strengthen the squad in the key areas that have been identified. Many players will return to training and become available over the next month or so. The next fortnight is a great opportunity to be treated as an extension or catch up on the pre season preparation that has been missed and so badly disrupted. The Bradford game came be treated as part of the preparation process within that; it doesn't matter in the greater scheme of things.

We have a good opportunity to resume the league season strengthened, refreshed and with 41 matches, yes 41 matches remaining and only 4 points away from the top half of the table.

Reasons to be cheerful, optimistic and forward looking - many.
I don't always agree with you Hull but that is spot on for me.Well said

If the edun tj and hopper are fit the whole teams a different proposition. It seems like a few think edun will go ? If true I would say Swansea maybe

I don’t care if he goes as long as it’s seven figures and finances another 4 players in the door - direct replacement, a winger, a goalkeeper and a striker

I see Lincoln United lost 7-0 away today, so not the best of Saturdays for Lincoln football!!

I don't expect to replicate last season. Staying at this level will do me for the moment. But I hope we can challenge again in due course