Match Thread: Notts County v Lincoln City | Page 27 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Notts County v Lincoln City

so, is it the way that we set up [cautious] that allows these teams to play well against us? they must start the game with fragilities, trepidation, 'what are the top of the league team going to do to us'. then we don't dominate midfield, we hardly threaten the keeper, they realise they aren't going to get hammered, and their confidence grows. it is like top team or bottom team - we level the game out and get into a scrappy dogfight, because we are a team with dna to be the scrapper, the underdog.

Remember what happened at Tranmere? Best 45 minutes of football I'd seen from a Lincoln side in years. And then...

Well presumably because he's perceived as a record signing on top wages so expectations naturally higher.
And I'll keep cheering him on but he hasnt yet lived up to those expectations, whether they were realistic or not

It was two points dropped ? and he's still the best penalty taker we've got. As for expectations, I suspect anything less than 30 goals would be insufficient. There are another 9 outfield players on the pitch when we don't win, you know.

Remember what happened at Tranmere? Best 45 minutes of football I'd seen from a Lincoln side in years. And then...
absolutely. thinking back to around then, we were playing more fluently, and for longer periods... notts [h], exeter [a], i thought we also dominated the cheltenham away game.
so what's happened since...no coincidence that pett was playing in central midfield in all of those games, and right on top of his game?

absolutely. thinking back to around then, we were playing more fluently, and for longer periods... notts [h], exeter [a], i thought we also dominated the cheltenham away game.
so what's happened since...no coincidence that pett was playing in central midfield in all of those games, and right on top of his game?

Pett was playing well but I think his form fell off. No idea why.
Summer / autumn pitches helped us.
Teams who don't expect to win against us have found a way not to lose, also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's face it, we play a very defensive game. One up top with a deep-sitting mid-field. It has been very effective so far. It isn't always great to watch.

I have an ongoing discussion with Imp79 about this and we both agree that, occasionally, it might be worth playing 2 up top and trying to put weaker teams to the sword. But I don't see that ever happening.

On another point, am I right that Rowe was moved out wide? Why on earth would you do that with a player who has just scored 3 goals in 2 games playing centrally in the link role?
Indeed, he was moved to the right, to fit McCartan in behind Akinde. I assume all because Bolger was injured, meaning Bossie had to go back into defence. It didn't work.

Only read the last 2 or 3 pages of this thread(!) but for me the disappointing part was we didn't really work their keeper, don't remember him making a save? Smith actually had a few, even if most were straight forward.
Agree were not seeing Freck arriving in the box to support much at all, maybe O'Hara's role when eh beds in with Bossie as DM.
We had lots of corners, but as I've said before I don't think we're as strong in the air since Waterfall/Raggett left (see Waterfalls goal v Wolves), hopefully Bolger will improve that., so didn't look threatening.
As for the penalty, I thought I saw a World Cup player miss the goal by considerable distance last week, so it happens. I think John is suffering from the expectation. In the top division many times you hear of record signings struggling with this, I think this is L2 version of it. Not sure what the answer is

I remember someone (I think Luke) calling really early that Akinde would get criticism. It's the nature of how he plays. He'll score plenty of goals, be difficult to play against and make good runs but he won't play like Bradley Wood or Harry Anderson which often seems to be 'valued' more by supporters, regardless of effectiveness.

Just watched the 10 minute highlights package and noticed/ counted 12 passes to set up Bruno’s goal and 7 in the lead up to our penalty. We’re certainly no longer just long ball are we. It also confirmed how poor the ref was, theirs was a very harsh pen.( Stead dived) and how many times were we climbed on with no free kick given or decision given against us!

On a slightly different tack, did anyone get any pictures of the away area with the, ahem, inflatables??

Only read the last 2 or 3 pages of this thread(!) but for me the disappointing part was we didn't really work their keeper, don't remember him making a save? Smith actually had a few, even if most were straight forward.
Agree were not seeing Freck arriving in the box to support much at all, maybe O'Hara's role when eh beds in with Bossie as DM.
We had lots of corners, but as I've said before I don't think we're as strong in the air since Waterfall/Raggett left (see Waterfalls goal v Wolves), hopefully Bolger will improve that., so didn't look threatening.
As for the penalty, I thought I saw a World Cup player miss the goal by considerable distance last week, so it happens. I think John is suffering from the expectation. In the top division many times you hear of record signings struggling with this, I think this is L2 version of it. Not sure what the answer is

Worked their keeper for Bruno`s goal.......he hit the deck like a bag of cement.