Match Thread: Northampton Town v Lincoln City | Page 20 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Northampton Town v Lincoln City

A great three points but luck was on our side today. Its important to take on board what Danny said after the game about a reality check. I expect us to play a lot better in front of our own crowd next Saturday. My biggest concern is Akinde he just doesn't look right to me. His record speaks for itself and I have watched the recordings of his goals and he looks unplayable on some of them. But have we signed his twin brother? Often players have a great few seasons then get injured and never recapture their previous form, I hope this is not the case with Akinde.
I hope I am totally wrong about him and when he scores an hatrick next Saturday I will come on here and admit that I know nothing about football. I really hope I have to do that but have a bad feeling that I won't have to.

[QUOTE"]An away win against Northampton is a great result. A clean sheet is a great result. There is much to improve upon and none of the negatives are structural, they are tactical and amendable and I am sure our Dynamic Duo will be able to assess and amend.[/QUOTE]

Exactly this ⬆️⬆️⬆️

Excellent result - clean sheet - good away support - but not keen on 3 at the back - needed to strengthen midfield in terms of numbers as we were getting over-run - interesting comment from Danny about Ellis Chapman ...'he would have played had he been fit'...as well as or in place of?

I hope I am totally wrong about him and when he scores an hatrick next Saturday I will come on here and admit that I know nothing about football. I really hope I have to do that but have a bad feeling that I won't have to.

Way to stake your reputation on an event that's pretty unlikely to happen.

It's not like Akinde has been scoring 138 goals a season and is already 3 off his average return by not netting 3 vs Northampton.

It's easy to forget he had only competed half the amount of minutes that someone like Green had during pre-season and probably is just getting to grips with whats expected of him in the system.

Also harsh to compare his contribution to Rheady. They're not fulfilling the same role and comparing like for like will only see Akinde coming off second best.

Way to stake your reputation on an event that's pretty unlikely to happen.

It's not like Akinde has been scoring 138 goals a season and is already 3 off his average return by not netting 3 vs Northampton.

It's easy to forget he had only competed half the amount of minutes that someone like Green had during pre-season and probably is just getting to grips with whats expected of him in the system.

Also harsh to compare his contribution to Rheady. They're not fulfilling the same role and comparing like for like will only see Akinde coming off second best.
Did he not get any minutes whilst training at Barnet? Thought he was better yesterday than at Scunny.Needs a goal and i think he will be fine?

As I'm an expat I hardly see a game to comment on one, but I've been in London the last couple of days and travelled up to Northampton.

To prove how out of touch I am I was shocked at how much I had to pay for a ticket in what I believe was the stand where the £10m went missing. I'm more used to the Spanish 2nd Division where the admission price is a lot lower.

Frankly, City could have been three down in the first 12 minutes due to horrendous defending by Toffolo and Waterfall. In the first half alone Vickers saved City four times. The defence looked shambolic, midfield offered next to nothing so Green and Akinde were just chasing lost causes. Their right winger, Hoskins, had a field day.

I was talking to some Northampton fans at half time and they reckoned they would struggle to score goals this season. It looked that way in the first half, but to be fair it did in the second too.

Nevertheless their keeper was more in danger of sunburn than he was from the City attack.

After probably the only decent bit of play by the Imps resulted in the well worked and well taken goal, a measure of control was exerted and Northampton didn't threaten. I was surprised that they moved their danger man Hoskins from the wing to the centre. Unlike some posters I thought he was their best player by far, which was echoed by the Northampton fans near me.

Having been under the impression that City had got their defensive problems sorted out, it was panic stations in the last ten minutes and Northampton should have got that last minute equaliser which was the least they deserved. You would think they'd be amongst the better sides in the division on that showing.

On the positive side, that Andrade, Anderson and Rhead can be brought on as subs should mean that City have a potent attack.

There's an expression they use a lot in Spain which roughly would translate as "Lincoln won by doing nothing". It's usually meant as an insult but it bodes well.

I was hoping to see better from such once-in-a-long-time opportunity but I'm glad I went.

Agree about Hoskins, how he hasn’t come away with at least an assist I don’t know.

Can't add much to the game comments. On the formation, DC said that Ellis would have played if he had been fit, so I'm wondering if that would have meant a different formation actually. Can't see him playing only Freck & Ellis in midfield so seems likely.
Very pointed interview from DC telling the fans not to get ahead of ourselves
I know part of the ground is not finished but if we built a new stadium and it turned out like Sixfields well would be a disaster.
Plus side out of the carpark, & on the Road and home before 7

Agree about Hoskins, how he hasn’t come away with at least an assist I don’t know.

I thought I'd have a look at what Northampton fans actually think about Hoskins and it turns out, from their forum at least, that most of them don't rate him.

That's the problem with judging players from a brief look at them. He looked quality to me, but there's no way so many people who see him regularly can be wrong.

It is a tidy enough ground but small, and I reckon the kids on the hill had a better view than me stuck on the far side of the away end!

Didn’t go so can’t comment in detail but that’s an excellent result however it came about. We’re clearly trying to change the way we play so it’s bound to take time to gel.

Interesting comments post-match from DC. Hopefully the majority of our fans can get behind that, but judging by some of the comments on here we’re expecting the moon on a stick, to be delivered yesterday.

Thought Akinde improved as the game went on... looks like the kind of player who excels when facing goal on the shoulder or beyond of the defender... rather than holding the ball up like Rhead... and didnt really get that service. Both very big but different players.

I stand by my comments about Akinde.But totally agree that he shouldn't be compared to Rhead .I was only being flippant when I said if he scored 3 on Saturday I would come on here and say I would admit that I knew nothing about football. If he has a good game scores or helps create a goal I will feel a lot happier about him. But he has been bought here to score the goals we didn't score last season. Whether it is fair or not he will be judged on that at the end of thee season

Excellent result - clean sheet - good away support - but not keen on 3 at the back - needed to strengthen midfield in terms of numbers as we were getting over-run - interesting comment from Danny about Ellis Chapman ...'he would have played had he been fit'...as well as or in place of?
Not sure - maybe we just went a bit too gung-ho at the start? Perhaps we should have started with the WBs alongside the three CBs (532), then moved forward as and when (352). Flexibility is the key & that flexibility keeps us strong at the back, when necessary, then stronger in the midfield when going forward. Of course we could be outnumbered in midfield?

Wonder if O'Connor will come into to partner Freck with Bozzy just behind and either Waterfall or Wilson dropping out for next week?
Hortin and Thommo said we were getting overrun in midfield a fair bit.
O'Connor is bound to play in the practice game on Tuesday as he needs minutes.
With the players I'm not sure what our best formation at the mo.

After the Waterfall poor backpass he was slagged off with a comment about completing his move to Shrewsbury. Someone ITK or just an idiot?

iFollow highlights have Radio Lincs commentary included. Not sure if it works!

Not sure - maybe we just went a bit too gung-ho at the start? Perhaps we should have started with the WBs alongside the three CBs (532), then moved forward as and when (352). Flexibility is the key & that flexibility keeps us strong at the back, when necessary, then stronger in the midfield when going forward. Of course we could be outnumbered in midfield?

Think Eardley only got forward only once in the first half?

Did he not get any minutes whilst training at Barnet? Thought he was better yesterday than at Scunny.Needs a goal and i think he will be fine?

I think we all know the difference between 'fit by most standards' and 'Cowley fit'! Also, they may have had to hold back on hard training in the recent heat. Big John will get there and become a force to be reckoned with - remember Matt Green's slow start last year?