Match Thread: Northampton Town v Lincoln City | Page 18 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Northampton Town v Lincoln City

Could not get to the match today but listened on radio Lincolnshire. Judging by the commentary, when they weren't having a boys chat about something irrelevant to the actual match, it sounded a poor performance with Vickers saving the day. I know it is an old cliche but the best teams win when they play badly. Let's hope this applies to us and we improve and learn from this moving forwards

Also interesting the three changes were all forward players, especially as I think the midfield two were knackered..

Just back so not read thread. Initial thoughts are 3 well stolen points. Scored from our only real bit of open play. Just never really put our foot on the ball and worked our way forward. Vickers was awesome and made some terrific blocks. Overall very much work in progress but the individual quality is there to see. UTI

Yeah that wasn't great but we got the goal with our one outstanding chance and Vickers kept them out. The last one on one felt like a nailed on goal, I don't understand how one ball over the top caught us out so much.

My main reservation about the system is not the defensive issues (I think we can iron them out as we get used to it) but having freck and bostwick as a two in midfield. Felt outmatched and they had so much ground to cover, Bozzy was knackered at the end I think. Woodyard would work in that system dare I say it. Mccartan so far forward that it's more of a 3-4-1-2.
As I and others have been saying, Bossie and Freck cannot do the Woodyard role or cover the ground he could for a whole game. O'Connor won't be able to either. I think we need a high intensity/energy midfielder in there. Maybe young Ellis can do it but if not we may need another signing.

What a performance from Josh Vickers, he saved his team mates and made sure we kept the three points. Woeful at the back first half, so susceptible to their balls over the top and being run at by their wingers and midfield.

A real lack of ideas for going forward, no shots on target, or saves from their keeper. The goal was an easy header from a sublime Eardley cross. Their Matt Crooks (22) was the best outfield player by a country mile.

Still 3 points are what we came for, and what we got. But is was basically due to some amazing goal keeping from Vickers, some poor finishing from Northampton, and a decent chunk of luck.

Thanks for posting, Waterfall ought to be buying Vickers a big drink for that horrendous pass back. Green took his goal well and has been said Vickers made some good saves on numerous occasions.

1st game of season- 3 points. For today that is all that matters

We were battled hard in very hot weather- Bossie played 9-0 minutes in his first full competitive match since injury but looked out on his a*se by the end.

Defensively we looked a little fragile today- Toffolo looked off the pace and Waterfall/Wharton/Wilson had too many balls over their heads- only Vickers was defiant (even if his distribution remains poor)

Didn't create too much through midfield today but the team are still gelling and 3 points in 3 points

However, they will have been playing to a game plan which with be different next weekend (for the 1st home game)

Away end was noisy today and I think the players/management appreciated the support!

Today probably was one of those results that isn't as appreciated at this point in the season.

I mean, if we'd gone there after 10 games and put in what you'd call and 'away' performance and got out there with a 1-0 win then it would have probably felt a bit better. First game of the season, you never quite know where you're at and gut feeling is that every supporter up and down the country look for a performance to kick start the season.

Not suggesting it hasn't been appreciated on here to elsewhere (I've not read the thread).

Read the Cobbler's forum, though, and their comments don't necessarily make it sound as backs to the wall at times as it came across.

http://www.smfserver.com/forums/thehotelend/index.php?topic=17561.0

1st game of season- 3 points. For today that is all that matters

We were battled hard in very hot weather- Bossie played 9-0 minutes in his first full competitive match since injury but looked out on his a*se by the end.

Defensively we looked a little fragile today- Toffolo looked off the pace and Waterfall/Wharton/Wilson had too many balls over their heads- only Vickers was defiant (even if his distribution remains poor)

Didn't create too much through midfield today but the team are still gelling and 3 points in 3 points

However, they will have been playing to a game plan which with be different next weekend (for the 1st home game)

Away end was noisy today and I think the players/management appreciated the support!

Spot on although the defence did do a lot better after Vickers went down late in the first half. After we scored we seemed to invite pressure a bit but to be fair looked mostly comfortable until 90+4 when we seemed to go to sleep. We’ll improve, 3 very very good points today