Match Thread: Northampton Town v Lincoln City | Page 17 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Northampton Town v Lincoln City

Not sure when we won away on the opening day last?
Cardiff away in 1991 but struggling after that.
Our first win at sixfields too

Woking 2016/17
Preston NE 1995/96

To name a couple off the top of my head. One NL and one FL. The 95/96 one, much against the run of play, saw a very poor league winless streak, until an away win in November on a Tuesday night against Mansfield. That run saw the demise of two managers. Ellis and Wicks.

Woking 2016/17
Preston NE 1995/96

To name a couple off the top of my head. One NL and one FL. The 95/96 one, much against the run of play, saw a very poor league winless streak, until an away win in November on a Tuesday night against Mansfield. That run saw the demise of two managers. Ellis and Wicks.
Was at the Preston game, Putnam and West, not many...
Was thinking league games.

Very poor first twenty, ball got in behind us far too easily and we made some bad decisions with the balk at the back. Didn’t get much better while first half but rallied a little 40-45th min. Vickers made some superb one on one stops.

Second half we grab a goal, great ball from Eardley and Green could not miss. We then defended much better, Wharton stepping things up in particular. But they then get in at the end again, but once again Vickers did brilliantly.

Would argue they should have done better with some of their chances, Vickers stopped 5 one on ones, plus made 3 or 4 comfortable stops they should have done better with. Where as I don’t think their keeper made a save.

We need to be much better, and I’m not sure about the formation at all. However, Green, Wharton, Eardley and Bostwick did enough to come out with some credit, and Vickers obviously outstanding. Feel the rest all need to do better, perhaps harsh on McCartan who worked hard, or we need a better system.

Yeah that wasn't great but we got the goal with our one outstanding chance and Vickers kept them out. The last one on one felt like a nailed on goal, I don't understand how one ball over the top caught us out so much.

My main reservation about the system is not the defensive issues (I think we can iron them out as we get used to it) but having freck and bostwick as a two in midfield. Felt outmatched and they had so much ground to cover, Bozzy was knackered at the end I think. Woodyard would work in that system dare I say it. Mccartan so far forward that it's more of a 3-4-1-2.

Yeah that wasn't great but we got the goal with our one outstanding chance and Vickers kept them out. The last one on one felt like a nailed on goal, I don't understand how one ball over the top caught us out so much.

My main reservation about the system is not the defensive issues (I think we can iron them out as we get used to it) but having freck and bostwick as a two in midfield. Felt outmatched and they had so much ground to cover, Bozzy was knackered at the end I think. Woodyard would work in that system dare I say it. Mccartan so far forward that it's more of a 3-4-1-2.

Very true. We were seriously stretched at times, players far too clustered. You saw Nothampton ping one across the pitch and there were no Lincoln players anywhere to be seen.

I said it a few weeks back - this system does not suit our level. Especially so when we continue to launch it from the back and ignore the midfield.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes McCarton was a third forward at times. And agree about two in the middle, don’t think Freck has legs for it.

Just got back.

3 at the back didn't work today, far too many simple balls that got in behind us. We didn't play much football at all either but we finished the one golden chance we made, created by Eardley's vision and delivery. Toffolo the only player really bombing forward to support the front 3.

Several players probably deserve to be handing their win bonus over to Josh this evening because he's won it for us, no question because he made at least 3 one on ones and another fine double save in the first half.

Thought Northampton's movement was excellent up front but when they went a goal down they reminded me of the Imps in days gone by, they just didn't really seem to believe they were going to peg us back. Perhaps a result of all the defeats they suffered last year?

3 at the back, almost exclusively route one and a smash and grab 3 points, Keef would be smiling benevolently down from on high saying "That's my boys..."