Match Thread: Northampton Town v Lincoln City | Page 23 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Northampton Town v Lincoln City

I think what you get is evolution of styles and for sometime now tiki taka football has been the most successful. but teams eventually wise up and learn to combat it so a new style emerges from someone and that becomes successful. Right now you have Manchester City evolving the high press and quick pass football.

Well, that's very disappointing. I'm just not going to go on Saturday if we're still "Long-ball Lincoln".

If you are the bloke with the "whiney" overly loud voice, who sits behind me, and who purports to know everything about football........ but doesn't....... please stick to your promise!

I think I can guarantee right now that whoever gets promoted from L2 this season won't be playing tikka-takka Spanish-style football or anything close to it.

But I shall follow Brendan Bradley's managerial career where he ruthlessly instigates "Total Football" in L2 with real interest!

Luton and Accrington seemed to employ it and I wonder where they finished.......

Luton and Accrington seemed to employ it and I wonder where they finished.......

But they didn't. They are nothing like Barcelona or the national Spanish team. The fact that I have to state that persuades me you know the square root of nothing about football. No offence.

I think you probably haven't fully read the messages that led to my post, your sledgehammer sarcasm nothwithstanding.

Kickingimp seemed to suggest that Spanish type football was not "results based" football. My initial post was just to try and correct that impression seeing as they dominated international football for a while and continue to dominate European club football.

No team in Spain currently plays tiki taka although its architect has just taken his team through the most successful season in English top flight history (sorry to have to re-state this but it looks like I need to batter this point in with a mallet).

As you go further down the leagues it's necessary to adapt any style of play to the players' limitations, as is the case anywhere. But there are a wide variety of styles as Rasenimp has pointed out and everyone didn't need to play like Wycombe to get some success.

But when we played Wycombe away they played an integrated passing game. At SB they came for a point and got it.

I don't think you really understand how Wycombe achieved promotion so the rest of your posts are moot.

But they didn't. They are nothing like Barcelona or the national Spanish team. The fact that I have to state that persuades me you know the square root of nothing about football. No offence.

From what I saw of them they both played a considerably more expansive game than City. You obviously had your mouth working more than your eyes. Perhaps that proves that you and your hollow humour know even less about football than most on here.

Last edited:
From what I saw of them they both played a considerably more expensive game than City. You obviously hsd your mouth wirking more than your eyes. Perhaps that proves that you and your hollow humour know even less about football than most on here.

But that's not what you said. Changing the argument because you've been called on it is a bit rubbish. You said;

"Luton and Accrington seemed to employ it and I wonder where they finished......."

At least own what you said rather than trying to weasel out of it. Very poor stuff.

But that's not what you said. Changing the argument because you've been called on it is a bit rubbish. You said;

"Luton and Accrington seemed to employ it and I wonder where they finished......."

At least own what you said rather than trying to weasel out of it. Very poor stuff.

Not sure which version you don't understand. I clearly stated, (with spelling mistakes - in my second post - now corrected) that Luton and Accrington played a more expansive game than City. They both romped away with promotion.

I sincerely hope City use a more expansive passing game but mix 'n' match when required. There is a place for long-ball to a degree but teams which employ the passing game are usually more successful.

Danny Cowley has already stated that the team became one-dimensional and the management team intend to address that.

Yep, only highlights but they were from individual errors rather than ‘the system’.

Saw the game live on i-Follow & for the first 20 mins or so we struggled defensively. Austin obviously rumbled our 3 at the back formation as they were putting balls into the space behind our WBs. If it hadn't been for Vickers and their strikers being wasteful we could very easily have been two or three down after 30 mins. Mind you, didn't help with the Waterfall back-pass.

Not sure which version you don't understand. I clearly stated, (with spelling mistakes - in my second post - now corrected) that Luton and Accrington played a more expansive game than City. They both romped away with promotion.

I sincerely hope City use a more expansive passing game but mix 'n' match when required. There is a place for long-ball to a degree but teams which employ the passing game are usually more successful.

Danny Cowley has already stated that the team became one-dimensional and the management team intend to address that.

You replied to my post that was specifically about tikka-takka saying Luton and Accrington used this style. Which, as I stated, they really didn't. You then morphed that into "A more expansice style".

As it happens, I can agree with your completely revised point. Of course we shoudl "mix it up", or however you want to put it..