Match Thread: Northampton Town v Lincoln City | Page 21 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Northampton Town v Lincoln City

iFollow highlights have Radio Lincs commentary included. Not sure if it works!

With the extended highlights last season we got an after the fact polished commentary, added to match the video. I thought it was ok.

I did feel that the radio lincs commentary was sometimes a split second behind the action. Enjoyed having them on the live video though, not sure what happened at half time, it was mostly drowned out by the grounds PA system.

I wasn’t at the game however we are going to need a few smash and grabs along the way. I fancy Northampton to trouble the top 7, so in the scheme of things it’s a good start with improvement to be had. Roll on Swindon.

Looking at the highlights, their chances came via direct balls down the centre of the pitch.

yes... or individual errors. I thought they looked a pretty average side. We were very comfortable defending when men were behind the ball, which was pretty much all game.

I think we all know the difference between 'fit by most standards' and 'Cowley fit'! Also, they may have had to hold back on hard training in the recent heat. Big John will get there and become a force to be reckoned with - remember Matt Green's slow start last year?

There was one moment in the first half, a through ball over the top. He shrugged off his marker with ease and just failed to bring the ball under control as it ran off his toe (it was a hard take to be fair). That showed his lack of match fitness to me, his frustration that he couldn't bring it under showed also that he expected to take it, but it was a small sign of what we might expect when he's fit, settled in and firing on all cylinders...

There was one moment in the first half, a through ball over the top. He shrugged off his marker with ease and just failed to bring the ball under control as it ran off his toe (it was a hard take to be fair). That showed his lack of match fitness to me, his frustration that he couldn't bring it under showed also that he expected to take it, but it was a small sign of what we might expect when he's fit, settled in and firing on all cylinders...

i might ask Matt the Barnet blogger how Barnet played big john to get a different view on the matter.
He would maybe benefit from playing a little deeper picking up knockdowns from Rheady.He is not a like for like target man that can be interchanged with Rheady(little heading ability) THEY COULD PLAY TOGETHER
Yesterday quality ball to the front players was totally lacking,they were playing on scraps.
early days but his record for goals is there...... we just need to unlock the correct process to get him firing.

I think Rheady's heading is brilliant...in respect of the number of balls he wins when jumping and the nods on to others. Rhead & Akinde together? If formation allows, why not? Oh and with all the competition up front now, maybe this will be an even better season for Matt Rhead.

Looking at the highlights, their chances came via direct balls down the centre of the pitch.

Having seen the (brief) highlights, I couldn't agree more. And to think some Northampton fans had the nerve to accuse us of being long ball! The only time they got near our goal appeared to be from a big hoof over the top or an error by one of our defenders, of which there were two horrific ones at least.

Did i hear/understand DC correctly after the game; they had a player on the bench that went for £4 million quid two.windows ago?

Having seen the (brief) highlights, I couldn't agree more. And to think some Northampton fans had the nerve to accuse us of being long ball! The only time they got near our goal appeared to be from a big hoof over the top or an error by one of our defenders, of which there were two horrific ones at least.

I noticed that too. Back in the KA days that kind of thing was Morgan's responsilility, playing sweeper between the 2 big uns. I wonder if we'll evolve into that?

Surprised no one has mentioned the wind, which was blowing end to end - could have been a factor in that Akinde incident you mention. And also a factor that made the long ball difficult to judge in our defensive errors

I noticed that too. Back in the KA days that kind of thing was Morgan's responsilility, playing sweeper between the 2 big uns. I wonder if we'll evolve into that?
Waterfall was playing centrally, and is more kick it and head it than sweeper, and lacks pace. Bostwick would be better in that position, either sweeping behind, or in front. Better football brain/anticipation than waterfall too imo.

Yep, only highlights but they were from individual errors rather than ‘the system’.

I think that was partly the case, but some individual errors came from us knocking it about across the back (I'd say partly related to system/style of play) and from communication issues across the back three where I think there was a bit of confusion as to who was picking up who. Certainly the ball lofted between Wharton and toffolo and in particular the ball behind toffolo were causing us problems, with Toffolo often way way up the field.

If it's the way we're planning to play I think we can iron some of it out with it being early days but some of their joy was definitely related to the space in behind our wing backs and a bit of confusion related to our system, I think.

Watched Akinde play a few times for Barnet as mate supports them. He is so much better with the ball to his feet or round the side but we mostly just put it to his head with 1 or 0 players around him. Hopefully this will get better as the team work each other out and the Cowleys figure out the system that gets the most out of them. Can't wait to see a match fit confident Akinde!