Match Thread: Northampton Town v Lincoln City | Page 25 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Northampton Town v Lincoln City

This game demonstrated why our team had to evolve the playing style to compete at the top of League 1. Northampton had a playing style that reminded me of our team in the National League. Our teams that took the field in the National League and League 2 were just what we needed at the time and they provided us with amazing memories. Northampton demonstrated why lumping the ball up towards big guys in the box will only get you so far, especially if that tactic comes up against a defence that bravely stands firm as ours did today. Monstma was on the receiving end of some dreadful rough treatment today and I was impressed by how he handled himself, making sure he didn't retaliate and stayed on the field.

We should be used to watching similar tactics to Northampton‘s style today. I should say we have played pretty similar in most of my 45 plus years watching the Imps. Remember how we used to love opposition fans and managers complaining about KA’s tactics, DC’s tactics, John Beck’s tactics and they were the successful ones let’s not mention the dross we endured from managers during the 5 years of purgatory.
Northampton sneaked promotion after finishing 7th in a curtailed season and their best player is now an Imp ( maybe eventually!) they are pretty skint and dont have many ball playing skill full players and employ a pretty poor manager with mainly League 2 players.
I for one feel their pain and it’s all part of football and there’s no set way of playing football. It’s the contrasts that makes football fascinating and brilliant.

I think it was more the way he burst past two players through the inside right position, followed by a sparkling run with a couple of step overs, feint of the shoulder and a decent shot which brought a smart save from the keeper.

Centre backs don't do that, more specifically Lincoln City centre backs don't do that.
Bolger might beg to differ!

We should be used to watching similar tactics to Northampton‘s style today. I should say we have played pretty similar in most of my 45 plus years watching the Imps. Remember how we used to love opposition fans and managers complaining about KA’s tactics, DC’s tactics, John Beck’s tactics and they were the successful ones let’s not mention the dross we endured from managers during the 5 years of purgatory.
Northampton sneaked promotion after finishing 7th in a curtailed season and their best player is now an Imp ( maybe eventually!) they are pretty skint and dont have many ball playing skill full players and employ a pretty poor manager with mainly League 2 players.
I for one feel their pain and it’s all part of football and there’s no set way of playing football. It’s the contrasts that makes football fascinating and brilliant.
Spot on mate!

I think the Cowley teams were a bit more subtle than Northampton, though. Certainly more skilled.
Agreed. Northampton were a very basic direct side even last season. We've obviously been direct in the past, but nothing like Northampton have been under Curle - we still had some excellent wing play with Habergham/Hawkridge, Eardley/Anderson, Toffolo/Andrade and very obviously well coached patterns of play.

That said, that sort of style will still pick up points against sides around them (and maybe even us later in the season!) so I think they'll go through phases of ticking over but also losing a few on the spin but long term it's not something that'll keep you in L1. Wycombe the obvious anomaly but even then, they had some fairly decent loan players.

Northampton lost a fair few of their better players as well - Goode, Morton, Oliver and one or two others albeit only Goode has gone up a division.

i don't think we played any better or worse than in recent weeks when we lost. The team play a certain system, consistently every game. We were up against better teams when we lost. Try as we might, we couldnt break them down. Northampton weren't all that.

Seem to remember Frank Large was their 'barn storming' centre forward who got them to the old First Division remarkably.
I think Frank Large was sold by the Cobblers 3 times at one stage he was highlighted while playing for Leicester by Jimmy Hill on match of the day !

I think Frank Large was sold by the Cobblers 3 times at one stage he was highlighted while playing for Leicester by Jimmy Hill on match of the day !
Frank Large played for Leicester 1967/68 but Jimmy Hill didn't join Match of the Day until 1973. Maybe this was on a London Weekend programme?

Couldn't watch the match yesterday... I always seem to miss the good ones, but who cares a very good 3 points.

Some excellent finishes from the highlights as well, Johnson's first was a particular delight.

I think it was more the way he burst past two players through the inside right position, followed by a sparkling run with a couple of step overs, feint of the shoulder and a decent shot which brought a smart save from the keeper.

Centre backs don't do that, more specifically Lincoln City centre backs don't do that.
the
Yes , when I saw his movement, that step over and the way he shaped his body for the shot , i must admit I was thinking - hmmm, why don't we try him as striker

P.s. I am only half-joking about this

By the way, I watched the Shrewsbury and Sunderland home games live (0-1 and 0-4) but could not watch the Shrewsbury and Northampton away games (4-1 and 4-0).

I am now inviting offers to stop me watching again this season.
No Burton & Hull for you then - we need the points 🤣😂

This is the reply I received last night from a Northampton fan I know. I must say that he attends games dressed all in purple, enough said.
We were extremely poor Steve, and deserved to get well beat. However, a couple of your players should be ashamed of themselves, a disgrace to the game. Hopper was one, and I think the other was your number 4. Fell to the floor like flies, screaming in pain if a Cobblers player was within a foot of them. Absolutely disgusting and cheap tactics to get an opponent booked or sent off. They should be fined and banned from the game.

Last edited:
This is the reply I received last night from a Northampton fan I know. I must say that he attends games dressed all in purple, enough said. Jason Rodhouse
We were extremely poor Steve, and deserved to get well beat. However, a couple of your players should be ashamed of themselves, a disgrace to the game. Hopper was one, and I think the other was your number 4. Fell to the floor like flies, screaming in pain if a Cobblers player was within a foot of them. Absolutely disgusting and cheap tactics to get an opponent booked or sent off. They should be fined and banned from the game.
He needs to see the pic at #414!!

This is the reply I received last night from a Northampton fan I know. I must say that he attends games dressed all in purple, enough said. Jason Rodhouse

tragic

I know we're biased sometimes but that's a new level. New version of the Northampton Saints

Lordy! Was that before he'd had chance to watch the incidents back?

So a player should be fined and banned from the game for having his cheekbone smashed and having blood all down his front?

Everyone who knows me will be aware of my attitude towards swearing on this site, but what a....

Last edited: