Match Thread: Mansfield Town v Lincoln City | Page 16 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Mansfield Town v Lincoln City

Wow - what a performance - especially the first half. Really highlighted the recruitment and work that MA and the team have done putting this squad together and developing their style of play when you look at the changes made to the team tonight. Even young Cann coming on at the end didn’t look out of place (I know he was only on for a few minutes but it was a great intro for him). Great to see Archibald & Soule. One thing it did highlight for me was the difference between the two teams and clubs. The players, the management, the board and they way they all operate to me showed how far we have come and are developing (& how far Mansfailed have gone in the other direction). When you also think back to the Bradford game it highlights the difference between L1 & L2 and shows that we are heading in the right direction. As MA would say, more work to be done and we’re nowhere near where he wants us to be, but as each week comes and goes I grow ever more hopeful that we can really achieve something amazing. Keep it coming MA and everyone at the club. 👏👏
It's an interesting point. I know Bradford and Mansfield made changes, as we did aswell, but we pretty resoundingly beat them both.

Also, if you consider how disjointed we looked during some of pre-season with the fringe players playing, to then go out last night and seemingly put in such a good performance shows the progress being made over the last couple of months.

It's an interesting point. I know Bradford and Mansfield made changes, as we did aswell, but we pretty resoundingly beat them both.

Also, if you consider how disjointed we looked during some of pre-season with the fringe players playing, to then go out last night and seemingly put in such a good performance shows the progress being made over the last couple of months.

I really don't know what's gone wrong at Mansfield but we've gone from being pretty much on a par with them just over a season ago to a place where I wouldn't swap our reserves for their first team.

I really don't know what's gone wrong at Mansfield but we've gone from being pretty much on a par with them just over a season ago to a place where I wouldn't swap our reserves for their first team.

Perhaps the money has run out? Or, at least, the vast sums the Radfords were putting in each year is no longer available? They spent £2.5 million to get out of the Conference, for example.

Perhaps the money has run out? Or, at least, the vast sums the Radfords were putting in each year is no longer available? They spent £2.5 million to get out of the Conference, for example.
They've had quite a high squad turnover, not as much as us but also think they are limited to a wage cap of £1.5 million so the money advantage won't be as helpful as it once was for them.

Poor succession planning for their management replacements I suspect, something we know all about in our history...

Chopping and changing managers is one of them, and chopping and changing the type of manager, which we were arguably guilty of pre-2016.

After promotion they went from Paul Cox, an experienced, direct manager with a big budget to a rookie manager, 'football playing' manager in Adam Murray who had his budget cut (hence Rhead ending up here). Jumped back to a direct, high spending manager when the budget was increased (Evans), cut the budget again for a footballing manager (Flitcroft) and now have Coughlan, another direct manager.

They've got so much money they just put a plaster over issues rather than have targeted and planned spending, something you'd argue we've been particularly good at since 2016...

They've had quite a high squad turnover, not as much as us but also think they are limited to a wage cap of £1.5 million so the money advantage won't be as helpful as it once was for them.
They signed a few players quite early so I think they've got around that in part for the next season or two but it'll certainly start to pinch next season as contracts start expiring.

It is an odd set up at Mansfield. They seem to lurch between throwing money at the squad, take a year off when it doesn't work and then throw some more money at it. It does seem very scatter gun and as others have said I agree there doesn't seem to be a clearly defined plan.

Nicky Maynard and James Perch both played a part last night and I should imagine both are very well payed. I would guess they have a high end budget for a League 2 team and most likely have had for every season since the Radfords took over.

It’s called due diligence. Something our board have become really good at. Long may it last. At Mansfield you have the Radfords. Need I say more 😳🙈😱

Sounds like Radfords were there last night. Local MP said he met with owners and watched the match (charming!). He has promised to fight the EFL corner in coming days.
I'll avoid any politics...

Sounds like a good game last night. I was going to watch it but started vomiting and feeling dizzy when I got home from work. Fell alseep around 7pm and woke this morning to find we'd won. Dr says I've got Vertigo so I'm off work for a few days. When the tablets kick in I should be able to watch a re-run.
Can't wait.