Match Thread: Lincoln City v Wycombe Wanderers | Page 14 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Wycombe Wanderers

Sam's crossing has been disappointing for most of the season, usually too close to the keeper to cause any problems. Billy Knott wasted every set piece through trying to float them gently on the breeze, but things have been little better since. Sam was effective last season, but he has just three assists this season and has not scored a single goal in 40 appearances. That is a poor return from a lot of set pieces, and it is time to let someone else to have a go. If you always do what you always did...
re: floating crosses, you are right about knott and habergham... but you have to ask the question: would cowley allow them to persist with *floating the ball in*, if it wasn't part of his plan?
it doesn't appear to be that effective to me either... but it has occurred to me that it must be part of the method [we have been doing it for 42 games]. so - like the '16 crosses a game' rule - there may be some sports science behind it.

maybe a floated cross is less likely to be cleared far by a defender, and so stays in the danger area longer - for us to fight over the infamous 'second ball'. after all, we do play the percentages on lots of our tactics.

Reading the comments I'm not sure that 41 games into the season we're going to start changing the system for the final 5 games, get real !

Are the keepers just too much better in L2 for us to float crosses like this? That tactic might have caused issues in NL for a keeper who didn't come for crosses given our aerial threat, but the L2 keepers seem rather bolder in that respect.

Couldn’t go last night, but is seems yesterday just highlighted the problems were all aware of: our finishing isn’t good enough and we’re desperately lacking the 4th striker.

Sounds like we were massively hard done by the ref and the linesmen, but Allsopp also pulled off some terrific saves.

The game against Coventry is MASSIVE.

I don't think it is massive- we are in the play offs one point ahead of Mansfield- it is critical we take 6 points from our 2 homes games and get 3 points from the 2 away games. Nine points and Mansfield cannot catch us with only 3 games to play for them.

Every game is massive but we can afford to lose one providing we win the rest (to guarantee play off)

Couldn’t go last night, but is seems yesterday just highlighted the problems were all aware of: our finishing isn’t good enough and we’re desperately lacking the 4th striker.

Personally, I think we are lacking a lead striker, and that is what DC will be signing this summer. He has the money to outbid pretty much every other club in League Two, while his charisma can only help attract the right player for the right money.

All four games we have left are MASSIVE, plus of course the POs - if we get there. No hiding from that. Our objective must be to win all of them. Re the extra striker/our goal scoring generally, you only have to look at the goals scored column of the table. Although our defensive record is as good as anyones, we are way behind the top three, and even the likes of Crewe and Cheltenham have scored as many and more than us. At this stage of the season it doesn't matter though - if we win them all 1 - 0.

Last edited:
Are the keepers just too much better in L2 for us to float crosses like this? That tactic might have caused issues in NL for a keeper who didn't come for crosses given our aerial threat, but the L2 keepers seem rather bolder in that respect.

I think defences are far more organised to give their keeper the space to claim the ball without being challenged. Whenever the Shrewsbury keeper came for the ball he had 1 and sometimes 2 players standing exactly where he would be jumping preventing anyone from getting a challenge in. Coupled with all the shirt grabbing and holding now allowed in the box it makes it a lot easier for defenders to get the keepers lane clear for him

I think defences are far more organised to give their keeper the space to claim the ball without being challenged. Whenever the Shrewsbury keeper came for the ball he had 1 and sometimes 2 players standing exactly where he would be jumping preventing anyone from getting a challenge in. Coupled with all the shirt grabbing and holding now allowed in the box it makes it a lot easier for defenders to get the keepers lane clear for him

Indeed. We wouldn't want 'keepers having to cope with robust challenges. :lol: