Match Thread: Lincoln City v Swindon Town | Page 36 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Swindon Town

Show me a side who plays well for 46 games a season we are 2nd . I think sometimes we expect too much
Absolutely. It's been a sensational season. No season runs smooth and so far, there's been no sustained dip in form - or they've been able to drag out results when form has been off. A point tonight puts us a point further ahead of Hull, Accrington and a fading Charlton, for instance.

Those of us old enough to remember 82-83 are a bit nervous that history may repeat itself and we run out of gas. But the context is different, unity and commitment runs all the way through the club. MA, unusually has said sharp words in public tonight, let's hope it has the desired effect on Saturday.

Yes we were off it tonight, but still claimed a point, a point more than some of our rivals. I'll take that. Some interesting decisions to be made for Saturday. Has the time finally come to rest Johnson? Another game that passed him by tonight.

When you think about it, we as supporters have experienced two Championship winning seasons recently and know what it takes to have to grit your teeth and battle through right until the end. Well we've seen our team do it. But you know, we've been through the same emotions as we are experiencing now. So we know what it takes, more so than the players. I think thats maybe why we show our frustrations, and emotions. We really care don't we, and we really want to go up, to the second division for the first time in many a life time-certainly mine. Apart from Harry Anderson, these other lads perhaps haven't gone through it yet. They are young, it's all new, and they are having to learn to deal with it. Every team is up for it when they play us and raise their game.
We arent up yet, far from it, and we know we are going to have to keep battling all the way.

Exactly the same with me.

I had a bit of a weird feeling about this one too, such is the expectation now against struggling teams and at home that we think it will just happen. The lads must be feeling the pressure and it shows.
I think the slow starts at home might be affected by the lack of atmosphere which is totally at odds with being top of the league.
Conversely being top motivates the opposition to up their game.
I listened to the Swindon commentary which was professional and very unbiased I have to say. They were a bit surprised by how well Swindon played tonight. Particularly the number of shots on target. They were a much more effective attacking force than most games previously. Including against Crewe last week. As always difficult to know if our poor performance on the night allowed this.
They also rightly said they couldn't have seen the best of Lincoln in the two games we've played them this season.
This might have been one of those games where a full house at the Bank would have made a difference. Although the big crowd puts pressure on performances, I think it goes some way to explaining why we have had some disappointing results at home.

Talk me through how that works for the penalty.
Will fresh air move the ball 30 yards with the outside of its foot perfectly into Brennan's path, in the same way Rogers did.
An explanation is easy enough. In the moment, I thought that the through ball was from McGrandles ...will have to go watch the highlights, I guess.

Great interview from Apps. You could sense how disappointed and frustrated he was. He said it felt like a kind of arrogance from the players who just expected we would win. I like a bit of straight talking from a manager. I bet the dressing room after the game was an interesting place. He is expecting a reaction on Saturday and so are the fans.

This might have been one of those games where a full house at the Bank would have made a difference. Although the big crowd puts pressure on performances, I think it goes some way to explaining why we have had some disappointing results at home.
We are not the only ones - look at Pompeys home form (6-4-6) and until recently, Sunderland's.

Certainly a crowd when we got the second equaliser might have made the difference for us.

Great interview from Apps. You could sense how disappointed and frustrated he was. He said it felt like a kind of arrogance from the players who just expected we would win. I like a bit of straight talking from a manager. I bet the dressing room after the game was an interesting place. He is expecting a reaction on Saturday and so are the fans.

Took him ages coming out from the dressing room too. Interesting he didn't defend Palmer for his big error either.

Posh have won their last 5 games, and they haven't been that close. They seem to come alive in the 2nd half. I was surprised they beat Plymouth 3-0 away, as Plymouth haven't lost this year. Now we beat the Gills 3-0 away, and the following week Posh beat them 3-1. Would be nice if we repeated that, and beat Plymouth.
But, it will be a very difficult game, they will be smarting from the defeat, and like Wigan, will be trying to prove a point.
Posh have set the bar, it is up to us to reach and go above it.
I had a bad feeling about today, with all the Swindon chat at how hopeless they were, I thought "we're going to lose this", so was thankful for a point. We seem to always struggle against teams in the lower half for some reason. Is it arrogance that MA eluded to? Or something else.
I am probably the biggest pessimist on this forum, but should we win at Home Park, even I may just, JUST start believing.
Always have a nagging feeling with Posh, as their supporters probably have, that they will end up going on their seemingly annual losing run.

They seem to go on an extremely consistent runs (either just winning or losing) blocks rather than over the course of a season. Never appears to be an in between with them.

When you think about it, we as supporters have experienced two Championship winning seasons recently and know what it takes to have to grit your teeth and battle through right until the end. Well we've seen our team do it. But you know, we've been through the same emotions as we are experiencing now. So we know what it takes, more so than the players. I think thats maybe why we show our frustrations, and emotions. We really care don't we, and we really want to go up, to the second division for the first time in many a life time-certainly mine. Apart from Harry Anderson, these other lads perhaps haven't gone through it yet. They are young, it's all new, and they are having to learn to deal with it. Every team is up for it when they play us and raise their game.
We arent up yet, far from it, and we know we are going to have to keep battling all the way.
.....and we have to keep together as a team just as much as the players !!

Always have a nagging feeling with Posh, as their supporters probably have, that they will end up going on their seemingly annual losing run.

They seem to go on an extremely consistent runs (either just winning or losing) blocks rather than over the course of a season. Never appears to be an in between with them.

They have been incredibly lucky to keep their front four injury free for so long. Which is helping them.
I'll be happy if we're still this close to them when we go to London Road and go top!

For those who are superstitious, wear lucky socks etc, and are seeking omens I note that the 'official team sheet' failed to show who was captaining the Imps.

We played poorly last night, no one died though, we didn't lose either, and those around us did nothing special , MA gave them a reality check post game, expect a reaction on Saturday. Another game ticked off before the injured trio return. Lots of hard work ahead.
Do wonder if the lack of a SB crowd is affecting our home form. Many a time over the last four years we have dragged their tired arses over the line and pocketed crucial points. Something we have to sort or it will cost us.
UTI.

Do wonder if the lack of a SB crowd is affecting our home form

This is across the board in football this season. Liverpool have lost four on the bounce at home for the first time in nearly 100 years. Home advantage just isn't there without supporters. We have taken advantage of that situation with the 10 away wins.

I expect there will be some stats produced come the end of the season that will show this in every division