Match Thread: Lincoln City v Swindon Town | Page 34 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Swindon Town

Had a bit of a family crisis just after Jorge's penalty equaliser and didn't watch the second half. Have I missed anything?

So better to have only one of

the penalty "winner"

and

the scorer of the equaliser

on the pitch.

I make that a 2-1 defeat?

Yes, there is that :) But Rogers does run himself into blind alleys and a lot of good positions are wasted as a result. Admittedly those are often good positions he's got himself into, but it's frustrating.

Johnson has not played well for a while and I don't think it's any coincidence that we struggle in midfield when he's used there. I imagine he's meant to pick up the ball in our half and use his pace to run through, but we see none of that. I don't know why he keeps getting picked there?

Noticeable that when he ended up playing the furthest forward he got the penalty and could have had another. If he's not in the front three he shouldn't be anywhere.

posh have picked up a good 3 points at plymouth. so we can make a direct comparison of current form there with our game on saturday.

also noticed sunderland won and didn't conceded a shot either on or off target (according to bbc). which must be pretty rare, but is an indication of having a very high level of control in a game.

the race is hotting up.

Rogers looked exhausted the last 30 minutes. At least three excellent crosses from the right went past the far post and he wasn't even in the penalty area.

Johnson also faded badly second half.

Not sure it was the arrogant performance MA described. It just looked a tired performance to me. For many players, the mind knew what it wanted to do, but the legs and body just couldn't keep up with the mind.

Rogers looked exhausted the last 30 minutes. At least three excellent crosses from the right went past the far post and he wasn't even in the penalty area.

Not sure it was the arrogant performance MA described. It just looked a tired performance to me. For many players, the mind knew what it wanted to do, but the legs and body just couldn't keep up with the mind.
Too many good crosses wasted again.

Yes, there is that :) But Rogers does run himself into blind alleys and a lot of good positions are wasted as a result. Admittedly those are often good positions he's got himself into, but it's frustrating.

Johnson has not played well for a while and I don't think it's any coincidence that we struggle in midfield when he's used there. I imagine he's meant to pick up the ball in our half and use his pace to run through, but we see none of that. I don't know why he keeps getting picked there?

Noticeable that when he ended up playing the furthest forward he got the penalty and could have had another. If he's not in the front three he shouldn't be anywhere.
scully also did very little that led to anything, don't leave him out.
i would say johnson would be playing up front if bridcutt was fit. it is a compromise, playing him in midfield.
just as playing grant in dcmf is also compromise that doesn't get the best out of grant.
eyoma has been sharper this season. so has jones. so has montsma. and only recently has palmer started making a few gaffs. it does look at least in part like the (mental?) effects of a high intensity playing style coupled with a high intensity fixture programme to me.

I think we're all a bit uptight because of where we've come from, our history of cocking it up when we were last in such a good position as this in the third tier, and our desperation to see us back in the second tier for the first time in 60 years.

At the back of our minds we probably can't believe how much the players have over achieved this season and fear that we may not get such a strong position again. Perhaps that is why we are getting a tad anxious.

So I would say everyone have a beer, have a good sleep and enjoy looking at the league table tomorrow morning. Another game down, only 17 to go.

MA will be working overtime to keep the players relaxed and confident and as fans we maybe can't help the players like we would want to this season but we can help ourselves. Stay positive and delight at where we've come from and where we are now.

UTI

Reflecting a little seemed like we put in some dangerous balls in from the right, many from Scully going across the six yard box. But no one arriving from the left, which I assume should be Rogers. I think if coming from the opposite side more chance Scully would be there. Something to work on I think.

I was screaming at the telly on all 3 occasions. Players not just Rogers failed to fill that position for a tap in.

scully also did very little that led to anything, don't leave him out.
i would say johnson would be playing up front if bridcutt was fit. it is a compromise, playing him in midfield.
just as playing grant in dcmf is also compromise that doesn't get the best out of grant.
eyoma has been sharper this season. so has jones. so has montsma. and only recently has palmer started making a few gaffs. it does look at least in part like the (mental?) effects of a high intensity playing style coupled with a high intensity fixture programme to me.

I'm a fan of Scully @nlondonimp though tonight was not good for him, as most others. Nevertheless he almost scored from the Grant/Ref through ball, and pinged quite a few across goal in the second half. They were all wayward, but it's more than our other forward players came up with.

We have other midfield options than Johnson, actual midfield players like Jones or Sanders, or Edun for that matter.

I'm not going to dish any of the players, they've done excellently until the last few games, better than anyone could have dreamed and form goes in and out for no apparent reason.