Match Thread: Lincoln City v Swindon Town | Page 3 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Swindon Town

Its the home games that worry me. We are superb away from home, but we aren't the same side at home - especially if its a lower table team that sits back.

Our best football is on a quick break, just like that excellent second goal on Saturday. We don't seem to have the same opportunities at home to do that.

We need to get a home run started tonight. Even with the injuries, we have shown in the Papa John that we can still put out a really good starting 11 that can perform.

We’re top of league playing the best football I’ve seen a Lincoln side play in my lifetime. If you’re worrying about things we ‘need’ to do I reckon you might need a new hobby.

5 of the next 7 against teams below us...
our home v away record is skewed by the counter fact that we have already played all but one of the top teams at home.

oxford, posh, sunderland, (Ipswich and charlton) still to play away, which might well balance out the home/away records.

Shoot from distance this evening. Their keeper is poor and Sheridan will sit in with 11 eleven in the trenches. James Jones come on down, 1.0.

We’re top of league playing the best football I’ve seen a Lincoln side play in my lifetime. If you’re worrying about things we ‘need’ to do I reckon you might need a new hobby.
Most of us will agree 100% on the first point.

But having got into our current position by that football, it's natural to want to see that rightly earned top position maintained. To do that we 'need' to win the majority of our games against sides at the lower end of the table, particularly at home.

Most of us of a certain age can remember promotion bids falling away in, say, 71-72, 82-83 or more recently in 2006-07 (against tonights opponents, though then promotion rivals), in part damaged by home losses against sides we 'expected/ needed' to beat.

This season has been as enjoyable as a remote one can be, but tempered with a natural anxiety born out of bitter experience!