Match Thread: Lincoln City v Shrewsbury Town | Page 15 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Shrewsbury Town

The sending off was right in front of me in upper 4.Bolger looked at the guy as he started to run run down the line and then brought his arm/elbow back and crazily put it into Whaley’s face. For me it was always going to be a red, it was a mad thing to do, ironically I thought Bolger and Shackell were having a good game at the time.

Whaley absolutely milked it, but sadly can we say Andrade wouldn’t have done the same thing. For me the virtually no contact sport we watch, encourages simulation and mass exaggeration.

The speed of the camera is too fast to see what happened, so I will take your word for it.

I will add though that earlier in the game it was clear that Bolger gave a clear shove on the attacker that he nearly kicked in the head for the clearance on the edge of the six yard box. It wasn't a bump, or a tussle, it was simply a straight armed push and if that had been seen by the Ref, I suspect it may have been a penalty. If you are going to do these things, the law of chance says that eventually you will get caught for them, so I have little sympathy if Bostwick comes in and Bolger finds himself sitting out quite a few games.

Heard tonight that Bossie's injury is now seriously long term and that we won't be seeing him any time soon.

Not great was it? I suppose playing poorly and still getting a point in this League isn’t bad, it felt to me like a 0-1 from about 20 minutes in.

As has been mentioned elsewhere January can’t come soon enough so MA can begin to shape his own team.

Very unbalanced league table at the moment. We are now the only team to have played 14 games and have played up to four more games than a couple of teams (well, until today anyway). So how did that happen/ how did the fixture people work that one out? Assume it’s a combination of factors, including Bury/Bolton fiasco. Either way makes us look a little better than we possibly are once the other teams catch up, assuming they do). We need a win to maintain our mid-table status. We’ll get one. UTI ?

Very unbalanced league table at the moment. We are now the only team to have played 14 games and have played up to four more games than a couple of teams (well, until today anyway). So how did that happen/ how did the fixture people work that one out? Assume it’s a combination of factors, including Bury/Bolton fiasco. Either way makes us look a little better than we possibly are once the other teams catch up, assuming they do). We need a win to maintain our mid-table status. We’ll get one. UTI ?
Bolton bury + international weeks

No team is too good to go down unless they prove it with results on the pitch.
On last night's showing, we certainly aren't too good to go down and neither are Shrewsbury. We won't, but have to do a lot better than that virtual no-show.
Can we please move the ball quicker? I'm sick of seeing the bloody thing pointlessly circulated across the defence and back again! Shackels swivelling "disguised" left foot pass is about as exciting as that gets! I'm not saying lump it forward at every turn, but at least mix it up with one for someone to chase onto. The only chances our deep lying possession is creating aren't for us!

A good point in the end from a game that I hadn't felt all week that we were going to win, and felt like a 0-1 the longer it went on. W have kept 5 clean sheets in 7 home games, which isn't bad with only Oxford being a really weird result. Keep picking up the points at home and we will finish comfortably.

Looks like Max Melbourne will be playing the next three games then?

Pompey away next. Let's enjoy playing a fixture like that when more recent trips to the south coast have been Eastleigh and Whitehawk!

too much sideways passing

too much playing from the back

I was looking forward to a nice match of kick and rush - but I forgot we have moved on from there

I am glad we kept a clean sheet but I think at home we need to mix it up a bit.

With the way that Shrewsbury were set up I would have played Anderson and akinde for grant and Payne from the start.

grant and Payne will be ok against the cultured teams but the Shrewsbury style was about as exciting and inspiring as a white bread cheese sandwich in a winters day.

They had too many big blokes to block and head. It would have been better for Anderson to run at them and get the odd free kick or penalty that big john would have put away

As Notty said a rare 0-0 that actually deserved to be 0/0. Think we didn’t move the ball quickly enough, but seems to be a call for us to start going longer, but we don’t have the personnel to do that, especially with 3 big lads against us. Jack Payne isn’t functioning like he was early season, I would be trying someone else in that role. Grant had a poor game but thought he played well last week so maybe that’s what you get with him. Eardley might be saved in the team by Bolgers suspension but I think the postman has been 2nd class.
Looks a bit like might be Connolly in defence rather than Melbourne but let’s see. Didn’t really see the sending off although I expected their player to be off on a stretcher

"Longer" doesn't have to be neck high to a big lump. It can be in in behind or down the side of the full back, we do have pace to do that.
At the moment, for a lot of this season, we have become predictable. Nothing wrong with mixing it up and giving the other side different things to think about.

I hope the red card - and in real time, it certainly seemed like a red card - doesn't distract from a truly dour Lincoln performance. I'm glad that we're still trying to play some nice football but a more direct style has its place and we need to add more variety to our game if we want to break teams down.

The speed of the camera is too fast to see what happened, so I will take your word for it.

I will add though that earlier in the game it was clear that Bolger gave a clear shove on the attacker that he nearly kicked in the head for the clearance on the edge of the six yard box. It wasn't a bump, or a tussle, it was simply a straight armed push and if that had been seen by the Ref, I suspect it may have been a penalty. If you are going to do these things, the law of chance says that eventually you will get caught for them, so I have little sympathy if Bostwick comes in and Bolger finds himself sitting out quite a few games.
The push you refer to goes on evry match. Walker was being manhandled and wrestled away from the ball all match last night. He even got thrown to the floor on one occasion and got nothing. The challenge for the red (that happened in front of me) was one 90% of defenders would have made and taken a yellow for it IMO.