Match Thread: Lincoln City v Rotherham United | Page 15 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Rotherham United

The three promoted sides (Hull, Cheaterborough, Blackpool) are all in the bottom four already. It shows how wide the gap is between divisions.
I like the bottom 4 at present, Hull , Notso Posh and Forest make up 3 attractive games next season -- hopefully >

The point of our style is that if we’ve got the ball the opposition can’t score rather than conceding possession. Of course didn’t at all work last night but I guess sometimes you’ve got to be brave and if we’d broken the press then we would have outnumbered them going forward.

That is true and it's different tactics for different teams and circumstances.
Last night's circumstances was that we were at 1 each with 15 minutes to go and were getting battered mainly due to the fact that we tried to stick to main way of playing instead of changing the tactics to try and release the constant pressure.
With only minutes left its far better to knock the ball long and compete for second balls in their half rather than putting ourselves under pressure in our own 18 yard box and last third of the pitch because eventually that will only end one way.
As most of us have said we got away with it last night but these circumstances will present themselves again against teams that are quality and are prepared to press you deep in your own half.
Will be interesting to see how we adapt and cope with it next time it happens.

That is true and it's different tactics for different teams and circumstances.
Last night's circumstances was that we were at 1 each with 15 minutes to go and were getting battered mainly due to the fact that we tried to stick to main way of playing instead of changing the tactics to try and release the constant pressure.
With only minutes left its far better to knock the ball long and compete for second balls in their half rather than putting ourselves under pressure in our own 18 yard box and last third of the pitch because eventually that will only end one way.
As most of us have said we got away with it last night but these circumstances will present themselves again against teams that are quality and are prepared to press you deep in your own half.
Will be interesting to see how we adapt and cope with it next time it happens.
Don't forget our lads were tired as well, 2 games in 3 days.

I cannot recall a more crucial and dominating display by a City keeper in many a year. It wasn't just his saves; it was his fearlessness in going for punches or saves.
Well done, young Josh. He turned a likely 6-1 defeat into a point.
He also caught some, and a few of those under pressure too. It helps to be 6'7", but still courageous and great handling. That could be the one thing that sets him apart from the majority of goalkeepers, let's hope they don't coach it out of him and turn him into a flappingpickford.

Agree. Not sure we knew what plan "c" was though.
Plan "a" - give it short, high press problem.
Plan "b" - knock it long, land of the giants problem.
Plan "c"?
It was a difficult night for us. Fella near me was playing hell up because we weren't playing the crisp, quick and attacking passing game as against Cambridge. He failed to identify that Rotherham weren't Cambridge, and that they were intent on stopping us doing it!

What do Man City do?
A similar problem happened against Wycombe and it's going to happen again. Serious question: Is there a plan C?

What Mapp really highlighted was our inability to deal with the sheer physical offensive from Rotherham. Although Josh handled himself well, the ball just kept coming back at him as we just seemed to keep getting brushed off the ball. Not sure how we can fix that side of our game.
Luckily there aren't too many teams that can do a Rotherham. They are a burly bunch of bastards, but skillful too.
So to sum up
Plan A is great, until we get a very high press
Plan B doesn't work for us.
I'm not sure what plan C is.
We need to get a bit more street.

Anyone think we looked a bit of a mid-paced team, as well?

Brammal looked rocket-propelled when he came on but we don't seem to generally have the pace we had last year with Rogers and Johnson.
The Johnson pace at the moment is not helping Floris. Although a league higher he doesn’t look the player he was with us

I cannot recall a more crucial and dominating display by a City keeper in many a year. It wasn't just his saves; it was his fearlessness in going for punches or saves.
Could have been well more than 6 Superb from you Josh

The strange thing with last night was that having indeed been bullied and pressed into clear inferiority in the first half, for the first part of the second half we came out and matched Rotherham and they did not like it up them.

Then we totally fell apart, the catalyst for that seemed to that advantage not given and possession cheaply surrendered from the resultant free kick. Rotherham were reenergised and were suddenly on the back foot again.

That period of the second half shows MA's teams can compete with pressing, physical sides but the rest of the match shows that sustaining that for 90 minutes is quite another thing.

Better than Bursik?

Or even more hopefully, we might be waving at them as we move a division above them...
I know its still early, but seeing where the three promoted teams are, and looking at Rotherham on Tuesday just ex Championship, the reality is there is a big jump from Div 1. You have to cling on during your first season and build from there. Coventry seem to be doing this on their second season back up.

Bursik's performance was exceptional, but I would stand by what I posted: Josh Griffiths saved us and it was done as the team around him was on the brink. The number of point-saving saves, punches and catches went beyond those in Bursik's excellent performance.

Agreed. Griffiths had a team in front of him who were dominated for much of the match and who completely fell apart in the last 15 minutes. That's a tough gig for any 'keeper, never mind a teenager.

Agreed. Griffiths had a team in front of him who were dominated for much of the match and who completely fell apart in the last 15 minutes. That's a tough gig for any 'keeper, never mind a teenager.

Just to be pedantic and accurate, Griffiths is now a 20-year-old veteran since a week or two ago.

The strange thing with last night was that having indeed been bullied and pressed into clear inferiority in the first half, for the first part of the second half we came out and matched Rotherham and they did not like it up them.

Then we totally fell apart, the catalyst for that seemed to that advantage not given and possession cheaply surrendered from the resultant free kick. Rotherham were reenergised and were suddenly on the back foot again.

That period of the second half shows MA's teams can compete with pressing, physical sides but the rest of the match shows that sustaining that for 90 minutes is quite another thing.
Rotherham made a couple of subs around this time, they seemed to come on strong after that as well