Match Thread: Lincoln City v Rotherham United | Page 14 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Rotherham United

Yep, needing that extra touch/half-second on the ball can be critical at this level. something Edun rarely needed, of course. TJ is more composed on the ball, as well.
You think so? He certainly wasn’t on Saturday.
Walsh I would agree with

I think these comments about extra touches whilst accurate assume that the ball received is being stroked around Man C style and I don't think that's the case. Quite often the ball is pinged at quite high pace and/or lofted but not landed at feet. I'm just making the point that the passes often aren't the easiest to work with.

Think a few are still suffering from being 'rusty', Maguire definitely was last night.
Sorensen just looks like he's struggling to adjust to the pace of league one even though he's played in it before, his passing was again poor, odd considering he put that lovely pass inside the fullback at Gillingham on the opening day.

I think these comments about extra touches whilst accurate assume that the ball received is being stroked around Man C style and I don't think that's the case. Quite often the ball is pinged at quite high pace and/or lofted but not landed at feet. I'm just making the point that the passes often aren't the easiest to work with.

Yep, fair point as well.

There was certainly some wild passing going on last night.

Anyone think we looked a bit of a mid-paced team, as well?

Brammal looked rocket-propelled when he came on but we don't seem to generally have the pace we had last year with Rogers and Johnson.
We looked very slow at times last night, bar the move for the goal and few other moments, Bishop seems to get us moving quicker when he's on.

There didn't appear to be any big queues at the turnstiles last night ? and you could access all the way around the back of the Stacey West at full time, the Club listened and did something about the previous problems.

I must have got ahead of the curve and saved myself a few minutes queueing.

I go over Pelham Bridge, West Parade and The Avenue to get to the Carholme for the return journey and I can recommend that route if anybody has their car parked in the right place to take advantage of that.
Usually park at South Parade and head back over Pelham bridge myself. Decided to stroll down from my mates place up near the Ivy Tavern, hence the delay. Same story for the Bolton game. Think I'll return to the tried and well tested norm on Saturday.

Another home game that shows the difficulty we have against teams that press high and stop us playing out from the back. Unfortunately none of Poole, Jackson or (it seems) Robson are really comfortable receiving a pass, and that gives a split second for the opposition forward to press them.

We don't suffer from it as much away from home as the onus is on the home team to attack. Last season and this though, when we come up against a high energy high pressing team like Rotherham at home, we really struggle.

Accepted that they pressed us high but we created all our own problems in those last 15 minutes.
We all know how the manager wants the team to play but sometimes you just have to go to plan b and plan c.
There's no way the keeper should be dropping the ball to a centre half in his own 18 yard box or bowling it out to full backs who are immediately being put under pressure. I don't care who you are if you are put under that sort of pressure it's just a matter of time that you will make a mistake that will cost you a goal and we gave the ball away endlessly in those final minutes.
I like us playing out from the back but it has to be a calculated risk not just let's do it because that's what we do.
We got away with it last night but sometimes you need to cut the risk by doing something else especially in a game that was on a knife edge like last night.

There's no way the keeper should be dropping the ball to a centre half in his own 18 yard box or bowling it out to full backs who are immediately being put under

And giving another plus point for Griffiths, he identified that as an issue so waved the defenders forward. Unfortunately this still resulted in possession being given up

Accepted that they pressed us high but we created all our own problems in those last 15 minutes.
We all know how the manager wants the team to play but sometimes you just have to go to plan b and plan c.
There's no way the keeper should be dropping the ball to a centre half in his own 18 yard box or bowling it out to full backs who are immediately being put under pressure. I don't care who you are if you are put under that sort of pressure it's just a matter of time that you will make a mistake that will cost you a goal and we gave the ball away endlessly in those final minutes.
I like us playing out from the back but it has to be a calculated risk not just let's do it because that's what we do.
We got away with it last night but sometimes you need to cut the risk by doing something else especially in a game that was on a knife edge like last night.
Agree. Not sure we knew what plan "c" was though.
Plan "a" - give it short, high press problem.
Plan "b" - knock it long, land of the giants problem.
Plan "c"?
It was a difficult night for us. Fella near me was playing hell up because we weren't playing the crisp, quick and attacking passing game as against Cambridge. He failed to identify that Rotherham weren't Cambridge, and that they were intent on stopping us doing it!

And giving another plus point for Griffiths, he identified that as an issue so waved the defenders forward. Unfortunately this still resulted in possession being given up

Yes he did do that but not sure whether that decision was off his own back or from the sidelines. All I do know is that he was getting an awful lot of, shall we say, encouragement from block 7 to get the ball forward.

Yeah he noticably went long for rhe last 10 minutes or so, which was probably the right call but it'd be interesting to know if it was his decision or the captain/manager's.

While we were lucky last night, but we were unlucky against Bolton not to get something out of the game, so evened out a bit. Bit bothered about Sorensen, had a hand in the goal but not much else, thought he might cost us the game, but several others were challenging for that 'honour'. Enjoyed the game in spite of being outplayed for long periods. Work in progress.

UTI.

Absolutely right. If the keeper kicks it long and we lose possession, at least the opposition can't score with it in their own half. I don't know whether Griffiths took it upon himself to kick long towards the end or whether it was on orders, but kudos to him if it was his own decision.

Absolutely right. If the keeper kicks it long and we lose possession, at least the opposition can't score with it in their own half. .
The point of our style is that if we’ve got the ball the opposition can’t score rather than conceding possession. Of course didn’t at all work last night but I guess sometimes you’ve got to be brave and if we’d broken the press then we would have outnumbered them going forward.

Yeah he noticably went long for rhe last 10 minutes or so, which was probably the right call but it'd be interesting to know if it was his decision or the captain/manager's.
Certainly looked to be an instruction from the bench to go long
Can’t recall if it was Kerslake or Appleton but someone gave it the wave towards their goal

Last edited: