Match Thread: Lincoln City v Rotherham United | Page 17 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Rotherham United

There is no fundamental change to any of this, from the rule change.

It just gets the ball to the first player quicker.

If it were harder the teams would do it the way they did last year.

It's easier to play out from the back if you are good at it.

At its simplest and most complicated there are only 2 decisions to make

Can I make a short pass that will improve the situation or
should I welly it down field.

The only other thing is to execute your pass or welly properly.

Having extra time and room to do this for a good exponent of the art, must make it easier.

The issue you are highlighting - is it gives someone not good at it,
more opportunities and time to cock it up.
i haven't seen many league one teams doing it. certainly not with the two centre backs standing at the corners of the six yard box from a goal kick - where there is no option to turn backwards in an emergency - defenders don't like not having that option. but as the earlier poster said, maybe we are gradually realising this new element is only to be done v occasionally - i.e when there is no press.

interesting that if we really went for it, with 6 of our players coming short for the ball around our own box, the opposition could only counter that with a six man press. which would leave us the possibility of a 4 v 4 counterattack in the final 2/3rds of the pitch.
if our keeper was able to keep both options open until the last moment - the short ball, or the longer ball into the other 2/3rds of the pitch, we might get some attacking joy with this tactic.
requires a quick thinking keeper, with good short and long distribution. i hope that is vickers, if not... can we afford that at our level?

Very interesting. Once it starts delivering goals - rather than costing them - I'll be right on board.

At least there is one bonus coming from this defensive Beckenbaur emulation process.......we can verify the beats per minute being delivered by our cardiovascular system.

...........still think it`s shite............delivering goals?,,,,,,,,,for our opposition!

i haven't seen many league one teams doing it. certainly not with the two centre backs standing at the corners of the six yard box from a goal kick - where there is no option to turn backwards in an emergency - defenders don't like not having that option. but as the earlier poster said, maybe we are gradually realising this new element is only to be done v occasionally - i.e when there is no press.

interesting that if we really went for it, with 6 of our players coming short for the ball around our own box, the opposition could only counter that with a six man press. which would leave us the possibility of a 4 v 4 counterattack in the final 2/3rds of the pitch.
if our keeper was able to keep both options open until the last moment - the short ball, or the longer ball into the other 2/3rds of the pitch, we might get some attacking joy with this tactic.
requires a quick thinking keeper, with good short and long distribution. i hope that is vickers, if not... can we afford that at our level?

Yes, plenty of options. Be interesting to see how this all develops over the next year or so. Being predictable is not good, so a mixture of tactics will no doubt develop.

Some of it is definitely posing the opposition questions. From comments from the Rotherham manager, it certain made them think and set up differently from how they would have preferred.

Always easy to be generous about the opposition when you've won. I preferred it when the managers and players would moan fit to bust about having to come to Sincil Bank and then moan all over again after leaving....

You mean, when they left with no points after we hadn't gifted them a soft goal by fucking around at the back? Happy days...

Still, at least now we're knocking it around like fancy Spanish skill-boys.

Always easy to be generous about the opposition when you've won. I preferred it when the managers and players would moan fit to bust about having to come to Sincil Bank and then moan all over again after leaving....
"They're good at what they do, but it's not how I like to play", or "I wouldn't want to watch that every week"
Happy and heady days! Move along, no triangles to be seen here :taz:

"Their crowd were too noisy and intimidated the referee"......John Coleman........the good old days.
new scenario:"they knocked the ball around well and looked decent.......but at the end of the day we shafted them and took all 3 point"
..........somewhere in the middle is just around the corner once MA gets his own troops.