Match Thread: Lincoln City v Rotherham United | Page 11 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Rotherham United

I don't think you're the only person to have said that but I thought he had a decent game. It makes a positive difference having someone in that position and I'm not sure what he was supposed to have done wrong?

Too easily brushed off the ball, too many touches to get the ball under control and never looks like influencing the game. I would accept it's a very difficult position to play but he's shown time and again he's not answer. I think Payne offers more in that position.

We played well. Against a good team. Carving them open a few times. An enjoyable game; a respectable result at this stage of our ongoing development - although always disappointing to lose, all the more so at home. Created half a dozen chances that more often than not we would have scored one or more from - bodes well that we’re now creating chances again.
New recruits did well, and it was much better from MM. Results will come. Hope we can lift ourselves and begin opening up those teams that park the bus. Vital game on Tuesday.

the key issue was the quality of the Rotherham keeper. He was excellent if we had swapped keepers with them we would have had 3 points

Harry missed a sitter and Jorge should have buried his free header; the 'keeper shouldn't have got near it. Small margins.

Unlike Saturday can take positives tonight. Although a cliche game of two halves - we edged the first and them the second.

Bridcutt looks a player, although faded second half. TJJ did better than I would have expected as lone striker, just a shame didn’t get goal he would have deserved.

ONE goal scored, if we are doing capitals and want to be accurate about things.

Just to add a bit of balance before the usual suspects start whining pitifully, three of those four defeats have been to teams in the top six.

The next five games are all very winnable.

Plastic will always be plastic, that’s why it’s not biodegradable.

Just got back and despite the defeat much much happier than last Tuesday. Still too much pissing about at the back which caught us out a couple of times but other than that I thought we acquitted ourselves well against an organised team of monsters. We did create some good chances and Harry was unlucky with his effort in the first half. Right at the end we had two good chances from Tyreece. Bridcutt was superb on his debut and exactly what we need in the middle. He allowed Morrell much more freedom. Difficult to separate the two for mom. Whilst only on for a short time I was very impressed with Scully. He has strength, a good touch and vision. Looking forward to MK Dons now as that is a match we need to be getting 3 points from.

A perfect example in my view as to why we will never get out of this league with a team of small nippy players. Yes, we played OK, but never really gave Rotherham a game physically.

In the Championship you might get away with it, but even there I have my doubts. At this level you have to compete physically in midfield and up front. And we don't. Or rather can't.

This also means we have to try and play out from the back. And we can't do that either - it cost us a goal yet again.

Thought we were much better than the Portsmouth game we're just lacking that bit of something in front of goal.
Tuesday is what counts they're games we need to get something from if we'd have got anything tonight it would have been a huge bonus.
Plenty to build but think we overplayed it at times.

The next 5 are crucial playing teams in and around us.

Genuinely believe 🍎 will build something here, and the board will need to back him in the summer.

A definite improvement on the previous games, but, a very frustrating game. Again, we lose because of playing out from the back. It's starting to become like var, we moan about it every week. It's the first time the crowd have been hugely deflated by a goal. It's the same mistakes again and again. Teams know what's coming and how to play against us, just press against us and we'll deliver the ball to you on a plate. I think next season we'll see a very different looking back 5 that is more adapt at playing the way Appleton wants to play.

We had enough good chances to win it, but finishing wasn't good enough. There actually wasn't an awful lot between the teams, though I'm not sure if that's because Rotherham didn't need to go through the gears. Rotherham must be the tallest team in the league, very physical and won all the second balls. Other than the goal, I can't remember them carving us open.

We're actually good when we have the ball forward, we just don't have a successful method to get the ball in those positions. Passing out from the back has its clear issues and long ball provided limited success. The times we managed to get the ball out we looked good. In particular the phase of play leading to Anderson's opportunity was superb.

A massive positive today was Bridcut, what a fantastic addition he looks to be. I hope we can use him to bridge play from playing out at the back. He doesn't half mind getting stuck in as well!

A couple of extra bug-bears:
-Too slow and predictable setting up from goal kicks and when vickers had the ball in hand
-Movement at throw ins
-providing support when countering
-lack of fitness (at least compared to Rotherham)
-lack of out and out winger options (we have bucket loads of central midfielders)

Hoping for a positive game on Tuesday and I feel confident we'll get a good result. Let's stop the rot of 4 defeats on the bounce, just for my piece of mind (I still have nightmares of our slide in to Non-League). It's difficult sometimes to remember we've had a lot of changes to the squad over a short period of time and it takes time for players to get on the same wavelength. Let's cut out the problems at the back and we'll be decent.

Onwards and upwards.

Last edited:
For a team top of the league their passing at times was appalling, you get the feeling they'll struggle again if they get promoted, crooks was great with the goal but some of his other play was definitely lacking.
Their no.5 was a lucky boy.
Played to their strengths.

A definite improvement on the previous games, but, a very frustrating game. Again, we lose because of playing out from the back. It's starting to become like var, we moan about it every week. It's the first time the crowd have been hugely deflated by a goal. It's the same mistakes again and again. Teams know what's coming and how to play against us, just press against us and we'll deliver the ball to you on a plate. I think next season we'll see a very different looking back 5 that is more adapt at playing the way Appleton wants to play.

We had enough good chances to win it, but finishing wasn't good enough. There actually wasn't an awful lot between the teams, though I'm not sure if that's because Rotherham didn't need to go through the gears. Rotherham must be the biggest team in the league, very physical and won all the second balls. Other than the goal, I can't remember them carving us open.

We're actually good when we have the ball forward, we just don't have a successful method to get the ball in those positions. Passing out from the back has its clear issues and long ball provided limited success. The times we managed to get the ball out we looked good. In particular the phase of play leading to Anderson's opportunity was superb.

A couple of extra bug-bears:
-Too slow and predictable setting up from goal kicks and when vickers had the ball in hand
-Movement at throw ins
-providing support when countering
-lack of fitness (at least compared to Rotherham)

Hoping for a positive game on Tuesday and I feel confident we'll get a good result. Let's stop the rot of 4 defeats on the bounce, just for my piece of mind (I still have nightmares of our slide in to Non-League).

Onwards and upwards.

I agree with the comment on Vickers, he isn’t good enough with his feet and too apprehensive. If he is planning to go short just do it early. Not hesitate, let the opposition set up and go short anyway.

I think 🍎 will have a new keeper in mind for the summer.

Passing from the back (part 73)

The reason it doesn't work well right now is because there aren't currently players in those positions who can pass the ball well enough. I realise this is stupidly obvious but you either get everyone used to doing it and build from there, or you delay everything six months. It's frustrating in the meantime, though.

After last Saturday's debacle I was immediately able to console myself watching another team - admittedly in a different country and at a level higher (only one level, though) and the opposition know they're going to do the same thing so there's a high press whenever there's a goal kick.

Unless it's definitely not on they always pass it out and last week a succession of quick, dangerous attacks were built because of it. But you need defenders who can also pass the ball.

If the same back line is in place next season and this is still being tried, that's when I'll join the ranks of the hair tearers.

I agree with the comment on Vickers, he isn’t good enough with his feet and too apprehensive. If he is planning to go short just do it early. Not hesitate, let the opposition set up and go short anyway.

I think 🍎 will have a new keeper in mind for the summer.
add to that, he has bolger and shackell as the two options to play out to, and a bobbly pitch. it is like watching a car crash in slow motion.

Forgot to say, some of our ‘fans’ were giving it green street to the Rotherham supporters on way out, absolute embarrassment.

Passing from the back (part 73)

The reason it doesn't work well right now is because there aren't currently players in those positions who can pass the ball well enough. I realise this is stupidly obvious but you either get everyone used to doing it and build from there, or you delay everything six months. It's frustrating in the meantime, though.

After last Saturday's debacle I was immediately able to console myself watching another team - admittedly in a different country and at a level higher (only one level, though) and the opposition know they're going to do the same thing so there's a high press whenever there's a goal kick.

Unless it's definitely not on they always pass it out and last week a succession of quick, dangerous attacks were built because of it. But you need defenders who can also pass the ball.

If the same back line is in place next season and this is still being tried, that's when I'll join the ranks of the hair tearers.
question 74. (repeated). if none of the back line will be here next year, why are we practicing it with them now?

question 75. why aren't bridcutt and morell (neither contracted for next year) coming short to take passes off bolger and shackell?