Match Thread: Lincoln City v Portsmouth | Page 23 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Portsmouth

I don’t get why given a choice of having him available for 1 game out of 3 or 2 out of 3 you wouldn’t choose 2.

I would of chose 2.
He's rested against Doncaster cos they are second bottom but that didn't quite go as planned but we didn't get beat.
He plays against Portsmouth because he's our best and most experienced defender and we need that type of player on the pitch for games like that.

And barring that he hasn't picked up a significant injury against Portsmouth he plays on Saturday against Accrington because that is a game we simply need to win.

Why wouldn't he be able to play on Tuesday night then Saturday bearing in mind he had the previous Saturday off and after Saturday could have 2 weeks rest if required missing the efl Cup game at Carlisle on Tuesday, the FA Cup game at home to Hartlepool ( I would really expect him to play in that)up to the following week's league game at Cheltenham where he would definitely be expected to play.

Last edited:
Looking at the stats for the Portsmouth game on sofa score and Fotmob Lewis Fiorini was the only player to score above 7 on there stats for the game

Just watching Man City v PSG two very gifted sides. They both play football at the back but when high pressed they pass it back to the keeper if under pressure he boots it up field. Surely as we are not as gifted that may be an option for us instead of tip tapping about in our own six yard box
Yeah .I watched that match and you could see both Pep and Potch encouraging their players to stop fucking around at the back and get in the mixer .

I would of chose 2.
He's rested against Doncaster cos they are second bottom but that didn't quite go as planned but we didn't get beat.
He plays against Portsmouth because he's our best and most experienced defender and we need that type of player on the pitch for games like that.

And barring that he hasn't picked up a significant injury against Portsmouth he plays on Saturday against Accrington because that is a game we simply need to win.

Why wouldn't he be able to play on Tuesday night then Saturday bearing in mind he had the previous Saturday off and after Saturday could have 2 weeks rest if required missing the efl Cup game at Carlisle on Tuesday, the FA Cup game at home to Hartlepool ( I would really expect him to play in that)up to the following week's league game at Cheltenham where he would definitely be expected to play.
I understand what you’re saying, but for me the most important games are the one we stand the best chance of picking up points, which was Donny (which didn’t work out, although we got one) and Accrington. For me we were always going to struggle to get a result against Pompey, even with a fit Jacko playing. My biggest fear was that he would play against Pompey, pick up another injury and then not be available for Accrington. That was my thinking, for what it’s worth, but I don’t pick the team or dictate the tactics so it doesn’t really matter 🤔

I would of chose 2.

Yeah but that wasn’t the option. He can’t play 2 games in a week currently.

Yeah but that wasn’t the option. He can’t play 2 games in a week currently.

Yes I have heard the manager say that he wouldn't want any 'niggles' Jackson has turning into anything more serious but how can you legislate for that.
I don't want to get run over crossing the road but I might.
He needs to be playing in games when we need him not being rested because people have already given Portsmouth the 3 points before we have even kicked off.

Just watching Man City v PSG two very gifted sides. They both play football at the back but when high pressed they pass it back to the keeper if under pressure he boots it up field. Surely as we are not as gifted that may be an option for us instead of tip tapping about in our own six yard box

Was at the game and I thought PSG actually struggled a bit with the City high press (that press is of unbelievable quality, in fairness). At one point Zinchenko and Bernardo were all over them in their own box, and punting it long towards Messi, Neymar and Mbappe to get eaten alive is definitely not first choice!

It did make me think that you have to accept sometimes it is hard to play through, but not that you would abandon it all together. Very much last resort territory!

Yes I have heard the manager say that he wouldn't want any 'niggles' Jackson has turning into anything more serious but how can you legislate for that.
I don't want to get run over crossing the road but I might.
He needs to be playing in games when we need him not being rested because people have already given Portsmouth the 3 points before we have even kicked off.

It's always the same - when one thing goes wrong it has knock on effects...

If Walsh were fit - a big if I know - you can afford to take the risk because if anything does happen - you might have to play 6 games with Walsh/Montsma, hardly weaker.

With Walsh injured, you risk a Jackson niggle being aggravated and say 6 games of Montsma/Eyoma.

...and during those 6 games contemplating Eyoma/Roughan as your back up plan.

We are a Jackson injury away from that.

It's always the same - when one thing goes wrong it has knock on effects...

If Walsh were fit - a big if I know - you can afford to take the risk because if anything does happen - you might have to play 6 games with Walsh/Montsma, hardly weaker.

With Walsh injured, you risk a Jackson niggle being aggravated and say 6 games of Montsma/Eyoma.

...and during those 6 games contemplating Eyoma/Roughan as your back up plan.

We are a Jackson injury away from that.

So what you are suggesting is that we have had no luck with injuries? Of course Appleton has recently commented he has a small squad. So a small squad combined with injuries leads to difficulties?Would you agree with that ?

So what you are suggesting is that we have had no luck with injuries? Of course Appleton has recently commented he has a small squad. So a small squad combined with injuries leads to difficulties?Would you agree with that ?
All clubs seem to have serious numbers out injured this season. Donny were missing several players last week and 2 of the Accy’s best players are missing today due to long term injuries. It’s not just us, all clubs are struggling with injuries. Is sports science all it’s cracked up to be ?

All clubs seem to have serious numbers out injured this season. Donny were missing several players last week and 2 of the Accy’s best players are missing today due to long term injuries. It’s not just us, all clubs are struggling with injuries. Is sports science all it’s cracked up to be ?
That's my point though John .Chimp was advocating a small squad of quality and keep your fingers crossed with injuries at the start of the season Not practical in my view .Our squad size is dictated by budget. Appleton himself has said it's not big enough. That's why the big teams are likely to succeed this season .Being able to plug the gaps is essential.

That's my point though John .Chimp was advocating a small squad of quality and keep your fingers crossed with injuries at the start of the season Not practical in my view .Our squad size is dictated by budget. Appleton himself has said it's not big enough. That's why the big teams are likely to succeed this season .Being able to plug the gaps is essential.

And I agreed with you, as I recall.

Especially the case as we already knew several players were injury prone.

Chimpy thinks we'll get 40 games out of Walsh next season, though. 😃

And I agreed with you, as I recall.

Especially the case as we already knew several players were injury prone.

Chimpy thinks we'll get 40 games out of Walsh next season, though. 😃
You still haven't explained how a bigger squad will solve your problems.

We have 5 options at centre half.
Walsh
Jackson
Montsma
Eyoma
Roughan

We haven't had to play other than the top four.

The same applies in midfield with Sanders and upfront with Longdon.

It's not number of players that is our problem.

If we had spare cash I would not buy a 6th centre half.

I would get rid of whoever is our 5th best centre half and buy one that would be our best.

You still haven't explained how having the extra sheer number of players makes any real difference.

I'm still waiting?

Maybe we don't have a small injury prone squad but are taking player welfare into account. Instead of encouraging players to go out and play with existing injuries (or failing to stop them playing with an injury because they want to play) we're thinking of their future quality of life. It was okay giving the players pain killing injections decades ago but how many of them are now struggling to walk? Player welfare has to come before match results.
I wonder if todays injuries were yester years niggles?
Disappointing when a club is missing some star players but I can accept their health is more important than winning at all costs.

You still haven't explained how a bigger squad will solve your problems.

We have 5 options at centre half.
Walsh
Jackson
Montsma
Eyoma
Roughan

We haven't had to play other than the top four.

The same applies in midfield with Sanders and upfront with Longdon.

It's not number of players that is our problem.

If we had spare cash I would not buy a 6th centre half.

I would get rid of whoever is our 5th best centre half and buy one that would be our best.

You still haven't explained how having the extra sheer number of players makes any real difference.

I'm still waiting?

Really? Having more players doesn't help? 🤣

So, Chimpy, over to you to explain how having fewer players helps.