Match Thread: Lincoln City v Portsmouth | Page 22 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Portsmouth

Yeah, I get that re “we’re not physio science bods” but there’s a continual and annoying frustration around us wrapping our players in cotton wool? We claim our best defenders are Jacko and Walsh, but they’re professional footballers that can’t play more than a game a week? I mean, come on? What other teams do we hear can’t play their (so called) best players because they can’t manage more than a game a week without niggles and injuries? I’d also include Bridcutt and Bishop in that equation. Either we’re just completely unlucky, or something in our training regime is the problem? I’m not a physio science bod, but I am continually pi**ed off that we can’t regularly play our best players as they can’t be risked? If it was a feature of the modern game every team would experience the same? If they can’t be risked and can’t play 30-40 games a season, as professional footballers are expected, surely we need to get rid and not waste wages on players that spend most of their time on the treatment table?

There's something out if kilter.

Well, back home tonight after my overnight stay for last night's match and haven't yet had the pleasure(?) of reading through this and other threads.

I don't always agree with some of the assessments on here of the team's performance, but...

That WAS bad.

We were just out-muscled and out-performed by a competent side who wanted it more. No-one could argue with 3-0 being a fair reflection of the game, in fact it could have been 3-0 at half time. Ironically, although Portsmouth didn't seem to play with quite the intensity going forward in the second half after taking lead they scored twice as many goals.

Being behind what I still think of as The South Park end goal it was noticeable that while our defending in the first half could be described as desperate, Portsmouth's after the break was simply competent.

I don't think the defeat was anything to do with the formation or tactics - almost all the players were just too sloppy in their performance.

After eight home games in the last 20 years I'm STILL waiting to see a home win.

Well, back home tonight after my overnight stay for last night's match and haven't yet had the pleasure(?) of reading through this and other threads.

I don't always agree with some of the assessments on here of the team's performance, but...

That WAS bad.

We were just out-muscled and out-performed by a competent side who wanted it more. No-one could argue with 3-0 being a fair reflection of the game, in fact it could have been 3-0 at half time. Ironically, although Portsmouth didn't seem to play with quite the intensity going forward in the second half after taking lead they scored twice as many goals.

Being behind what I still think of as The South Park end goal it was noticeable that while our defending in the first half could be described as desperate, Portsmouth's after the break was simply competent.

I don't think the defeat was anything to do with the formation or tactics - almost all the players were just too sloppy in their performance.

After eight home games in the last 20 years I'm STILL waiting to see a home win.

Shall not moan anymore about only seeing 2 home wins this season Merthyr!

Last edited:
Do we know when Scully will be back ? Just have a nagging suspicion that we are nursing him before a big money move away in January. With the painfully weak forward line we need him on Saturday and the rest of the season.

Just watching Man City v PSG two very gifted sides. They both play football at the back but when high pressed they pass it back to the keeper if under pressure he boots it up field. Surely as we are not as gifted that may be an option for us instead of tip tapping about in our own six yard box

Fiorini, the latter can shoot from 25 yards but I'm not sure he effects the game enough.
This is one of the frustrations in watching Fiorini play. To loiter about in the hope of picking up a loose ball on the edge of the opponents penalty area before trying to score a worldie is a low percentage tactic that rarely pays off.

Last edited:
Been mulling over thoughts before posting.

Not going to say too much. Two main thoughts 24 hours later:

Lack of fight and lack of unity most frustrating thing. Other than perhaps defence we look more like a group of individuals than a team.

Echo what others have said about transfer window. Really worry about Sanders if he can’t get in ahead of Sorenson.

In general some really disappointing views expressed about last night bearing in mind we are in significant period of transition - the recruitment team need a squib up their arse - and we need a sort out of players susceptible to longer periods on the treatment table - I would release older players who can't make 35+ games a season otherwise known as Walsh, Jackson and Bridcutt.
Remember Big Keith used to say ‘they’re no good to me unless they can play 40 games a season’ as well as ‘you can never have too many forwards’. Wise words.

In a way I feel for MA, I think he made the correct call with Jacko, playing against Doncaster and Accrington and not Pompey. The only other call was Draper or n’lunduno which in either case I think they would of had three surrounding them and Raggett immediately in there ear. Sanders was the other question.

I have to question Fiorini’s performances how much they have dropped off in the last month or so. I wouldn’t start him on Saturday with Sanders either in his spot or Sanders swopping position with McGrandles and McGrandles moving further forward.

Given the injury problems I thought a goalless draw would of been a great result. We have a small squad with a lot of niggles and injuries. We have the spine of our team who seems constantly missing, Walsh, Bridcutt and Hopper.

Regarding the earlier comments of recruitment, I personally think we have done extremely well in recent years. Tyler Walker 17 goals up till end of January? Even then replaced by Bridcutt.

Johnson,Rodgers and Morell providing the ammunition for a limited 10 goals a season Hopper. But the goals were coming from all over the pitch,so it didn’t matter so much.

I thought signing TJ was an excellent deal but sadly he seems to have no confidence and last night was very poor.

The salary cap cut off has clearly made a difference as the madness has started again huge wages, transfers and agents fees, as long as I have a team to watch I will be happy. I wonder if some of the clubs have considered what would happen should another covid lockdown take hold.

I worry if we don’t get a goal scorer in January who quickly settles, as we generally can’t score and can’t keep a clean sheet which doesn’t add up to many points.

Last edited:
Well that was a tough watch. Not much to add to what’s been a good discussion on here, other than to say we won a fair few games last year by the odd goal because of our outstanding forward players. They’ve been impossible to replace.

One thing I don’t get (and it’s more related to other social media than here) - what’s with some ‘fans’ seemingly reveling in Cowley coming here and getting a result?

Interested in what you said Merthyr, about us being “outmuscled” by Pompey. I don’t think Pompey overly ‘muscled‘ us out the game, but I do think they wanted it more and reacted faster and more determinedly to every first and second ball. We were slower at times, both in thought and in execution and the Pompey players frequently nipped in and stole the ball while some of our players were still thinking about what to do. That to me was one of the main differences Brennan brought to the side last year - he was a quick thinker and had quick feet

i think it shows you how much the injuries have created this issue - in an ideal world our starting striker would be on loan somewhere like FGR where he can learn some more and his substitute is better suited to a 2 year deal at Eastleigh.

i assume one of the draws of signing riskier injury prone players is that they are cheaper then the more fit and able. In January we need ready out of the box players.

I have a suspicion that it’s going to cost us quiet a bit but the reward would be league 1 football next season. If we stay as we are now i can only see relegation

Well that was a tough watch. Not much to add to what’s been a good discussion on here, other than to say we won a fair few games last year by the odd goal because of our outstanding forward players. They’ve been impossible to replace.

One thing I don’t get (and it’s more related to other social media than here) - what’s with some ‘fans’ seemingly reveling in Cowley coming here and getting a result?
I haven't seen anyone "revelling" in the fact the Cowleys got a result. I applauded them, for what they did when they were here. After that, I, like most fans were hoping they would get battered. Sadly, it was not to be

Donny & Accrington - possibility of a higher haul of points 🤔

I don't get it.
People who are expecting to lose a perfectly winnable game by not playing our best and most experienced centre back but play him against teams who are second bottom and 17th.
I will except I'm in the minority but to me it's not right. It's a defeatist attitude.

I don't get it.
People who are expecting to lose a perfectly winnable game by not playing our best and most experienced centre back but play him against teams who are second bottom and 17th.
I will except I'm in the minority but to me it's not right. It's a defeatist attitude.

Exactly so.

I don't get it.
I don’t get why given a choice of having him available for 1 game out of 3 or 2 out of 3 you wouldn’t choose 2.