Match Thread: Lincoln City v Portsmouth | Page 23 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Portsmouth

I don’t get why given a choice of having him available for 1 game out of 3 or 2 out of 3 you wouldn’t choose 2.
I would of chose 2.
He's rested against Doncaster cos they are second bottom but that didn't quite go as planned but we didn't get beat.
He plays against Portsmouth because he's our best and most experienced defender and we need that type of player on the pitch for games like that.

And barring that he hasn't picked up a significant injury against Portsmouth he plays on Saturday against Accrington because that is a game we simply need to win.

Why wouldn't he be able to play on Tuesday night then Saturday bearing in mind he had the previous Saturday off and after Saturday could have 2 weeks rest if required missing the efl Cup game at Carlisle on Tuesday, the FA Cup game at home to Hartlepool ( I would really expect him to play in that)up to the following week's league game at Cheltenham where he would definitely be expected to play.

Last edited:

oldgaurd

Vital 1st Team Regular
Just watching Man City v PSG two very gifted sides. They both play football at the back but when high pressed they pass it back to the keeper if under pressure he boots it up field. Surely as we are not as gifted that may be an option for us instead of tip tapping about in our own six yard box
Yeah .I watched that match and you could see both Pep and Potch encouraging their players to stop fucking around at the back and get in the mixer .

PerthImp

Vital Football Hero
I would of chose 2.
He's rested against Doncaster cos they are second bottom but that didn't quite go as planned but we didn't get beat.
He plays against Portsmouth because he's our best and most experienced defender and we need that type of player on the pitch for games like that.

And barring that he hasn't picked up a significant injury against Portsmouth he plays on Saturday against Accrington because that is a game we simply need to win.

Why wouldn't he be able to play on Tuesday night then Saturday bearing in mind he had the previous Saturday off and after Saturday could have 2 weeks rest if required missing the efl Cup game at Carlisle on Tuesday, the FA Cup game at home to Hartlepool ( I would really expect him to play in that)up to the following week's league game at Cheltenham where he would definitely be expected to play.
I understand what you’re saying, but for me the most important games are the one we stand the best chance of picking up points, which was Donny (which didn’t work out, although we got one) and Accrington. For me we were always going to struggle to get a result against Pompey, even with a fit Jacko playing. My biggest fear was that he would play against Pompey, pick up another injury and then not be available for Accrington. That was my thinking, for what it’s worth, but I don’t pick the team or dictate the tactics so it doesn’t really matter 🤔

Red Wimp

Vital Champions League
I would of chose 2.

Yeah but that wasn’t the option. He can’t play 2 games in a week currently.

Yeah but that wasn’t the option. He can’t play 2 games in a week currently.
Yes I have heard the manager say that he wouldn't want any 'niggles' Jackson has turning into anything more serious but how can you legislate for that.
I don't want to get run over crossing the road but I might.
He needs to be playing in games when we need him not being rested because people have already given Portsmouth the 3 points before we have even kicked off.

Rasenimp

Vital Football Legend
Just watching Man City v PSG two very gifted sides. They both play football at the back but when high pressed they pass it back to the keeper if under pressure he boots it up field. Surely as we are not as gifted that may be an option for us instead of tip tapping about in our own six yard box
Was at the game and I thought PSG actually struggled a bit with the City high press (that press is of unbelievable quality, in fairness). At one point Zinchenko and Bernardo were all over them in their own box, and punting it long towards Messi, Neymar and Mbappe to get eaten alive is definitely not first choice!

It did make me think that you have to accept sometimes it is hard to play through, but not that you would abandon it all together. Very much last resort territory!