Match Thread: Lincoln City v Oxford United | Page 2 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Oxford United

You'd think Oxford eye Bayern Munich the way people are talking about them! They're a good League one side but there's absolutely no reason why we can't beat them. I think it'll be a good time to play them too, hopefully they'll have the disappointment of the play offs fresh in their minds and perhaps slightly less energy in their legs!

Just playing catch up with the manager articles on Twitter, then I better wash my hair ready for the Video Call!

:lol:

You'd think Oxford eye Bayern Munich the way people are talking about them! They're a good League one side but there's absolutely no reason why we can't beat them. I think it'll be a good time to play them too, hopefully they'll have the disappointment of the play offs fresh in their minds and perhaps slightly less energy in their legs!

It’s a combination of Oxford having less churn and being seemingly completely comfortable and experienced in the way they play and us looking pretty shaky (in my humble opinion) defensively, not just in defence.

Obviously I hope they don’t see much of the ball and we can just walk the ball into the net numerous times,

It’s a combination of Oxford having less churn and being seemingly completely comfortable and experienced in the way they play and us looking pretty shaky (in my humble opinion) defensively, not just in defence.
I think our main problem is in midfield - both Crewe and Scunthorpe ran straight through the middle on a number of occasions and left Edun and the central defenders completely exposed. Better teams would have caused us real problems. We have a non-tackling central midfield, if those two games are anything to go by. That worries me, because Oxford are exactly the sort of side to exploit that. I hope I am wrong.

I think our main problem is in midfield - both Crewe and Scunthorpe ran straight through the middle on a number of occasions and left Edun and the central defenders completely exposed. Better teams would have caused us real problems. We have a non-tackling central midfield, if those two games are anything to go by. That worries me, because Oxford are exactly the sort of side to exploit that. I hope I am wrong.
agree with all that. edun was left exposed, after edun himself gave the ball away in the last man position in midfield. happened in both games. signs of him having learned that lesson today will be a step forward. have been surprised by edun getting caught on the ball and misplacing easy passes, as he has played a very high level for england in the dm position. maybe he gets better against a better team. about to find out.

the midfield did a degree of rotating in the crewe game, notice that mcgrandles and jones didn't give the ball away once when in possession in the deepest midfielder position.

re: non-tackling, i also think we need to think about the innocuous looking but cynical foul on the halfway line in these situations - to stop the counter attack early. something that we will have with a bit more experience of assessing the danger.

imo, we get pretty much all of this into the team once bridcutt is back.

uti.

I felt a real temptation to do my usual match day walk down to the ground late this morning. My wife is due major surgery soon, so I'm in lockdown anyway. I'll be sat using any technology I can cope with and humming the odd chant- I'm Upper Co-Op so need to keep my voice ready for the return. UTI!

Obviously I hope they don’t see much of the ball and we can just walk the ball into the net numerous times,

All true and if we're all honest Oxford would beat us more times than not if all things were equal. I was more getting at the fact that their not an elite side, they have weaknesses and flaws like any side, particularly one in the third tier. It's also the first game of the season after a very strange build up, no team will be anywhere near their best yet. I think we've got every chance of catching them cold.