Match Thread: Lincoln City v Oldham Athletic | Page 18 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Oldham Athletic

I might be wrong (often am with football) but I reckon Scholes accepts what he has inherited and is biding his time until next season when he can have a clear-out and get his own squad together. Be interesting to see how they go with recruitment, etc during the close season.

And hadn't realised about the MK v Mansfield fixture to come.
Which therefore means, at most, 16 points now needed for promotion from last nine games.
That is correct - 16. That assumes that MKD and Mansfield both win all their remaining games prior to the final day.

I have been playing with a few permutations: apologies if these are wrong, I am no mathematician.

a) If Lincoln beat Mansfield or MK Dons, it falls to 15 (i.e. 12 more in addition to the three points from that win).

b) If Lincoln beat both Mansfield and MK Dons, it falls to 13 (i.e. 7 more in addition to the six points from those two wins).

In other words, we need five wins and a draw - 91 points - to be certain (or four wins and four draws).

Or five wins provided one of them is either Mansfield or MK Dons - 90 points (or four wins and three draws).

Or four wins and one draw provided we beat both Mansfield and MK Dons - 88 points (or three wins and four draws).

Those requirements tumble with every game MKD and Mansfield fail to win.

That is correct - 16. That assumes that MKD and Mansfield both win all their remaining games prior to the final day....

You could have probably stopped there Scotimp.

I've decided to put £1 on MKD and Mansfield winning all their remaining games up to the final day.

If it comes up I'm collecting almost £10,000.

It would almost be worth it.

Will read thread later on but thought I would post the Baxter red if anyone hasn;t seen it:

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1105567282351230979/pu/vid/1280x720/Pv8-0SLIVM46A_dA.mp4?tag=8

Oh and the lad who went off after he tried to make out Bostwick had barged him into the hoardings...............and then decided he was going to have Bolger ending up injuring himself.......................is getting a pasting on the Oldham board. Because he decided to do an instagram video from inside his ambulance with oxygen mask on and had the time to put graphics on the video :) They are spitting feathers. lol

Can you imagine a City player doing that? Minerals and all? Maybe Bostwick being filmed by someone else as he attempts to fight his way out of the ambulance and back to the pitch.
This Muppet went to 'try' and barge Bossie off the ball as it was going out for a throw. After being rescued by an intrepid City fan, as he tumbles over the hordings he decides to get revenge by charging after Bolger, then gets injured. This must be in the next episode of Casualty!?

Watching the game highlights on Sky Sports News this morning. After the 'tackle that took out Harry did anybody else viewing this see their player then stride across and raise his foot above Harry's body. Not a stamp maybe just to role his body over!?

This Muppet went to 'try' and barge Bossie off the ball as it was going out for a throw. After being rescued by an intrepid City fan, as he tumbles over the hordings he decides to get revenge by charging after Bolger, then gets injured. This must be in the next episode of Casualty!?
I think it was that challenge that wound Bolger up, when the 2 footed tackled went in on Anderson. Oldham had got away with a few pull backs and Rheady had gone down several times.

Well that was a game of 2 eighth's. As in 1st 10-15 minutes hardly got a kick, Oldham knocking the ball around, Gilks made a couple of decent saves. Then for the next 75 minutes we more or less were in control. Not sure whether we stepped up or they ran out of steam/ideas. Nice to see plan A & B on display quite clearly, played some good stuff, should have had more goals, but actually if that is a fault we're not the type of team who very often go on to a convincing win (odd exception Port Vale etc.).
Not our concern, but I thought Oldham had a poor attitude for most of the game. Although their keeper probably MOM for them it was kind of him to keep giving the ball back to Gilks in the 2nd half (I don't think he learned at all)

Theoretical maximum points totals:

102 Lincoln 37/75
97 Bury 37/70
92 Mansfield 37/65
92 MK 37/65
88 Tranmere 37/61
85 Exeter 36/55
84 FGR 37/57
84 Colchester 37/57
83 Carlisle 37/56
80 Swindon 36/50
79 Stevenage 37/52
79 Newport 36/49
78 Northampton 37/51
75 Oldham 37/48

Theoretical maximum points totals:

102 Lincoln 37/75
97 Bury 37/70
92 Mansfield 37/65
92 MK 37/65
88 Tranmere 37/61
85 Exeter 36/55
84 FGR 37/57
84 Colchester 37/57
83 Carlisle 37/56
80 Swindon 36/50
79 Stevenage 37/52
79 Newport 36/49
78 Northampton 37/51
75 Oldham 37/48

But presumably not mathematically as some of those will be playing each other

That is correct - 16. That assumes that MKD and Mansfield both win all their remaining games prior to the final day.

I have been playing with a few permutations: apologies if these are wrong, I am no mathematician.

a) If Lincoln beat Mansfield or MK Dons, it falls to 15 (i.e. 12 more in addition to the three points from that win).

b) If Lincoln beat both Mansfield and MK Dons, it falls to 13 (i.e. 7 more in addition to the six points from those two wins).

In other words, we need five wins and a draw - 91 points - to be certain (or four wins and four draws).

Or five wins provided one of them is either Mansfield or MK Dons - 90 points (or four wins and three draws).

Or four wins and one draw provided we beat both Mansfield and MK Dons - 88 points (or three wins and four draws).

Those requirements tumble with every game MKD and Mansfield fail to win.

Yes agree exactly with all that
(And I am a mathematician as it happens!)

You could have probably stopped there Scotimp.

I've decided to put £1 on MKD and Mansfield winning all their remaining games up to the final day.

If it comes up I'm collecting almost £10,000.

It would almost be worth it.

I hope you haven't spent that pound as they can't both win all their games as they play each other...so the bet would be impossible to come up.

Tranmere's upturn in form is an interesting twist. They now have an outside chance of gatecrashing the top three. Not only do they have an away game against us, but they also have home games against MK Dons and Bury.
If they manage to beat those two I would gladly give them 3rd spot